PC Scholars

A

Anonymous

Has anyone experienced a PC scholar and how did he fare?

I have a PC considering one but looking at initial spells it really doesn't seem like they can do much until higher levels. A curse giving a -1 really doesn't seem to do a whole lot with the naturally higher stats and bonuses PCs generate. Also the only direct damage spell expends all their Power Points and is labeled as a last resort attack.

For a Roleplaying view the scholar looks fantastic, but as far as combat it looks like he'll be watching everyone and not adding too much.

No PC Scholars yet in my game. I made up several as NPCs, but never got to use them in combat, except a Darfari witchdoctor (Scholar 1) with Lesser Ill Fortune. Her curses actually did affect the battle, extending her side's ability to stay in the fight by causing several attacks to miss. She cursed four PCs/alied NPCs to good effect. However, I agree with you that Scholars don't seem like they can do very much until the mid-levels, and only then after conducting mass sacrifices! :twisted:

Look at Hypnotism... some amazing things there.

You get an Instant Kill with mesmerism two levels before you can do the same with Necromancy (8th and 10th respectfully). Domination comes pretty fast too... "Look into my eyes... you are sleepy...sleepy... stand perfectly still..." then you cut his throat while he dozes on his feet for an extra shot of power points.

1st to 3rd level, a Scholar is going to have a tough time of it... I'd recomend giving him some alchemical goodies to see him though the early dry spells... or give him some kind of magical artifact to make him more robust in combat... such as a staff of power which allows him to project defensive blasts at range and control the PP's expended.

Demonic Pact is a pretty good chunk of initial power...especially with one of the lesser demons which is easier to deal with (the demon horses for example). Though being a demon's bitch sucks.

It's my hope that the Scrolls of Skellos will have more low and mid level spells, artafacts, and goodies for Scholars.

Given the chance, I'd play a scholar myself though.

-B

Yeah, I made 1 test Scholar to see what's up, and saw that there was NO way they should get anywhere near melee combat, or had any real spell effectiveness. I think I selected the Entrance path so he could try to cast that, but offhand, it looked hard to be effective (comparing MAB vs Will save). I gave him PBS and Rapid shot, and figured he could at least be a decent archer with a Hunting Bow though (which is a simple weapon). Plus they get little starting $, so it's not like they are starting with any blinding tomb dust or anything. Oh well, nobody said the life of a scholar was going to be easy ;)

They do get MAD skills though.

The best way to win a fight as a Scholar is never to get into one.

Use Intimidate or Bluff to convince your enemies that you are terrible and badass, and should be feared ("I am a Wizard, min you! This place is kept by powerful Gods, and spirits of kings! Come my friend, and you shall deal with the dead").

Surrender, and when they surround you, hit them with a Defensive Blast (even a starting scholar should be able to lay out 5 to 8 dice of whammy... enough to Massive Damage a couple of bastards anyway). Then use Intimidate on the rest- "Shall I slay you as I did you friends, or perhaps use something even more painful?"

-B

Scholars are not combat classes and shouldn't be given special tools to make them more powerful. When a fight presents itself, they should stay in a safe place and use their skills where they can -- and run if need be!

One of the chief benefits of being a scholar is their improved skills -- do you plan on giving other classes things that will help them out in non-combat situations?!

Don't degrade the differences between classes by removing them -- let your scholars' frustration in combat rankle -- make sure they have to use fate points all the time to stay alive -- make them jealous of the men at arms so that when they come into power, they take all the more glee and delight in their domination over them!

And if they don't live that long, laugh in their faces and let them stew over their failings -- "Next time," they'll say, "Next time, I'll pledge my soul to Set and watch my enemies fly before my demonic wrath!"

Please don't turn your Conan games into D&D!

Bailywolf said:
They do get MAD skills though.

The best way to win a fight as a Scholar is never to get into one.

Use Intimidate or Bluff to convince your enemies that you are terrible and badass, and should be feared ("I am a Wizard, min you! This place is kept by powerful Gods, and spirits of kings! Come my friend, and you shall deal with the dead").

Surrender, and when they surround you, hit them with a Defensive Blast (even a starting scholar should be able to lay out 5 to 8 dice of whammy... enough to Massive Damage a couple of bastards anyway). Then use Intimidate on the rest- "Shall I slay you as I did you friends, or perhaps use something even more painful?"

That is a very scholarly way of thinking! I love it. Use those skills - and that Defensive Blast! That is how scholars seem to be working in my campaigns as well.

I have noticed that in my games, skills are playing a far more vital role in Conan than they did in DnD, where magic solved many common dilemmas. I love that aspect of the Conan RPG.

VincentDarlage said:
I have noticed that in my games, skills are playing a far more vital role in Conan than they did in DnD, where magic solved many common dilemmas. I love that aspect of the Conan RPG.

Amen to that, brother! :wink:

Bailywolf said:

Definitely something I'll make note of since I'm planning to play a scholar type in a online RPG.

Looking forward to the Scrolls of Skelos, anyone have any inkling of what new stuff is being offered? When is its release date?

Lando

Lando The Archmagi said:
Looking forward to the Scrolls of Skelos, anyone have any inkling of what new stuff is being offered? When is its release date?

Lando

My FLGS says the end of the month.

Nitpick: I believe the line is "Harm my flesh and you shall have to deal with the dead!" It certainly seems to make more sense that way.

InsomNY said:
Nitpick: I believe the line is "Harm my flesh and you shall have to deal with the dead!" It certainly seems to make more sense that way.

Yeah, I sort of mushed two of that guy's quotes together.

But anyhow...

A Scholar can still do some cool stuff with Alchemy even if he doesn't have the mojo (or the funds) to cook up Kothic Demonfire.

A fine-ground mix of potash, salt, and lye (made from burning oyster shells) is excelent blinding powder... and much more economical than Stygian Tomb Dust.

A flask of spirts of wine or high grade oil with a wick stuck in it makes a great fire bomb (especialy if throw against that bastard in plate armor). Keep a Japanese-style coal box to light it.

Smoke bombs are as simple as mixing salt peter (from the underside of dung piles) and sugar- cook it down and dope with your fave stink-producing chemicals (sulphur is fun). Light them (from the same coal box as the fire bomb) and toss... set them off just outside a door, and then stide through the wall of smoke incanting Forbidden and Horrific Blasphomies (an Intimidate check made with a nice circumstance bonus), and you'll have even hardened warriors pooping themselves.

Lots of Alchemy on a Budget options.

-B

Back