[Poll] Official ruling on the White Star Fighters please

Do you think the WSC-L White star fighter should be part of ACTA properly?

• Yes, abso-fraggin-lutely!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, don't like it!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Don't know, haven't seen the stats from S&P or the Rangers RPG supplement!

• Have seen the stats from one or other source but don't care either way!

• Total voters
lastbesthope said:
The Victory was more for the ISA to enforce it's military will, which is not what the Anla'shok were originally for, but they're purpose altered when the Shadows and Vorlons went beyond the Rim. There is a subtle difference in my mind between the ANla'Shok and the ISA Fleets. Or maybe that's just me ?
I think this is the basics...But only when the ISA government felt it was needed and all other races were netural (Gulf War?)...
Or in those cases where they had to be discreet about their use of force...as someone said mentioning the fighters you can't always count on the member races to let you have their toys...
Still I think that the very concept of the ISA in regards to large scale fleet actions is to call on the member races for assistance...As another example (pre-ISA) when Sheridan bullied the League into providing space support for B5 itself...

She would have gone in and kicked Earth's botty. Imagine her twice as angry as the times she saved B5 from Clark's forces or kicked the Drakh mother ship's behind.
Actually I would agree, but to play devil's advocate she had promised him she wouldn't interfere and you know what her promises mean to her...

lastbesthope said:
She would have gone in and kicked Earth's botty. Imagine her twice as angry as the times she saved B5 from Clark's forces or kicked the Drakh mother ship's behind.

LBH

with the fury of god's own thunder.

frobisher said:
Scimitar said:
It should be noted that the Victory is distinctly lacking in the organic technology that characterised the White Stars, even though it includes reverse engineered Vorlon technology...
According to the fluff, the Victorys were supposed to include Vorlon organic skins, that was going to be one of the Minbari's big contributions to the project since Earth had handled most of the construction up to that point.

Supposedly after their initial shakedowns, Victory and Excalibur would have gone to Minbar to have the organic skins grown over them. However after the Drahk invasion the Excalibur was pressed into service in its existing form. They didn't have the time to add the organic skin. Also the Excalibur was going to be used in an exlporation role rather then front line combat meaning that it was probably felt it could survive without it.

Karhedron said:
According to the fluff, the Victorys were supposed to include Vorlon organic skins, that was going to be one of the Minbari's big contributions to the project since Earth had handled most of the construction up to that point.

Supposedly after their initial shakedowns, Victory and Excalibur would have gone to Minbar to have the organic skins grown over them. However after the Drahk invasion the Excalibur was pressed into service in its existing form. They didn't have the time to add the organic skin.
That I'd take with a huge pinch of salt, about a Siberian mine's worth ;)

Given that it was built at a secret location, if the organic armour was available, why not do it there? There were Minbari technicians there, and they made great play of the Crystalline armour in the movie - if it was to receive Vorlon Adaptive Armour, then why didn't Garibaldi mention this (saying how much better it would be when it has it)..?

Also, you perform a shakedown cruise after the ship is complete to work out the "bugs" in it. Adaptive armour would be an incredibly huge source of bugs IMO.

The clear implication of the season five seed for the Destroyer project was that they were running out of White Stars and they couldn't be easily replaced.

Karhedron said:
Also the Excalibur was going to be used in an exlporation role rather then front line combat meaning that it was probably felt it could survive without it.

Erm, have you seen the combat staying power the Victory class has compared to the ships around them. The Omegas were dropping like flies, and all that happened to the two Victories was that ran out of weapon systems pretty much...

Also, if the Minbari can graft the Vorlon Armour onto any old ship, then why don't we see this happen in the series..? It would be a great, cost effective way of upgrading existing ships. I suspect the only hull types the Minbari can do this to are White Stars and their ilk...

The ship that Sheridan vanished in didn't have the same nose as a normal White Star, plus it was a tad smaller (there's a pic of it in the Rangers supplement, a still from 'Sleeping in Light')

EDIT: Oops, I was replying there to an old post! Sorry...

I reckon that is the ship that inspired the White Star Fighter in the first place...

The comparison I'd make would be with the Manta Missile Destroyer in Battlefleet Gothic: In BFG, each stand of fighters or bombers represents an entire squadron of such (so roughly 4-6 Barracuda fighters per stand) but the Manta is so big and scary that it takes up an entire bomber wave stand all by itself, and gets an invulnerable save due to its advanced shielding and reinforced hull!

Plus, it's a damn fine resin model... in either BFG or Epic scale!

Gary

Another option would be to compare with the PFs (Fast patrol ships/gunboats) of the Star Fleet Universe, a step up in size and firepower from a fighter but still smaller than a frigate.

These little fellas caused all kinds of mayhem in the General War, and during and after the war were turned into a plethora of variants, from cargo and mining craft to fighter-conveyors and minesweepers.

Gary

Nerroth said:
Another option would be to compare with the PFs (Fast patrol ships/gunboats) of the Star Fleet Universe, a step up in size and firepower from a fighter but still smaller than a frigate.

That would be an LCV or SHF in B5W terms ;)

Back