Q&A With Mr. Dever (something I'd like to see)

Ordovician

Mongoose
You know, I for one and I'm sure several others on this board would like to see a sort of Q&A thread with Joe Dever on, well, a variety of topics. Don't know if this is even vaguely feasible or not (don't know what his schedule is like or anything like that), but it's a neat idea, I think.

For my part, I'd like to ask him:

- Some things on Magnamund, from a world-building perspective. The typical world-building questions, whether he started with a map of the continents or started by developing a smaller area (say, Sommerlund) and expanded the world as it needed done.

- Which version of (A)D&D he created it for (I think he may've said 1E in a previous interview, but I'm not sure).

- Whether the original feel of Magnamund in his gaming was like what we know as Lone Wolf, or whether it was more typical D&D.

- What the monsters were like originally; IE, did he work up new stats for a Giak, or simply use a goblin? Were Vordaks skeletons with psionic powers? Helghasts simply doppelgangers with a modified shocking grasp?

Probably other things, but that's all I can think of ATM.

What would he like to see happen with Lone Wolf in the future, whether it be the RPG or gamebooks?

What his plans were for the last four New Order books (though I know this one won't get answered, as he wants to keep it to himself, I'd still like to know!)

His thoughts on the RPG, has he played it, and does he still play D&D?

What his plans were for the last four New Order books
And what his plans are for the last four books. :) That is, what are the odds of them being published in some form or fashion.

Also, what his "flow" is (was) when writing one of the adventures? Such as how he went from an idea to 350 mixed sections.

KL

The most important one would be the direction the new order books would have gone post 28. As one of his millions of fans who bought 28 books, I think we deserve to know! :lol:

KaiLord said:
Also, what his "flow" is (was) when writing one of the adventures? Such as how he went from an idea to 350 mixed sections.
KL

Luckily for you, he has already answered this question: http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~as300/dever.html (search for the "about the books" section). :)

I agree with the question about the last four books, especially whether he planned Agarash's return or not. I'd also like to know the improved disciplines up to the rank of Kai Supreme Master, but i understand this question will hardly be answered.

But most of all, [BOOK 28 SPOILER]
was Sejanoz's death decided because of the premature end of the series or did he plan to kill him in book 28 anyway?
[/SPOILER]

Of course, there are a lot more questions i'd like to ask, like how did Naar obtain the Moonstone, what happened to Grey Star, etc. But questions like these are probably beyond the purpose of this Q&A thread.

Greystar's fate is already posted in a newsletter on Project Aon. I forget the number though, but ask around there.

basically, Grey Star became the next Wytch-King, and the lady became his Wytch-Queen. They both were rulers of Shadaki up until the last book of the new order series.

(Basically, gs had a happily ever after ending) :)

Xex said:
Greystar's fate is already posted in a newsletter on Project Aon. I forget the number though, but ask around there.

basically, Grey Star became the next Wytch-King, and the lady became his Wytch-Queen. They both were rulers of Shadaki up until the last book of the new order series.

I knew about that newsletter, but it is heavily contradicted in "The Buccaneers of Shadaki".

I would probably ask him more detail questions about the cultures of magnamund. Probably questions about the non-human races, i.e. Ogrons, Kloons, Starn Giants. etc.

I would love to ask him a few questions about Lencia, Ruel, Cener Druids..etc.

Nyxator said:
Xex said:

I knew about that newsletter, but it is heavily contradicted in "The Buccaneers of Shadaki".

How so? I have not read the bOs; I would think it obvious you may not actually meet greystar, how is the newletter quote contradicted? Was someone else ruling shadaki at the time?

Xex said:
Nyxator said:

How so? I have not read the bOs; I would think it obvious you may not actually meet greystar, how is the newletter quote contradicted? Was someone else ruling shadaki at the time?

Yes, I'd also like to know that, because I've never had the chance to read the Buccaneers (last one I got was #21).

Grey Star mysteriously disappeared three months before the arrival of the Grand Master, and his kingdom is in deep troubles (riots, impending civil war, buccaneers, evil shamans, followers of Shasarak who are gaining more and more influence over the people... that sort of things). Also, the Shianti are still living on the Isle of Lorn.

Nyxator said:
Grey Star mysteriously disappeared three months before the arrival of the Grand Master, and his kingdom is in deep troubles (riots, impending civil war, buccaneers, evil shamans, followers of Shasarak who are gaining more and more influence over the people... that sort of things). Also, the Shianti are still living on the Isle of Lorn.

And has that story arc been continued in later NO books?

I'd like to ask Joe Dever what he's doing these days. It's not a question of 'why haven't we gotten anything new from him for a while, dang it!', but more of a question of "So, what'cha up to, lately?".

If he's got any new and exciting projects lined up, that would be thrilling, but mostly I'd like to know how he spends his time. Still writing? What other hobbies do you partake in? When's your birthday? You know... Some interesting stuff about the man, not just the author.

I'd also just like to thank him for being such a positive influence on me as a youth, and getting me into the hobby of role-playing games.

Thank you,
Nerethel

I'd like to know how involved with the Lone Wolf RPG he was, and how much they asked him or referred to him for clarification.

I'd like to know how he feels to see Lone Wolf brought back in such a major way with the release of the rpg. And would he ever consider writing the Lone Wolf story as a series of novels, sort of a re-write of the Legends of Lone Wolf, without the lesser characters, and making Lone Wolf into more of a hero.

TheGreyLord said:
I'd like to know how involved with the Lone Wolf RPG he was, and how much they asked him or referred to him for clarification.

The guys from Mongoose have stated a few times that Mr. Dever approved each and every page of the book.

Back