non-Glorantha MRQ

Utgardloki said:
Just WHY did Superman think it was a good idea to wear such a bizarre costume to fight crime?

Well the orginal reason was that his mommy (Martha Kent) made it for him. C;lark just cound't say no to mom. Not the first time a mother has put her son in s funny looking suit. Besides, at least it is invulnerable, so we don't have to wroory about any "indecnet exposure" problems.

Granted, when I ran a superhero game, and gave a player a superhero with powers like Superman's (except lower scale, and the character had black skin), the player wanted to change the costume I designed to a pinstripe suit. Now can you imagine a guy, flying through the air in a pin stripe suit, throwing trucks around and bashing through stone walls?

Well, maybe he missed the issue of GQ devoted to attire for the superhero set. C'mon, what is the right attire for throwing trucks and bashing through stone walls? Not that it matters, as it's not like anyone is paying any attention to you threads when bullets are boucing off your chest and you're turing lampost into a pretzel.

I have some ideas for having superheroes in bizarre costumes being accepted. My favorite one, which might work for a RQ world, is that instead of painting shields, knights painted their armor to keep track of who was whom. When armor because obsolete, the patterns were switched over to their clothes, which were registered in heraldry documents. Part of the quest would be to gain enough prestige to earn your own official costume.

Now there is an idea in that thought. You could have the germ of a new RPG in there. Some sort ofSuperpowered Round Table Knights. Could even work with body armor and powered armor coming into use in th 21st century. Defiantely could be a neat RPG setting if you could pull it off (as you already know, it has big risk of coming off as totally absurd. It is a interesting tightwrope walk).

andakitty said:
Except I'm not serious about it. I just prefer and enjoy a different kind of silly...which I admit can be pretty bad. No moral high ground intended. It's similar to unexplained phenomena, you know? Some people laugh at the idea of ghosts, but watch out if you make skeptical sounds about UFOs. And vice versa, of course. Me? I'm all for silly emancipation. :p

No problem there. I just know a few people who scoff at super rpgs and then gof off any player "super" D&D.

Personaly, I kinda like superhero RPGing now and again. You get to do things there that you don't get to do in other RPGs, so it can be a lot of fun. It is also nice to have a character that can do things that your other, RPG characters can only dream of. Then there are all those heric type situations, like pulling people out of burning buildings and all that.

Most of the RPgs I prefer a fairly dangerous, though, so the super stuff has a nice constrast, and can be fun for being less stressful.

I also have a group pull a fast one one me and set up some characters consiting of a fantasy style knight and wizard. Worked out fairly well, and gave the players a chance to do so of the high powered stuff they never were able to do in the other RPGs.

Well, maybe he missed the issue of GQ devoted to attire for the superhero set. C'mon, what is the right attire for throwing trucks and bashing through stone walls? Not that it matters, as it's not like anyone is paying any attention to you threads when bullets are boucing off your chest and you're turing lampost into a pretzel.

Yeah, I guess he botched is Fashion Sense roll.

Now there is an idea in that thought. You could have the germ of a new RPG in there. Some sort ofSuperpowered Round Table Knights. Could even work with body armor and powered armor coming into use in th 21st century. Defiantely could be a neat RPG setting if you could pull it off (as you already know, it has big risk of coming off as totally absurd. It is a interesting tightwrope walk).

I think I will work such a world (with painted armor) into my "Beyond Glorantha" universe.

Greetings

Moving away from interesting alternative worlds and cultures, I am hoping that MRQ will be able to provide an elegant game which I can use for occasional linked sessions with my old roleplaying friends where we often can only get together (and usually not everyone) once a month for a few hours.

If it is simple to play - as RQ2 was more or less - and rewards doing unusual things then MRQ might work for this, as well as a return to Third Age RQ2/3 materials.

Regards

Back