Official 2300AD Comments Thread

The Hull values for the Howey (book 2, p.10) and Wasp (book 2, p.10) seem a bit off. The Howey has 4 which seems very low by comparison - the compact car on p.5 has Hull of 10. The Wasp has Hull of 2.5 which is not even an integer. Think these should be 40 and 25?

Also on the Howey - what does Autopilot 'enhanced' mean? Typically these levels are described as Improved or Advanced. The autopilot skill is stated as being 2, which might correlate with 'Improved'? Not sure.

cunningrat said:
vili said:
Page 50:
"Novoyoa Kiyev" -> "Novoya Kiyev" (as on page 24). Or just pick one form and stick to it across the books. And I'm actually not sure what should be the correct way to spell this. Currently, in our world, the spelling of the original city's name is also something of a political issue as far as I understand. "Kyiv" I think is the spelling currently endorsed by the Ukrainian government. But what would be the Ukrainian word for "new"? Novyy? I don't know, I don't speak Ukrainian. And of course, the language has also changed by 2300.

Native Russian and Ukrainian speaker here. "Kyiv" is the Ukrainian spelling. "Kiev" is a Russification. That's why it's a really hot-button political issue right now, as Ukraine is trying to assert its independence. (I don't actually have "2300 AD", so I don't know if Ukraine is an independent country in that universe. That would affect what name you'd use for the city.)

The correct word for "New" in this case would be "Novyy" if you're using Russian, "Noviy" if you're using Ukrainian. (Edited: had to look up the transliteration rules. :) ) Using "Novaya" is a gender mismatch, which is a very basic building block of both languages. That wouldn't change by 2300.

Fixed.

How useful is the 1st edition sourcebook Tools for Frontier Living? Would it take much work to make it compatible with 2nd edition?

It would probably be compatible, but I’d probably holdout for the new edition - simply because of the uplift in presentation.

Are there any plans to re-edit this awful job?

I LOVE what Colin Dunn has done with 2300AD and all the other contributors over the years, and while I'm very encouraged by Mongoose's support of the game and Colin's work, I'm also dismayed at the typos, mis-aligns, and other graphic, editing, and typesetting errors in this edition.

Once a corrected effort is done, I'll be happy... no, honest-to-God THRILLED... to part with my money, but Mongoose Publishing is better than the PDF you put out.

MongooseMatt said:
Expect a PDF update this week, very possibly tomorrow.

THANKS, Matt.
And I mean that with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever. I very much appreciate Mongoose's efforts to improve and upgrade the product. It shows respect for your fans and our money, and I very much appreciate that. This is one of the differences illustrated between Paizo and WotC and I would like Mongoose join Paizo in that reputation for their commitment to a quality product.

Quick question, since Ship Shares are worth 500,000 towards the purchase of a ship instead of 1,000,000, does this mean characters would get a pension of 500 rather than 1000? Likewise a 12,500 pension instead of a 25,000 one for anyone who rolls a ship as a benefit?

I noticed there is a "Release Schedule" button on the website now. (Is that new or have I just never seen it before?) It says the physical 2300AD books are slated for March now.

OrdosMalleus said:
I noticed there is a "Release Schedule" button on the website now. (Is that new or have I just never seen it before?) It says the physical 2300AD books are slated for March now.

Been there for a while :)

At the moment, we are taking a stab in the dark on printed release dates, due to the effect of the pandemic on printing and shipping. Our predictions lean towards the pessimistic, so please check back for revisions!

MongooseMatt said:
OrdosMalleus said:

Been there for a while :)

At the moment, we are taking a stab in the dark on printed release dates, due to the effect of the pandemic on printing and shipping. Our predictions lean towards the pessimistic, so please check back for revisions!

Fair enough! :) My daughter's BF works with automotive repair and his suppliers have warned that the supply chain nonsense (at least in their industry) will probably get worse before it gets better.

Just a quick announcement - we have uploaded new PDF files to both our site and Drivethru. Simply redownload for the latest versions!

Is there a reason why the new update to the poster map is missing some systems in the American Arm (bottom right) and Pentapod Space (Upper left). That said, I only just noticed when comparing the two version that the extra systems in the older version lacked distance measurements on the stutterwarp links.

blaster219 said:
Is there a reason why the new update to the poster map is missing some systems in the American Arm (bottom right) and Pentapod Space (Upper left). That said, I only just noticed when comparing the two version that the extra systems in the older version lacked distance measurements on the stutterwarp links.

Those systems did not connect to others, based on the distance between them and other stars in the map. Older maps showing a connection were in error.

Reposting as doesn't seem to have been addressed in the latest update.

The Hull values for the Howey (book 3, p.11) and Wasp (book 3, p.11) seem a bit off. The Howey has 4 which seems very low by comparison - the compact car on p.6 has Hull of 10. The Wasp has Hull of 2.5 which is not even an integer. Think these should be 40 and 25?

Also on the Howey - what does Autopilot 'enhanced' mean? Typically these levels are described as Improved or Advanced. The autopilot skill is stated as being 2, which might correlate with 'Improved'? Not sure.

I'm quite impressed by the changes that you have made to the updated pdf versions. In addition to fixing a lot of bigger things, you have also taken some fairly minor comments and "this would be nice to have" type of ideas and incorporated them into the books. Thank you very much!

A couple of things popped up as I leafed through the new copies:

In book 2, the alien contact timeline on page 5 and the chronology of contact timeline on page 84 remain contradictory, even after the update. For instance, the first table says that contact with the Sung was first made in 2259, while the latter puts it to 2248. It doesn't help the confusion that the body text in the Sung description gives a third date: 2247.

In book 2, it looks like you have removed all "Compatibility" ratings for colonies. Was there something fundamentally broken with them? I quite liked the idea to be honest. Note also that on page 101 you still have the text that tells us how to use those compatibility numbers, even if those numbers no longer exist anywhere, as far as I can see.

A similar thing has happened in book 1 with the Wakizashi. The weapon has been removed from the stats and the pictures, but the short description still remains in the body of the text.

King's survival DM is now listed as 4 in the colonies list. Should probably be -4?

Finally, I suppose we just have to agree to disagree about many of the hyphenations and other punctuation. :) But I can certainly live with that.

Great work!

Book 1.
p.21 final paragraph, right-hand column, "...to reflect the tools and skills..." not "...to reflects the tools and skills..."

Book 3.
Autopilot is a skill level, not a DM. For some vehicles the Autopilot value is shown correctly as skill level whilst for tohers it is shown a modifier. For example:
p.10 WSP-50 Wasp. Autopilot 1
p.12 Gwa'winna L-20 Autopilot +1
Book 3 stats just need a once-over to remove the rogue "+" signs.

Back