Opinions on the Conan GM Screen

Azgulor

Banded Mongoose
Haven't found any review on the Conan GM screen. Any opinions? What are the good & bad points?

Azgulor

Azgulor said:
Haven't found any review on the Conan GM screen. Any opinions? What are the good & bad points?

Azgulor
My opinion about it is the following:
it's a great screen for the players and useful for the GM. The map is superb of course, though the paper is too thin to my taste and I have would have appreciated a more parchment-like paper.
In conclusion I find it somewhat expensive for what you get. There is no booklet of any kind associated with the screen (neither scenario or errata). Thus $15.00 is a bit high.
But sure, your players will enjoy the colourful panel with Quilliams' art.

Yes, I have to agree. I thought the price was a tad high. (Canadian dollars for me!) The map is great! I will most likely get it laminated to avoid the inevitable rips. The Quilliams art is great.

The screen is missing the one thing I think all screens need and that is a small section on it that tells you what page to look up info in the main book that is not covered on the screen. Other than that, pretty cool.

Is the map that comes with the GM screen merely an enlargement of the one from the basic rulebook inside cover, or does it show more detail?

$15 does seem kinda expensive, but I guess that's consistent with the pricing of all the other Conan books, which are about 50% more than I'd like to pay for them :-(

cyrus said:
Is the map that comes with the GM screen merely an enlargement of the one from the basic rulebook inside cover, or does it show more detail?

$15 does seem kinda expensive, but I guess that's consistent with the pricing of all the other Conan books, which are about 50% more than I'd like to pay for them :-(
The map that comes with the screen has more details. It is more like the one you see in the inside cover of the Road of Kings sourcebooks.

I thought about getting the screen - a friend of mine had it. I looked at it - and I agree with some others here that the only really cool thing about it was the map.

So I downloaded a Hyborean map from Mongoose's website, and had my fiance print it out on gloss cardstock, 11" x 17" -- - looks awesome. Gotta love a fiance' that works at a print shop, can draw, can paint, and paints wargaming miniatures.

I'm a lucky boy.

I'd rather a screen that offered more in the lines of play-aids than a map. Either a scenario or some additional rules, heck - throw in a 10 page black and white booklet on gladitorial combat or something. I'm sure there's a use for that somewhere and everyone loves gladiators! :wink:

Maps are well and good, but I use the game system with another campaign world, so $15 for a screen itself wasn't worth it to me.

The GM's Screen was, IIRC, released right after the first printing of Conan. Does it need any updating for use with the Atlantean Edition? Errata and so forth?

Ashigaru said:
The GM's Screen was, IIRC, released right after the first printing of Conan. Does it need any updating for use with the Atlantean Edition? Errata and so forth?
I can't answer there because I don't have the AE. However I don't think there is much change in the tables.
That being said I still would appreciate some kind of errata.

Back