Paranoia Canon

Parody said:
FWIW: In previous versions, Alpha Complex was built out of San Francisco. I don't believe XP has placed it anywhere.
Which one? The GM's section mentions something about a complete collaspe of the American computer network, resulting in the "creation" of dozens of Alpha Complexs that are all at war with those other Commie imitators.

Which one? The GM's section mentions something about a complete collaspe of the American computer network, resulting in the "creation" of dozens of Alpha Complexs that are all at war with those other Commie imitators.

There is only one Alpha Complex, any information you have traitorously aquired otherwise, should immediatly be turned over the Computer!

I SECOND THAT!

Thanks! Friend Computer!

Or have our alpha complex located within and below another even bigger Alpha Complex where the Computer is using the smaller Alpha Complex as a "simulation" to help test new blah blah blah...

Anyways, call it something similar to a question like "What if we're just creations on a Star Trek Holodeck?" Or how about "What if we're just creations on a Star Trek Holodeck, created on a Star Trek Holodeck?"

Phew...confusion akimbo!

dunderm said:

There is only one Alpha Complex, any information you have traitorously aquired otherwise, should immediatly be turned over the Computer!

I SECOND THAT!

Thanks! Friend Computer!
Maybee you alright, maybee we exterminate you a litteee bit.

xombie said:
Or have our alpha complex located within and below another even bigger Alpha Complex where the Computer is using the smaller Alpha Complex as a "simulation" to help test new blah blah blah...

Anyways, call it something similar to a question like "What if we're just creations on a Star Trek Holodeck?" Or how about "What if we're just creations on a Star Trek Holodeck, created on a Star Trek Holodeck?"

Phew...confusion akimbo!

Sounds like you've written a couple Star Trek episodes.

Clangador said:
xombie said:

Phew...confusion akimbo!

Sounds like you've written a couple Star Trek episodes.
You know it's actually quite funny but I was never a big Star Trek fan, however living in Japan for 4 years whe I was younger, with one english language TV channel that played most memorably Star Trek Next Generation I've seen every episode of that particular show.

I guess the knowledge comes in handy sometimes. :)

Before this, I thought I was just a clone. Now I find out I just might be a holoprojection!

I just pinched myself, I'm
real! (or maybe I just ran an algorithm that made me "think" I pinched myself. Do I really even "think?").

dunderm said:
Before this, I thought I was just a clone. Now I find out I just might be a holoprojection!

real! (or maybe I just ran an algorithm that made me "think" I pinched myself. Do I really even "think?").

To be specific, you may be a holo-projection of a clone in a holoprojected Alpha Complex depicting a clone in the "real" larger Alpha Complex that may too be a holo-projection of a clone in a holo-projected Alpha Complex in an even bigger and more confusing Alpha Complex.

Does the vicious cycle continue, is the computer just a holo-program caught in a loop? (The computer is my friend!! The computer is not a confused holo-program!! The computer is unable to be confused!!) :wink:

Of course you could name each successive Alpha Complex something different to avoid confusion but that would be a terrible idea.

xombie said:
dunderm said:

To be specific, you may be a holo-projection of a clone in a holoprojected Alpha Complex depicting a clone in the "real" larger Alpha Complex that may too be a holo-projection of a clone in a holo-projected Alpha Complex in an even bigger and more confusing Alpha Complex.

Does the vicious cycle continue, is the computer just a holo-program caught in a loop? (The computer is my friend!! The computer is not a confused holo-program!! The computer is unable to be confused!!) :wink:

Of course you could name each successive Alpha Complex something different to avoid confusion but that would be a terrible idea.

Gaaahhhh!!!!!

You're a brain in a vat...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-in-a-vat

Or are you?

Clangador said:
dunderm said:
It's a vicious circle that only a Tacnuke can figure out.

From a cone gun?

I prefer the mini-TacNuke fired from a weapon with a maximum range that doesn't exceed the blast radius. Makes for fun when you toss a few rounds of that in with a box of random ammo.

In fact, I just love boxes of random ammo.

Oh and for another grand Alpha Complex idea, isn't it quite obvious that the "high programmers" are just gamers like us, everything coming down to the toss of a die. The computer is the GM, and well... *Sounds of a door being kicked in!* Hey what the hell!! *Laser blast!* Ooowww!! That hurts you know jeeez at least spend some perversity if you're gonna silence my treasoness thoughts!!

xombie said:
Clangador said:
dunderm said:
It's a vicious circle that only a Tacnuke can figure out.

From a cone gun?

I prefer the mini-TacNuke fired from a weapon with a maximum range that doesn't exceed the blast radius. Makes for fun when you toss a few rounds of that in with a box of random ammo.

In fact, I just love boxes of random ammo.

Oh and for another grand Alpha Complex idea, isn't it quite obvious that the "high programmers" are just gamers like us, everything coming down to the toss of a die. The computer is the GM, and well... *Sounds of a door being kicked in!* Hey what the hell!! *Laser blast!* Ooowww!! That hurts you know jeeez at least spend some perversity if you're gonna silence my treasoness thoughts!!

Good to know or not know, depending if you're the GM or player.

lastbesthope said:
I was watching Logan's Runlast nihgt, and I couldn't help but think "This'd be so cool as a Paranoia setting!"

:twisted:

LBH

Yes it would. The books are even better.

Back to the main thread. The best reaction I ever got from my players, this was back when I had a nice size group (seems like ages ago), was when they thought they were to go outside into the Green world and ewe and awe at all the plants and animals. You had to be there! They open up the doors, they all step around the corner, and there it is!

San Francisco! Car horns honking, sirens sounding in the distance, and speaking of distance. There, far off in the haze, is the Golden Gate Bridge!

Really, you had to be there. I won't say how I ruined the experience. :D

dunderm said:
Back to the main thread. The best reaction I ever got from my players, this was back when I had a nice size group (seems like ages ago), was when they thought they were to go outside into the Green world and ewe and awe at all the plants and animals. You had to be there! They open up the doors, they all step around the corner, and there it is!

San Francisco! Car horns honking, sirens sounding in the distance, and speaking of distance. There, far off in the haze, is the Golden Gate Bridge!

Nice! :D

dunderm said:

Aw, come on. Tell us.

Back