Question: Boompowder

madpoet

Mongoose
How long it takes to create a Keg of boompowder?

If I m not wrong with a dice roll scoring the minimum required to pass the check (DC20) it takes more than 2 weeks.

Right?

So a Dwarven Gunner every 12 gunshots need to work a few weeks.

Poor dwarf............ :cry:

It's a bit more complicated than that. Here's a helpful quote from a post I made elsewhere (regarding a 2nd level dwarf ginner with a total of +5 in the relavent skill). Basicaly with average dice rolls he's looking at 8 weeks uninterrupted work to mix up another batch of boompowder (and that'll include two catastrophic failures).

On average he can expect to successfuly make a batch when he's about 5th level. So it's kind of handy that he also wears heavy armour, carries a hand weapon, shield and crossbow. He likes to be well prepared :).

Things that go Boom!

Making boompowder is a dc 20 craft check. Most craft checks are lower (and therefore easier, and quicker).

I'm perfectly happy with the rules as is. Here's my (simplified) version of them (by which I mean, the default version but with all the numbers actualy factored in).

Base 100
x10 = 1000

20 7 days

20 x20 = 400
21x20 = 420
22x20 = 440
23x20 = 460
24x20 = 480
25x20 = 500

16+ no progress
15 or less - spoilt half the ingredients, must replace before work can continue

To clarify: Adric's alchemy skill is at +5.

A skill check resembles a week's work (total).

If he gets a 15 or less he spoils half the ingreiendts and must replace them (half of 33gc worth so not too bad).
If he gets 16-19 he makes no progress on that week.

To complete the batch he must complete 1000 work units (100x10).

If he gets a 20 he completes 400 units (or 40% of the batch).
A 21 is 420 units (or 42%)
A 22 is 440 units (44%)
A 23 is 460 units (46%)
A 24 is 480 units (48%)
And a 25 is 500 units (50%).

This can then be continued into another week. He can take ten but that'd only be a 15.
He can't afford the 500gc for the propper tools to get a bonus on the skill check.
He can increase his skill when he gains another level (in which case I'll update the units and percentages in this post to indicate his new skill level).

As far as I'm concerned, if there's only 40 units left and his skill check succeeds, he clearly spent less than a week finishing it (it's all relative and proportional).

I'm in no rush to make anything. I'm just taking advantage of the temporary low prices to purchase supplies for later. Obviously Adric bought his supplies from different shops and in inapropriate ammounts so they wouldn't be able to recreate his work (getting bits and pieces in different proportions from different places).

Yes BUM and not BOOM

I strongly believe the rule concerning Bor's Gunpowder is unfair and unrealistic. (despite the fact I m not planning to role a Gunner)

It would never take more than a day to prepare a keg of gun (or boom) powder even in a fantasy setting.

With the normal rules creating a boom powder cost and takes time more than making a Chainmail Waistcoat.

Absurd.

Also how can we allow a character class to be focused on Gun and related items if they can shot 12 bullet every month?

They already have a big reload issue but it s nothing compared with the supply problem.

In our campaign I think our Master will rule that the Boompowder's price was written taking into account the extra price every dwarf would charge before selling a Keg to somebody else.

A keg/day is a fair rate for creating boompowder and still limit a Gunner to 12 shots every day before starting to consume his reserve.

I would guess that in Bor there were dedicated Boompowder 'smiths'. A gunner would only have to worry about making his own boompowder if he is away from Bor and doesn't have the means to buy more.

madpoet said:
A keg/day is a fair rate for creating boompowder and still limit a Gunner to 12 shots every day before starting to consume his reserve.

Actualy you're not likely to get through more than three or four shots per day unless you're talking really high play.

Actualy you're not likely to get through more than three or four shots per day unless you're talking really high play.[/quote]

Honestly I don t know what s 'normal' encounter rate in a 'classic' Lone Wolf adventure 'cause only in January we'll finally start both the Sign and Portents and Dawn of etc etc Campaign.

Anyway a Gunner can t pierce an armor better than an arrow, cost a lot more to buy and takes a lot of time to reload and even more to create.

And how a country like Bor can possibly afford to replace her Gunner's powder for free if every keg require an alchemist (dwarven of course) to work for a month at least?

:shock:

A gunner just killed a level 20 dark cultist with a few nicely placed shots, I don't think an arrow strike could do that :D

I think it should be noted Adric is only a level 2 gunner - obviously craftsmen with better skills will be able to generate more with better skill chances. And I'm guessing the Dwarf nation could trade what they consider worthless rejects of their operations with other nations for food and useful boom powder materials so it is essentially 'free' for the craftsmen. Perhaps! (Looking for conformation for someone who has more experience)

beowuuf said:
A gunner just killed a level 20 dark cultist with a few nicely placed shots, I don't think an arrow strike could do that :D

Lad, yo' re the second person I hear saying the Gunner blast a lot and honestly I cannot even guess how a Dwarf can manage to do extraordinary damage (save for a lucky critical hit).

Nearly every special power of the Gunner can ' t be combined with the other class abilities.

Poor Gunners......

'When a Dwarf with a Bor Rifle meet a Dwarf with a Handgun... the dwarf with the handgun is a dead one......'

madpoet said:
Lad, yo' re the second person I hear saying the Gunner blast a lot and honestly I cannot even guess how a Dwarf can manage to do extraordinary damage (save for a lucky critical hit).

They get those bonus "sneak attack" damage dice with gunshots and the only requirement is a range (no flanking or anything required). With the right secrets of the gun a 20th level gunner can shoot for 2d8 plus something like 5 or 6 d6's. He can then throw in fire shot or something (and the secret of the gun that increases the damage by 1 or 2 points) and it starts getting really big.

I think it should be noted Adric is only a level 2 gunner

I actualy included that in my post. I forgot to mention the "assist another" action 'though. Two or three dwarfs working on the same batch of boompowder could cut down production times a bit.

Yes Adric is a 2nd level gunner but he's also a second level dwarf who doesn't use his gun much (powder's too valuable to waste). To date I think he's fired off about four shots (and he was reluctant to shoot the fourth time).

That being said he was the one bravely fighting his way through giaks on Toran's docks with a waraxe in one hand and his keg of boompowder in the other (primed to light and hurl when he got near enough to the foul sorceror). As fate would have it his target was struck down before he got the chance to waste his valuable powder but he did take down something like four or five giaks in that one scene alone (which kind of made up for all those low rolls he'd had in the entire adventure up 'till then).

Yeah, Dawn of Destruction was fun. Adric was cursed with ill fortune and low spirits until the end when he went on a killing spree :).

Don't forget the mad mage who killed himself casting a tier III Mind Charm to give himself some psychological damage, then revived jumped int othe harbour and got attacked by a squid and received more psychological damage! :D

beowuuf said:
Don't forget the mad mage who killed himself casting a tier III Mind Charm to give himself some psychological damage, then revived jumped int othe harbour and got attacked by a squid and received more psychological damage! :D

Yes, that was pretty unexpected.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
beowuuf said:

Yes, that was pretty unexpected.

Yes, that squid may never recover.

Going back to the question of Boompowder I assumed that the rules were for Dwarves working on there own, or with a little assistance, in the equivalent of a laboratory. I would imagine that in the Kingdom of Bor there would be dedicated facilities just for the production of the powder, working almost constantly with a large amount of staff working in shifts, ensuring a fairly constant supply to the Gunners.

Back