Not Another White Star Thread (TM)

Hindsight

Mongoose
So where are we? Has there been a new revision? Have we had an update? Do we have some other version of the White Star to playtest?

The issue with something being strong in a game, is that if you try to re-balance it against others, you wind up nerfing it into uselessness, or encourage play styles that are less than ideal.

I haven't played ACTA in over a month now. There are several factors, but one of the big ones is the drama over this play test, and how little reply we're getting from Matt. As a newer player, who only has ISA so far (less some Narn allies), I'm just feeling mighty discouraged, and have taken up painting my Dark Elves again, instead of my ISA.

I read the forums, I just haven't felt like posting, the conversations have shifted, the Playtest seems to have fallen by the wayside, and I haven't seen some grand "here is why" thread pop up yet.

So whats the deal? I paid out a lot of money buying an ISA fleet. I built, primed, and painted about 5 raid worth of the 12 or so Battle I own. I just haven't wanted to touch the stuff in a while, and I'd really like for that not to be the case.

I think I blame the Centauri.

There has not been an update for a while. My suggestion, play the rules as they are. ACTA is a fun game and works very well as it is. Don't let the possible changes and new stuff get in the way of enjoying the game.

It should be pointed out that as long as you and your opponent(s) agree, there is no reason you HAVE to update to the newest version...

Consider, for Example D&D; while there is a new edition, most people are staying with the old one.

Hindsight does touch on one problem with rebalancing, the "obsolete fleet (army)" syndrome (a certain other company is particularly guilty of this) whereby a rebalancing makes half the models in a fleet far less useful, requiring additional expenditures on different models to create a new viable fleet. This is a valid concern in most cases, especially for fleets built of Whitestars (Hmm, how many models did ISA have with the last edition?)

Hindsight said:
I think I blame the Centauri.

Tsk, Tsk, just because you don't like our new Liaiti Advanced Cruiser. Well, the Great Centauri Republic can stand alone!!!

Genetalis Minimis
Centauri Fleet Command

Dont blame the centauri...what have the centauri ever done to you, we just want to be warm and fuzzy (and kick your ass)...sit down and have some hot jala

Okay dude, the white star is a really cool ship, its not over powered, its just really cool and eveyone else is just jealous they dont have a really cool but at the same time balanced ship and they complain. Dont listen to them, keep playing ACTA as it is, its way better than warhammer as it doesnt consume your soul, and having a painted fleet is way too cool not to play with, especially with your painting ability.

but i still say it should be super Manouverable (please dont hurt me)

Long live the Republic
Death to the false emperor

cheers

mario

edit: our group plays with all the suggested playtest changes and are enjoying them (stupid track that target gnargh)

I agree with Greg - unless you're actually playtesting the thing, just stick with the lists as written in the main rule and fleet list books.

As for what the White Star will be in the next revision of the P&P rules, Steve, Greg and I have all pushed for the "knife fight" version of the White Star to be playtested (i.e. no new special rule for the White Star and WS2 but reduce the range of the main beam instead).

Triggy said:
I agree with Greg - unless you're actually playtesting the thing, just stick with the lists as written in the main rule and fleet list books.
Or in other words, if you use the P&P rules then you're playtesting. It might be nice if you post the results, but nobody is going to come round with a baseball bat to make sure you do. :)

David Anla Shok said;
Unless you are going to make it nastier, just leave my White Star alone!

I could try sculpting on some fangs so it has a toothy grin just like the Whitestar Gunship? :D

Taran said:
I could really go for a rear arc beam...
Maybe an interceptor or 3...

What do you think, David?
Surely all the weapons should be turret arc to show how manouverable a WS is. And the Neutron Laser should be boosted to 6 AD, the same as the Victory class's forward arc ;)

And the last White Star alive ought to automatically pass any dodge rolls once it is crippled to prevent it from dying, just as the final White Star never dies in the show.

All most excellent ideas my friends, though I am disappointed that no one mentioned giving it a Death Blossom. But, good ideas nonetheless, keep up the good work ;)

Burger said:
Give it anti-fighter trait, too... for killing those pesky Drakhs?

That actually make a lot of sense. They kill many fighters in the show. Many of them are Shadow's and Vorlon's :wink:

Just enjoy the game as is hindsight. I'd guess that the knife fight has been put into the to do later list by Matt. You might see some more talk of it after P&P has been released and Matt starts thinking about the next supplement. The current whitestar is fine and I'm sure you will enjoy battles with it until then. If its more that you're still pissed that he hasn't gotten back to you to tell you exactly why he doesn't like it I wouldn't take it personally. I doubt he has time to answer every piece of fanmail or every game suggestion he gets or is posted on these forums. I don't know of any game designer that does (how often does the designer of Warhammer use your suggestions). For now I would assume he's not going to use your suggestion, just forget about it and enjoy the game. You don't have to design part of a game to play it, its not A Call To Wiki. Hell I have never designed a single ship for the game, and I love playing it.

Back