Question: If you sail east of Lemuria...

...where will you get?
:shock:

The Earth is a sphere - does this apply to "conan´s earth" hyboria, too?
I think so, but then: what´s east of Lemuria? :D
Just water until you reach the Pictish Wilderness?

Never really thought about it.

hmm...
ja...maybe?

:D

I don´t know all of the conan-stories yet.
Does Howard give us a hint what adventurers will find east of lemuria?
:twisted:

Not at all. He is very vague about wjhat can be found there and even don't mentions Vedhya or Khitai. These are inventions of later authors. As far as I know, moest east in his works countries are Turan and Hyrkania.

Paladyn said:
Not at all. He is very vague about wjhat can be found there and even don't mentions Vedhya or Khitai. These are inventions of later authors. As far as I know, moest east in his works countries are Turan and Hyrkania.

Nope. People of the Black Circle takes partially place in Vendhya. Many characters mention having studied sorcery in Khitai. In Hour of the Dragon there are Khitan people involved in the story. Howard just never described Khitai in detail, it is all hear-say from other characters - Conan never goes there. Regarding west... I think the island in Pool of the Black Ones is furthest west Conan ever goes... and the Hyborian Age essay doesn't mention anything being there either.

My bad. It was long ago since I read "People of the Black Circle" and "Hour of the Dragon". Now I bought audiobooks and listen to them while driving to work, I finished "Coming of Conan the Cimmerian" and go for a second part, where those stories are.

REH did not write an accurate setting for RPG.
Furthermore later authors modified or created a lot, with creation of different levels of quality.
It is all a matter of what do you accept or not.
Or of what you create or not.
If you like L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter, maybe you'll find there Antilia (Conan of the isles), but maybe not...it's all up to you and what you decied as a GameMaster!

REH did mention in his writing that Conan did travel to an un-named continent to the west. I think this was in one of his letters to another author. I think this was the basis of Conan of the Isles.

8)
Ah, I like the idea of unknown territory out there.

I don´t know Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter but I think I give them a try.

Any storys recommended beside Conan of the Isles?

If you read Howard's non-Conan stories (such as his Kull stories and others) you can get a pretty good idea of what the rest of the world is like. Dale Rippke outlines it really well in his book, "Hyborian Heresies."

In a letter, Howard does mention a nameless continent in the western hemisphere, with islands adjacent to it.

In REH's "Men of Shadows," the origins of the Pictish race is outlined, showing some of the history of that nameless continent, and how the Picts (the Nameless Race) fought with the Lemurians.

In "Marchers of Valhalla," you have a story taking place toward the end of the Hyborian age. An Aesir tribe goes globe-trotting and end up at the Gulf of Mexico, looking at the Lemurian city of Khemu.

The western continent had a northern and southern portion, with a central land-bridge. The northern continent is mostly uninhabitable, although a race identifying with the Lemurians builds along the southern coast. The Lemurians on the land bridge evolve into the Toltec empire. Atlantean refugees live on the adjacent islands to the east of the landmass (Antilla). The Southern Continent becomes Mayapan. Mu lies far off the western shores of the southern continent.

As far as what one would find sailing east of Lemuria. The most direct answer is, that is entirely up to you. Aside from a few vague, offhanded comments, there is nothing Canon (Canon in this case meaning, penned by Howard) on the subject.
As far as the world being spherical the answer should be yes. The Hyborian Age isn't a separate fantasy world, but a lost/Mythological age of the Earth, prior to thousands of years of Continental drift, so the spherical shape of the earth, as well as most of the Physical laws we all are bound by, should still apply.

Nyarlathotep5150 said:
As far as what one would find sailing east of Lemuria. The most direct answer is, that is entirely up to you. Aside from a few vague, offhanded comments, there is nothing Canon (Canon in this case meaning, penned by Howard) on the subject.

Ummm, the stories I mentioned above are Canon... and penned by Robert E. Howard. A strong case can be made for what is out there beyond the Thurian continent of the Hyborian age in the mind of REH.

I haven't read those specific stories, but for the most part I lumped those in with the "offhanded comments". There are stories to tell of other landmasses in the world of course, as well as the obvious logical assumption that there should be another continent out there that became America.
But specifically where those are in relationship to the Hyborian Continent, and their Full size and number are left pretty vague.
I meant to imply that if one specifically sailed due East from Lemuria where they end up is an unknown. Not to say that those other landmasses wheren't out there, just that their placement in Reference to Hyboria, as well as their size is probably very different than the current continental layout.

Back