Old Conan comic mags versus new comic series

Black and White mags or New Comics

• B/W magazine format of old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New comics from Dark Horse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just wondering what people think of the new comic versus the old black and white, magazine format comics.

Personally, I've been enjoying the new series a lot, but the old mags still hold a special place in my heart as they are what first got me interested in our favorite Cimmerian.

I'm probably in the minority of Conan fans in that I love the character, but have always thought that the vast bulk of Savage Sword and the regular comics were often mediocre.

I've never been a fan of the artwork of John Busceme or Ernie Chua (Chan), and since those artists dominated the comic and the magazine for so long, I didn't enjoy them from a visual standpoint, either.

Give me Barry Windsor-Smith's Conan, or, please, John and Marie Severin on King Kull, any day!

When I was a kid, I really liked Savage Sword as that was my only constant experience with Conan (aside from the movies and a few of the old color Marvel comics). In other words, I hadn't read Howard's stuff.

As an adult, I much prefer Howard and after looking back at those old Savage Sword mags, found them to be less outstanding then I remembered them being when I was young. Becuase I feel that Kurt and Cary are doing an excellent job keeping the Howard-feel in the new Comic series, I've gotta vote for that.

Reptile

I have not bought any of the new comics from DH, but I have read a few. However, in the near future I intend on purchasing some of them.

Being an old comic collector and having a very near complete collection of the Savage Sword of Conan B&W comics, I am bound to say I like the older ones better, just because of nostalgia (o.k., so I am old).

Old school collector who never liked B/W comics. Why don't they cost less? They don't have to pay a colorist! Give me the new DH! :D

I enjoyed the B&W issues a lot back in the day. Especially the adaptations of some of the later stories. Some of the best Conan adventures take place mid-life and I couldn't wait for the color comic to reach those stories.

I'm also enjoying the new Conan. My only complaint is with the issues taking place in Hyperboria. Maybe it is just me, but I didn't think the treatment of the Hyperborian's was in the feel of Conan. I've always pictured the Hyperborians as half civilized barbarians compared to their cousins to the south. Those issues left me cold. The current writing seems to be moving pretty good.

There was also a great "What If" Conan fought Thor. Conan basically thought Thor was just another warrior from Asgard.. :)

The comic ended with Thor dying while fighting beside the Cimmerian. Conan respected Thor so much he climbed a mountain and set his funeral pyre.

Conan was also able to life Thor's hammer... I remember loving that comic as a kid!

RabidAntiShemite said:
There was also a great "What If" Conan fought Thor. Conan basically thought Thor was just another warrior from Asgard.. :)

The comic ended with Thor dying while fighting beside the Cimmerian. Conan respected Thor so much he climbed a mountain and set his funeral pyre.

Conan was also able to life Thor's hammer... I remember loving that comic as a kid!

Never read that one. Sounds awesome!

Didn't vote as I think it's too early in it's life yet to make up my mind . I do think that Kurt and Cary's intrerpretation is up at the top with the best Thomas and Smith in CtB and the Thomas/Buscema/Alcala SSOC adaptations in the Marvel days . I think I'll decide finally how good in about 10 years :lol:

Terry

I had collected the first 7 DH comics, but was turned off with the Hyperborea business, really liked the art though. Have heard the latest issues are really good so will go back and see what's going on now.

I remember those giant b/w comics that AMRA I think came out with in the '70s, really enjoyed those, although it's hard to remember (childhood memories clouded, or is it just because I've been up 20 hours straight? :wink: )

Strom said:
Old school collector who never liked B/W comics. Why don't they cost less? They don't have to pay a colorist! Give me the new DH! :D

Yeah, the new comic is great- love the carnage. And the build up to meeting Thoth Amon is cool! The old Conan the Barbarian comic rarely used this excellent villian to his full potential. The King Conan comic had a great starting run of about 8 or so great comics in a row. Then it got mediocre fast. But King Conan owed some of its initial greatness by using the evil Thoth effectively. He has the potential to rank up there with the great comic villians like the Red Skull, Joker, Dr. Doom, and some others.

And Strom, love the quote: "Ack it burns!" Haw haw!

I can't stand the art in the new comics. I've only looked at the first 3 and was so turned off by them that I haven't even bothered to look at any recent ones. The old black and white Savage Sword were the best! My first one purchased was #149 - Conan was the only survivor from the loosing side in a massive battle and had been captured by the Aquilonian Legionaires. They had to travel through a swamp and fight off horde's of lizardmen.

The best line I've ever read in a comic was said by Conan in that issue - he was sitting resting after one of the inital battles with the lizardmen ( in which Conan of course kicked ass ) and one of the Legionaires told him to get off his lazy rump and get to work helping fortify the cabin. Conan remained sitting, gave the legionaire a look that said "Don't F#CK with me!" and grimly said "Slaying is my work." That was so awesome!

-Hollywood

Conan and Wolverine squared off and Conan killed Wolverine - or so he thought. Not knowing that Wolverine has a mutant healing factor, Conan walked away from a gutted Wolverine leaving him for dead. Later in the comic story, I believe in a village, a vengeful Wolverine is able to ambush an unsuspecting Cimmerian and is able to kill Conan - largely in part to Conan being stunned and shocked that Wolverine was not dead.

- Hollywood

Come On Steven! That's like asking me to choose my children! (of course I don't have kids, but you get my drift...) Seriously though, I'm giving my vote to the new series. yes Conan was defined for me by the old B&W series, but the way Cary draws him I think is a perfect blend between the energy and brusqueness of Buscema and the finesse and detail of BWS. Don't get me wrong - Buscema is my favourite comic artist EVER - with windsor smith following up not far behind... But especially with Busiek's writing, Nord just seems to have found the character... probably the truest incarnation of Conan in comics I've read.

'nuff said.

Hollywood Hogan said:
Conan and Wolverine squared off and Conan killed Wolverine - or so he thought. Not knowing that Wolverine has a mutant healing factor, Conan walked away from a gutted Wolverine leaving him for dead. Later in the comic story, I believe in a village, a vengeful Wolverine is able to ambush an unsuspecting Cimmerian and is able to kill Conan - largely in part to Conan being stunned and shocked that Wolverine was not dead.

- Hollywood

Killed Conan??? :shock: :evil: :evil:

I really like the wolverine character, but Conan's "super power" is that he doesn't die. 8)

I never read the old Marvle Conans, except for the new color collections DH is putting out, so I dont have the fond chikdhood memories that the rest you seem to.

To me DH Conan is one of the better comics out there, it is one of the few that I have ever tried to collect completly.

taylor, I hear ya. I couldn't believe it when I read it, many years ago. I took solace that during their initial conflict Conan bested him. Wolverine - using a page out of Hollywood Hogan's book on "Dirty Tricks and Ways to Cheat" - was only able to defeat Conan with the element of surprise. Who knows, perhaps Wolverine never actually killed Conan, instead Conan used a Fate Point and was just left for dead. That's how I'm going to remember it at any rate...

- Hollywood

Back