non-Howard conan novels

A

Anonymous

Hi, I'm looking for some good Conan novels..NOT written by Robert E Howard (I've got most of the REH stories). Can anyone recommend some good ones?

Robert Jordan, before he wrote his Wheel of Time Series, wrote six Conan stories that are really good. They are:
Conan the Invincible
Conan the Defender
Conan the Unconquered
Conan the Triumphant
Conan the Magnificent
Conan the Victorious
Tor Books collected all of these stories in "The Conan Chronicles" and "The Further Chronicles of Conan" hardcovers that you can pick up pretty cheap on ebay.

Anonymous said:
Hi, I'm looking for some good Conan novels..NOT written by Robert E Howard (I've got most of the REH stories). Can anyone recommend some good ones?

The Road of Kings by Karl Edward Wagner is generally considered to be the best pastiche.

Conan and the Emerald Lotus by John Hocking is my favorite of the later pastiches, though my opinion of them (including those of Jordan) is quite low.

They are tough to get a hold of, but the old Ace Conan books are pretty good. They combine Howard's work with L. Sprague De Camp and Lynn Carter. For the longest time, it wast the only way to read Howard's stories - albeit with editorial changes by De Camp.

Personally, I can't stand Robert Jordan. He doesn't really capture the feel of Conan for me. I'm also biased as I don't like the Wheel of Time stories either.

I'd be with you Arcadyn. His Conan work is alright, but you can definitely tell that by the time Jordan came around to writing the character, Conan definitely became a trademark (i.e. don't do this, don't do that, follow this convention, etc.). I do have to say that I think Jordan's Conan was a bit more 'forced' than Howard's (i.e. trying to show how powerful Conan was vs. seeing it come through naturally in the writing/actions of Conan), and that his slavery and debauchery were likewise 'forced'. Although Howard's was implied because it was written for pulp, it seemed to me a subject that Jordan did not prefer, rather than writing Hyboria as it was.

And let's not talk about his other works. Remember, trilogies are successful for a reason: they end. :wink:

-Ken

A good addition is,
Conan the Swordsman. A nice collection of short stories based on ideas that Howard made reference to in a letter to a fan. Written by deCamp, Carter and Nyborg.

Pastiche short stories? This sounds interesting, especially as I have little time to read large amounts at the moment. What're they called?

Cannot recall the story titles off the top of my head. :cry:
here's a link to amazon.com. should give you a good idea of the material inside.

NUTS!! Tried to post the link twice and it does not want to take. :evil:
Just do a search for, Conan the Swordsman, at amazon.com. That will give you some information about the book.

Anonymous said:

If you know to read Portuguese, there are some Conan's tales I and other fans wrote in http://cronicasdacimeria.blogspot.com/

Back