No Zero-G skill

Sunscale

Mongoose
Hi Travellers,

I've noticed that there is no Zero-G skill in the new edition of the rules. I've not read further than the skills section or I may have missed it - in what way is a zero-G environment handled in these rules?. Is Zero-G now incorporated in to the Vacc suit skill, or handled with Athletics (dexterity) skill. If one does not have vac suit or athletics how do they operate in Zero-G?.

Thanks,

Jason

Page 62 said:
Athletics is also the principal skill used in adverse gravitational environments, specifically Athletics (dexterity) in low or zero-G, and Athletics (strength) in high-G locations.

It's incorporated into Athletics.

However, I have to say I've ran a scenario before in which the major drama flowed on from the incompetence of characters who only realised they lacked a Zero-G skill when they had already left the ship to attach a bomb to the outside of another craft.....

Many thanks guys,

The skill used to operate in zero-g environments is now clear - but what are the effects if the Traveller is incapable of operating in a zero-g environment.

In the previous edition we had anyone without zero-g skill suffering a -2 DM to all skill tasks.

In this edition, if the Traveller had no athletics skill (and therefore incapable of operating in zero-g) and attempts a task in zero-g (or in fact a task in any gravity environment they are not accustomed to) they would receive a 'bane' for that task?.

Cheers,

Jason

If a character has no skill in a task he is attempting, he will suffer a -3 DM penalty to the roll (p56).

However, it does raise a question of whether this could be done with a bane added to the roll instead?

For me, this is one reason why having a probability calculation made for the impact of boon/bane rolls would be a useful piece of information.

If a Traveller finds himself in zero-g, and has no athletic skills...

So many choices here. There is a "sound barrier" a fresh referee needs to break through to see them though. Part of the fun is the players discovering them. I'd rather not see a list in the book as to what should be done for zero-g situations. See "check for traps" in D&D.

If there was a percentage chart in MgT 1st edition, I never looked at it.

Back