Questions About Lone Wolf Multiplayer

acseric

Mongoose
Hi All,

New to the forums and thinking about getting lone wolf multiplayer as a way to introduce my sons to RPGs. That being said, I have a few questions so I know what is available and what I will need.

So here is my understanding of what is available:

Lone Wolf Multiplayer Gamebook - Basic Rules - Kai Lord only class
Heroes of Magnamund - Additional character classes
Magnamund Bestiary - Monsters
Book of the Magnakai - Rules for higher level characters
Sommerlund - Nation Sourcebook (gameworld setting info)

I know there is also the Terror of the Darklords campaign, but based on reviews I have read, it sounds like it might be somwhat frustrating and inflexible.

So, what other books are good (perhaps new ones coming out)?

Can I modify the lone wolf single player gamebooks for use as adventures?

Is there another good source of adventures?

Any other advice you might have would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

Player Books - Lone Wolf MPG, Heroes of Magnamund and Book of Magnakai

Region Books - Sommerlund, Darklands*, Stornlands*

Adventure Books - Terror of the Darklords, Corruption of Ikaya

Other Books - Magnamund Bestiary

*released next month

All of the books are decent additions to the game though utility will vary. For example, Book of Magnakai only kicks in at higher levels and region books will depend on where you game is set (though Sommerlund is the default setting and Darklands should also give good insight on the bad guys).

In terms of adventures:

- I enjoyed reading Terror of the Darklords but I have yet to play it. Most Lone Wolf adventures are heavily structured on the basis that the RPG caters for new RPGers including GMs. I think an experienced RPGer could still get great value from the adventure.

- There are loads of adventures in Signs and Portents, which is free. I listed them in a separate thread on this forum, though I did not recall the issue numbers.

- I highly recommend Blood Moon Rising. I also liked Dawn of Destruction though it's a 64 page book for what would be just a 3 hour session! Both are for the OGL version but conversion is easy.

- The LWMPG has an adventure in in. However the climatic third part is in S&P called Enemy Mine. It's good but even more introductory than the others. Again, an experienced RPGer can get good value from it regardless.

- You can certainly use the solo books as adventures, with the normal issues of converting such a book to multiplayer format. I recommend using them as inspiration, especially as the stories in the solo books are so strong.

My recommendations after the main book would be Heroes of Magnamund, followed by Sommerlund and the Magnamund Bestiary.

Hal: The introductory adventure is basically just that, pitched to very new players/GM's. That was the brief - so if that's what you think of it :) job done!

The Wolf said:
Hal: The introductory adventure is basically just that, pitched to very new players/GM's. That was the brief - so if that's what you think of it :) job done!

No probs here. I think it was pitched very well (though removing the ending is very odd).

Originally it was 3 adventures that slot together... so for some reason (probably space) part 1&2 were put into the book and 3 was put into S&P. It took me by surprise when I first saw it...heh...

The Wolf said:
Originally it was 3 adventures that slot together... so for some reason (probably space) part 1&2 were put into the book and 3 was put into S&P. It took me by surprise when I first saw it...heh...

Its not a big issue at the end of the day for me but if you aiming for an introductory RPG, then you don't want to have to rely on them working out stuff like this by having to resort to the net. At 112 pages, it wouldn't have made it any bigger than other LW books at the same price. At least put a reference or link in the rulebook!

hal said:
The Wolf said:

Its not a big issue at the end of the day for me but if you aiming for an introductory RPG, then you don't want to have to rely on them working out stuff like this by having to resort to the net. At 112 pages, it wouldn't have made it any bigger than other LW books at the same price. At least put a reference or link in the rulebook!

Sadly I have no control over anything like that, I'm in agreement with you though.

Back