Non-Glorantha Adventures

Please pass on the idea of placing a half naked tart on the cover as an attempt to sell a module/setting. I don't believe that will help sell any additional copies and is more likely to raise questions about the quality of the content. Cover art should relate to the theme of the work. I certainly recall the covers to certain modules I have enjoyed. Always, though, it is the quality of what's inside that drives the product. Perhaps one of my favorites was Elmore's original cover for Shadowrun. The picture conveyed the uniqueness of the world the game presented. It presented races, technology and magic in a single picture (with a fun demonstration of sympathetic magic to create a twister, if memory serves). The Trollpak depiction of the very different trolls was a tease, to see just how different these trolls were...and they were very different and very well thought out and portrayed.
A good artist will devellop the theme, and perhaps include an attractive woman. (The Shadowrun cover I mentioned had a lovely Amerind spell caster unless my memory is failing!) But, the focus should not be blatantly sexual.

Here are a couple of mock-up covers of the adventures we're going to publish soon:

rqimmer.jpg

rqqether.jpg

Hyrum.

Looks nice!

I did find it amusing that the guy climbing the tree has no depth perception but looks to be an archer. I suppose that might go a ways towards why he doesn't seem to be doing so well there. :)

SteveMND said:
I did find it amusing that the guy climbing the tree has no depth perception but looks to be an archer. I suppose that might go a ways towards why he doesn't seem to be doing so well there. :)

Depth perception does not only depend on binocular cues, see wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception. Additionally using two or one eye over long distances makes no partical difference, two eyes being more of a hindrance than asset when aiming.

Back to topic: looking good. In fact the covers are IMHO better than the mongoose ones.

Mikko Leho said:
SteveMND said:

Depth perception does not only depend on binocular cues, see wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception. Additionally using two or one eye over long distances makes no partical difference, two eyes being more of a hindrance than asset when aiming.

Back to topic: looking good. In fact the covers are IMHO better than the mongoose ones.
Most folks would usually shut one eye (the opposite to their handedness, I find) when doing precise straight-line aiming. For a parabolic shot (thrown weapons) you would likely need very good depth perception.

Depth perception does not only depend on binocular cues

Yes, I'm aware of that (I used to be an archer in the SCA before I myself went blind in one eye). I just thought it amusing, that's all. :)

HyrumOWC said:
OWC is going to take part in the Open aspect of MRQ and we're looking at producing adventures and most likely a campaign setting later on down the road.

Care to share your opinions? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

Hyrum.

Thanks for asking.

I definitely would be playing non-glorantha settings for the most part, but might also do some glorantha. I'd like to see the following, in no perticular order:
1. Generic settings that can be esily adapted.
2. Sub-plots or side adventures included with the main adventure. For instance, if the main adventure has something to do with a castle and it's inhabitants, let's have some other things in the vicinity that could optionally be incorporated that may not have anything to do with the main plot. Also, I like occasionally to get some complex, woven plot structures (but not always).
3. (important) Really good suggestions for character hooks. I want the characters to feel a real stake in what's going on. I find characters are really tired and blase about being hired by some lord who's land they just happened to be walking through to chase bandits. Much better to have the bandits attack the characters and make off with their stuff, then let the characters broker a deal with the lord to re-provision them so they can get their stuff back.
4. Low 'level' adventures.
5. A compelling mystery (one that jaded players will want to solve)
6. Stuff inspired by the Arabian Nights, Greek Myths, etc. and not just medieval romance. Settings should be fun and exotic.

Not a comprehensive list, maybe, but it's a start. If I think of more, I'll post them.

Cobra

HyrumOWC said:
Here are a couple of mock-up covers of the adventures we're going to publish soon:

Hyrum.

I quite like the Qether cover. I prefer my fantasy art to look like art (focus on interpretation) as opposed to illustration (focus on realism).

But I must say that one thing I do not like is this trend to make RPG publications look like some sort of dragonskin tome with gems encrusting the corners. I think that fad has had its fair share of exposure and its time to move on. They remind me of nothing more than bad movie props from the likes of the original Dungeons and Dragons movie. Instead, fill the page with the art and put a nice title on it that's easy to read. That's my HO anyway.

Cobra

I think these covers look great too. Very professional, and the 'faux dragon skin with jewels' thing doesn't grate on me.

A quibble with the first one though: get the designer to sort out the kerning on the title of the book.

Is it DANGER IN THE CITY OFIMMER, or DANGER IN THE CITY OF IMMER?

- Q

Hyrum,

I note you originally had Diomin lined up as 'a dark fantasy D20 setting'.

What made you switch to MRQ?

- Q

this is a very interesting question. :D

I think with the change of the system from d20 to MRQ there is also a change to the way the world is perceived.

Quire said:
Hyrum,

I note you originally had Diomin lined up as 'a dark fantasy D20 setting'.

What made you switch to MRQ?

- Q

Thanks for the question. :)

Diomin was originally a world I designed for used with GURPS (the system my group used at the time), then ported over to RQ III (the system my group knew best), and finally with the release of d20, we (OWC) converted it and published it. While I'm glad we did (it's what got me into the industry) I've always felt constrained by the system and felt that I had to make changes I didn't really want to make. This only intensified as it became clear that most fans of d20 want very D&D-like worlds, which Diomin isn't.

So we shelved it, and while I've been making changes here and there (primarily so we could release some Diomin info via PDF), I really didn't think we'd do anything else with it until we released CHILL 3rd edition and I could concentrate on adapting Diomin to that percentile system.

Now, flash back a couple of months and my good friends at Mongoose post to an industry list that they plan on releasing MRQ through the Open License and I had to jump on it. Once I got the Developer's Kit I was hooked and now I can't stop working on Diomin stuff. :)

Frankly, Diomin is heavily influenced by Glorantha and Greg's focus on myth. And while it can be played with D20, it's always felt like the odd-man out. Even the Shaman class was our attempt at adding RQ Spirit Magic to D&D and it's really only a marginal success.

When you get right down to it, Diomin is too different for most d20 fans, and it's too D&D for people who don't play d20. (Additionally, the Diomin corebook is a mess. It was our first product ever and it shows. My goal is to rewrite it and release it for MRQ sometime next year, once we get CHILL finished.)

Hyrum.

Enpeze said:
this is a very interesting question. :D

I think with the change of the system from d20 to MRQ there is also a change to the way the world is perceived.

There will be a big change. Things will become a little more murky (no alignments, no clear-cut "good guys"), while at the same time religion will become more prominent (people don't have to have levels of Cleric to gain spells).

My ultimate goal is to finally get the "feel" right again. Something I just couldn't do with d20. (Now don't get me wrong, I like d20, and still play it, but it just isn't a fit for Diomin.)

Hyrum.

Back