Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To win, It makes me a MAN!

• I just make up numbers I am so bad.

• Total voters

H

Cosmic Mongoose
It would be nice to think we all go into a game or tournament just for fun, but lets face it, some people just have the burning desire to win, at the expense of your fun, your opponents fun, and any sense of fair play!. I'm sure we all have our moments like that, the thirst for revenge tips you over the edge, and you have a fleet of cheese at your disposal.

I appreciate a lot of people at least act like it's for fun, but you can tell, oh yes you can, those people whom have a burning desire to win at all costs. The fleet that sits in a dustcloud for stealth and snipes, the fleet that uses 6 bluestars to jpb you amongst others...

Me, I admit I used to want to win more than have fun, but My favourite ships and fleets are not designed for winning, and I would rather use what I like now, heck I even took a G'Quan in a recent tourney.. thats not the sign of someone wantign to win at all costs!

To be honest, a bit of both, but mostly for fun. I've fielded ships just because they'd recently been painted and I wanted to try them, and I've fielded ships because I thought they'd help me win - and the G'Quan has the distinction of fitting both categories!

hiffano said:
heck I even took a G'Quan in a recent tourney.. thats not the sign of someone wantign to win at all costs!
Maybe not, but when I put mine into the February tournament, it wasn't just for amusement. When you're picking something for the opponent to try to Assassinate, 70 damage plus the chance to resist criticals looks very appealing. :D

mixture - I like to win and now usually take fleets I think will do well -

on the other hand - I try to avoid being a rules lawyer and will often point out stuff people have missed /forgetton and this usually helps to make a good game.

Interestingly, arguably the most competitive member of Gregs Crew usually gets the most accolades for being fun to play with............

Where's the poll option for people who spent stupid amount of money on fleets but haven't had time to build them all yet...? :lol:

Where's the poll option for people who play to win but insist that they just play for fun, and cry when they get home if they didn't come first? :lol:

All or nothign matey, My second paragraph acknowledges such people. If they were honest about it, they would admit win at all costs, but that type of person is usually the one who would most definately state it's all about fun :)

I did this for my old live roleplay group. Those who most strongly stated it was about fun, were the ones whom were regarded by people as the bigest powergaming cheaters the system had ever known!

now then, Tennis, I play to win, shame i've turned naff at it

Purely for fun, I don't mind losing if I have an enjoyable game. Just as well :)

It would be a different matter if I was playing in a tournament, but I don't.

I play for the enjoyment of playing. Do I enjoy winning? Yes, but its VERY second place to having a good time. I've walked away from games because of 'power-gamers' and 'rules lawyers' because they were ruining the fun of the game. I'd much rather have a fun time and lose than be a poor sport at winning. Mind you, I will question and make comment on the rules, but I wont let it get in the way of my fun.

Besides, when it comes down to it, (at least with ACtA) what does winning get you? Bragging rights? Sorry, I'm grown up enough to know just how much bragging rights for a victory in a table top miniatures wargame is worth. :p

It is also very un-fun and therefore not enjoyable when you lose so horrendously without having a chance. For example Shadows vs Drazi. No matter how little you care about winning or losing, not having a chance is no fun. Your not having fun usually translates into the other player not having fun either, despite the fact they are winning. That is the worst type of game IMO, when I am either one of those players. Winning by "paper-rock-scissors" is just as bad as losing by it.

Burger said:
It is also very un-fun and therefore not enjoyable when you lose so horrendously without having a chance. For example Shadows vs Drazi. No matter how little you care about winning or losing, not having a chance is no fun. Your not having fun usually translates into the other player not having fun either, despite the fact they are winning. That is the worst type of game IMO, when I am either one of those players. Winning by "paper-rock-scissors" is just as bad as losing by it.

Thats very understandable. I try and use those experiances and use them as a 'what is wrong here' examples rather than real games. I look at what is happening, how it is happening and what could be done to fix it. I guess I treat those highly unblanaced situations more like play testing than like an actual game. I'll discuss the problems with my opponent and turn the game around so that we can analyze what is wrong. I enjoy this type of problem solving, so it turn it makes losing fun :p

For me, winning is fun, but it is also fun to loose in a good game, if a little frustrating. I recently played my friend who loves the Vree and has been playing for years. As a noob I used a Liati with Maximus support (3pt Raid). I knew my few ships only stood a good chance in theory, and I was right. He simply had too many fighters. I lost but had fun bloodying his nose pretty good in the process:)

Da Boss said:
Interestingly, arguably the most competitive member of Gregs Crew usually gets the most accolades for being fun to play with............

That wouldn't happen to be me would it young mr.Lister? :shock:

I DO like to win :twisted: , and I DON'T like to lose... especially in tournament play :x ! However, as Da Boss has also mentioned, my main aim is to have a good fun game, for both myself and my opponent... True, I may rant and rave about how much the dice gods have abandoned me, but I am also - usually - pretty embarassed/apologetic if the dice are being too favourable.
My first game against Democratus in the tourney would be a good example of the latter... yes, it was a small mistake on his part to fly his ships up to mine when i've got the first shot, but my rolling was definitely above average. What followed can only be described as "gushing apologies" for how well I had done :oops:
So far, i've only ever met one player that would fall into the category of "Win at all costs" - and I think some people will know whom i'm talking about - but the vast majority of players that we meet in tourneys, are good natured, fun-loving guys.

Of course, I still maintain that, if I do lose a game... I WOZ ROBBED! :p

KennyBoy said:
but I am also - usually - pretty embarassed/apologetic if the dice are being too favourable.

I actually get very excitable over long rolls of good dice. but, I will do it for you or for me. I've watched my ships get gutted by run away beams and declared 'that was awesome!' And, I feel for bad luck rolls on either side as well. Those are the moments that you take away from the game, win or lose.

Like when a Marathon is ripped to shreds and goes crittical, inflicting more damage to the attacking ships surrounding it than the amount of damage that was done to it.

I found this quote on board game geek.

When playing a game the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning.

This pretty much sums up my gaming outlook. Some of my favourate games have actually been my most spectacular losses.

That's pretty much my approach as well. I'll play to win by playing my fleet to the best of my ability, but without gratuitous cheese or rules lawyering, and I hope my opponents do the same because it's no fun winning if the other player lets you win! And I don't get upset if I lose - I try to figure out what I did wrong, how I could have played better, and try to do better next time...

Fleet choice will be made for any of several reasons. It may contain a newly painted ship. It may be a fleet I haven't used for a while. If I know what the opponent is using, it may be chosen to give both sides a chance. Or I may simply roll a die. :)

Suggestion for tournaments: allow players to declare two fleets for each game at the start of the tournament. Players decide between themselves at the start of the game which fleets to use; if they can't decide quickly, roll dice! This should reduce the chances of the result being dictated by an unbalanced pairing of fleets.

All this talk makes me want to play.

Anyone in Alaska? The moose already told me they have other things to do besides play miniature games.

quick well done to the 2 people who were honest enough and said they play to win, would be interesting to see who voted for those, cos i can think of more than 2 I would expect to be in that bracket. . .

Back