Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes

• Never or almost never

• Total voters

René

Banded Mongoose
The only one I ever used was Sorcerer of the Scarlet Circle. The others were either represented by a combo (Hunt Master = Barbarian / Borderer) or a simple Core Class (Forest Runner = Borderer with Swift Strider Style) or useless (Master of Yimsha).

Well you´re rigth, prestige classes should be more for NPCs use.
I really like the simple multiclass system with the really cool "variant rules"

But i think that there would be some space for Prestige as PCs, but they would have to represent really special groups, martial, civilian or sorcerous that can´t be really defined by actual multiclass, and that carryed real roleplay restrictions with it, like the priest feat has.

I actually don´t use them... and if i do, there will be a restricted number of prestige classes, one for each race/sub-race, or specific a kingdom...

I've been willing to try the sorcerer of the scarlet circle and the dancing savage, but so far am sticking with a thief-barbarian using the ruffian variant rules from Hyboria's Fallen.

Never in Conan.

Almost never in other games... though some settings have PrestigeClasses that makes a lot of sense and there you almost feel like you have to take them.

Example: DragonLance; you can only advance 4 levels in Wizard or Sorcerer before you have to take your first level in "Wizard of High Sorcery - Prestige Class". That way they make sure you have to become "initiated" in order to procede and it is very difficult to become a high level spellcaster without using prestige classes. Another example: Midnight; here they have very general Basic classes that you then specify more by the use of Prestige classes. Channeler for instance is the basic spellcaster class, but as you gain levels you might want to specialize, Druid? Wizard and so on, they are all prestige classes, and it feels kind of good to take them.

Other than that though... in Conan or the Core setting... PrestigeClasses just feel artifical and stupid, just a pretence for gainging cool special abilities for your character, and not really a character development tool in the sense that it should be.

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:
Almost never in other games... though some settings have PrestigeClasses that makes a lot of sense and there you almost feel like you have to take them.

Example: DragonLance; you can only advance 4 levels in Wizard or Sorcerer before you have to take your first level in "Wizard of High Sorcery - Prestige Class". That way they make sure you have to become "initiated" in order to procede and it is very difficult to become a high level spellcaster without using prestige classes.
/wolf

Regarding Dragonlance. A couple of things.

1. Only Wizards may take levels of the Wizard of High Sorcery prestige class, not sorcerers.

2. You don't have to be a wizard character with the Wizard of High Sorcery prestige class to be either a member of that Order or a high level spellcaster. The prestige class merely represents those that are particularly dedicated to the Order. It is perfectly legitimate to be a high level member of the Wizards of High Sorcery and only have levels in the wizard class (assuming you take your Test and pass it).

As for Conan, I'd imagine it'd be much the same way with prestige classes, you can take them if you want to show particular dedication to whatever organization they represent, or just multiclass/select feats/etc. to accomplish roughly the same thing.

Back