News from the Blog

DM

Mongoose
VAS news in the latest blog in case anyone missed it:

* A writer has been assigned for Victory at Sea: Modern Age (working title), though that won't appear until much later this year. However, Victory at Sea: Age of Dreadnoughts is due to go to layout next month, so keep your eyes peeled. As soon as the current mad rush has passed, I'll be settling down to either VaS: Napoleonic Wars or VaS: Pirates, not sure which yet. Did occur to me that they could be combined, but I am not sure that would 'feel' right.

In case anyone wasn't aware its me working on AoD. The rules are coming together nicely, with the playtesters doing a darned good job of finding bits that I thought I'd explained well - but obviously not well enough :)

Oh, and a note for Matt - I agree about the "feel"; keep the Napoleonics and Pirate genres separate (and aim the former at the Peter Pig 1/450 models or those horrid flat things :)D) and the latter at the rather nice 1/1200 models from Langton et al.

VaS Napoleonics and Vas Pirates should be seperate, I mean come on.. the golden age of piracy, even the time when the most popular pirates are out are quite different from the Napoleonic era... ships, technology, everything. Bit of a buff on Pirates and Napoleonics so who do I throw dancing girls at to help out on those two :D

Modern Age worries me. Modern naval warfare is not about guns and torpedoes, but beyond line of sight missiles and aircraft.

Will this be any fun?

Modern age really excites me. I can't wait.

WWII is about over the horizon guns and we enjoy that on a 4x6.

Modern age will be just as fun.

Modern Age worries me. Modern naval warfare is not about guns and torpedoes, but beyond line of sight missiles and aircraft.

Will this be any fun?

Its possible. I've authored "Bulldogs Away", a set of rules for modern fast attack craft which is available through Wargames Online and that is certainly fun (at least the people who have bought it reckon it is so who am I to argue? :) ) - although it does of course deal with the lower end of the warfare spectrum. I did avariant of General Quarters that covered the falklands campaign and medium sizxed actions and again that worked well and was a hoot (unless you were commanding the Argentine garrison forces in one of our refights - then it was just pure exocet-driven agony!)

So, as you move up to the full range of modern naval warfare its not really a question of "can it be done?", more "can it be done well?" This is, IMHO, one of the toughest nuts to crack - there have been some good examples in the past, some not so good - on this front time will tell :)

juggler69uk said:
SEPERATE :eek:

And there was me hoping to use my plethora of wizkids PosM ships for both sets

I would use the exact same ships for either rule sets myself! I especially like the Viking, Asian and oared galleys.

Peace

Poi said:

This is a concern for me too - we'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Napoleonics sounds very interesting.

And with regard to WWI - will there be any space for Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905?

Cheers,

Eisho

Eisho said:
And with regard to WWI - will there be any space for Russo-Japanese war of 1904-1905?

We did look at that - however, for reasons of space, that will likely be a supplement to AoD.

Back