New Units or Army Lists for Battlefield Evo: Modern?

I'll have to study the list a bit and compare it to a few others to get a feel for the points costing. I did just see that you have stats for a Dingo in there, as well as Wiesels. Now I REALLY want to start a German contingent. Both Panzerstahl and Altaya are making Dingos in diecast now (prepainted!). The other day I found a Gepard listed somewhere in diecast too. It's made by a company called War Master. It's getting really tempting.

Can't wait to see the Canadians. I have a friend who will be really interested in them.

Ah well - as I've finished the list now, I'll post it up. 9 pages and it's got some nice bits in it. There is another Canadian list out there (CANFORCE pdf I think)which is slightly different from mine - they have teams of JTF2 in it - I didn't bother with the JTF2 guys as they don't seem to work with the regular Canadian military very often (if at all!).

CAFM 01.jpg
CAFM 02.jpg
CAFM 03.jpg

CAFM 07.jpg
CAFM 08.jpg
CAFM 09.jpg

Unlike the previous 2 lists, which were more like additions to the lists in the main book, this is a standalone list, with all the extra bits in it. Enjoy! Might look at some of the French stuff next!

Outstanding! This list may see some action with us very soon. And thank you for the mortar carrier. These are the first mortar stats I've seen for the new edition of the game. I've always been fond of mortars. I may use the 81mm stats as a guideline for stats for my Syrian Army and PLO 50mm mortars. The Coyote Reconnaissance Vehicle looks interesting too.

Again, my thanks!

Let me know how it plays out, Heinz! I like mortars as well, but I think the idea for the MC book was for them to be included under the broad "Artillery Strike" heading and off-table. I quite like them though, so I included some in the lists. The Coyote has been deployed with the Canadians quite often so it had to go in somewhere - I think it makes more sense to be where it is than in Battalion Assets though.

I'm planning on hosting a multiplayer game at my place for a bunch of friends who've never played modern wargaming, so the Canadians may see action then. The original idea was British and either U.S. Army or U.S.Marines against PLA and MEA, but British and Canadians might be kinda fun.

I wasn't able to find that other Canadian list you mentioned by Googling "Canforce.pdf". Can you think of any other names it might be under?

Again, my thanks!

Ahh - my bad. CANFORCEBETA.pdf - looks like it's still around. That list is more for the deployment in Afghanistan - it's got JTF2 and the option of dropping the LAV III for Mercedes G-wagens. He's also dropped the weapons detachment out of the list and given the option of dividing the Infantry fire teams into 2-man teams - something that the Canadians don't do according to their training - only the JTF2 go that small a unit; Infantry use the 4 man fireteam as the basic manouevre group. My list was designed to fit in with the US, British and German lists from the main rulebook - set slightly in the near future (but with most of their stuff being available now) with the ISSP future soldier equipment.

Rick, it really sounds like you know your stuff. And thanks for the correction. I was able to find the other list by that name. I also found another forum where some lists are posted. I already had the Heer and USMC lists in that posting, but there's an immense Russian list there I didn't have (by 'Pietia', but for the current rules edition!). I'd post it here, but it's almost 10MB.

Do you know if it's alright to link to another forum from here? I also have tons of units and lists, all for the old edition (I think they're all by Pietia). I got them from Battlefield Evo Command when it was still up and running. Do you know if they're listed elsewhere on Mongoose's forums? I could post them here if it wouldn't be in violation of any rules or anything...

Pietia was the main driving force behind EvoCommand, I think. He's posted a lot of links to that site in the past - but if you want to PM LBH (lastbesthope - the moderator) - he might be able to give you a better idea of what's allowable. EvoCommand had tons of stuff up on the site, but mainly for the old edition, I think - so a lot of it might not be that useful. One that might be useful if you could find it was Chiwie's Australian list - I sent him the sources for the new organisation they're trying out and he used that.

Already contacted the moderator with questions.

As for the Australian list, the one I have is from BF Evo Command. Would that be the one you're referring to? I had thought this one was done by Pietia.

My group has used some units from those postings. We've found they translate over pretty well. Basically, just points costs need to be adjusted. Of course there are some references to rules or traits that no longer exist, but we ignore these.

I just found this thread, so sorry I'm chiming in so late.

I really like what's been done with the Russian recce platoon. I do have a few questions on it, though.

On the BRDM-2, I am fine with putting the Kord 12.7mm machine gun on it in place of the KV 14.5mm, since I would have used the same stats anyway. However, why did you omit the coaxial PKT 7.62mm machine gun?

Why are sniper teams and SpetsNaz teams not available for support?

I'm looking into writing a force list for motorized infantry, riding BTR-80's and 90's. I'll post it here when I have it done.

Sevya

On the BRDM-2, I am fine with putting the Kord 12.7mm machine gun on it in place of the KV 14.5mm, since I would have used the same stats anyway. However, why did you omit the coaxial PKT 7.62mm machine gun?

Because I'm stupid, lol! :oops:

You are quite correct in that it should have the KPVT 14.5mm HMG and the PKT 7.62mm as co-ax. I will amend the list - I don't think it will increase the points as I believe I points costed for it then omitted it in the final version. I'll look at that and amend it.

Btw Sevya - I have to thank you actually. Now I've gone back and looked at the list I've realised there are a couple more mistakes with the BRDM2 which I hadn't seen - 1 was a copy and paste error with the transport number, the other was the fact that I had confused the Russian BRDM2 with the Polish BRDM2, resulting in a bigger dismount team than its entitled to - which then meant that I've had to alter the entry for the Vodnik as well, lol! I'll edit the list in a bit with the changes. But thanks for drawing my attention to that.

Edit: Ok. Updated the list. Not pretty but it has the correct info now (I hope, lol!).

Rick said:
Btw Sevya - I have to thank you actually. Now I've gone back and looked at the list I've realised there are a couple more mistakes with the BRDM2 which I hadn't seen - 1 was a copy and paste error with the transport number, the other was the fact that I had confused the Russian BRDM2 with the Polish BRDM2, resulting in a bigger dismount team than its entitled to - which then meant that I've had to alter the entry for the Vodnik as well, lol! I'll edit the list in a bit with the changes. But thanks for drawing my attention to that.

If it's nit-picky editing errors you want found, I have another couple. :)

In the stats for the BRM-1, there is a copy and paste error in the coaxial rule. The rule has the coaxial MG with a 30mm cannon, when the vehicle has a 73mm cannon.

The weapons table does not list the PKT MG. It's also not in the Russian army list in the core book. The PKM is in the MEA list. In the real world these are essentially the same weapon, the M being intended as a squad support weapon, and the T being a vehicle weapon. Or, it could use the stats for a GPMG. In any case, you just missed telling the reader what stats to use for it.

I'm still curious about the sniper and Spetsnaz teams. Sniper teams are a good way to eat a few points when an army comes up a little short, and I just like the Spetsnaz teams. The way this list is set up, neither are available to the Recce platoons. Was this deliberate?

Sevya

Sevya said:
Rick said:

If it's nit-picky editing errors you want found, I have another couple. :)

In the stats for the BRM-1, there is a copy and paste error in the coaxial rule. The rule has the coaxial MG with a 30mm cannon, when the vehicle has a 73mm cannon.

The weapons table does not list the PKT MG. It's also not in the Russian army list in the core book. The PKM is in the MEA list. In the real world these are essentially the same weapon, the M being intended as a squad support weapon, and the T being a vehicle weapon. Or, it could use the stats for a GPMG. In any case, you just missed telling the reader what stats to use for it.

I'm still curious about the sniper and Spetsnaz teams. Sniper teams are a good way to eat a few points when an army comes up a little short, and I just like the Spetsnaz teams. The way this list is set up, neither are available to the Recce platoons. Was this deliberate?

Sevya

Ok - here goes.

Yes - any errors like that please tell me about and I'll try to fix! I must've missed the PKT completely when I was looking through the book, I'll add it!

As to the Sniper and Spetznaz teams - the answer is a bit more complicated. Instead of a sniper team, each BMP section has access to an SVD armed soldier - this doesn't give you the flexibility of having a seperate, stealthy sniper team, but adds a long-range hitter to a section. It also more accurately represents the way that SVD's are used in the Russian army. I had intended to do a seperate Spetznaz list at some point which would include Marine and Airborne Spetznaz in raider or reconnaissance roles and Spetznaz sniper teams, which could then be added to certain lists (1 or 2 as Battalion Support assets) as required. If I ever get round to publishing these lists in a pdf, it'll be in there. In the meantime, feel free to use Spetznaz teams and Sniper teams (as Spetznaz sniper teams) from the main list.

I agree that your system is more how the Russians use sniper rifles. My information, which is two decades old, indicates that one rifleman in in each platoon is assigned an SVD, rather than it being an additional soldier. What is your source?

You also mentioned points costing these units. Would you mind sharing your formula/method? If I do my own work, I'd like to have a base that other players are using tom work with.

Sevya

Sevya said:
I agree that your system is more how the Russians use sniper rifles. My information, which is two decades old, indicates that one rifleman in in each platoon is assigned an SVD, rather than it being an additional soldier. What is your source?

You also mentioned points costing these units. Would you mind sharing your formula/method? If I do my own work, I'd like to have a base that other players are using tom work with.

Sevya

The information I was using was both pre- and post-afghanistan. As you say, in pre-afghanistan platoons, 1 soldier had the option of replacing his AK with an SVD. During afghanistan, company commanders tried to get hold of as many SVD's as possible as they found they were very useful in a supression role - either supporting a squad or 2-3 together in a seperate team supporting a platoon. The numbers of SVD's in a platoon seem to have increased during and post afghanistan to 1 per squad (at least in a mechanised unit). Adding an extra rifleman with an SVD rather than allowing a rifleman to swap out an AK for one seemed like a good idea at the time to limit the numbers and make a player consider whether to carry a command team or extra SVD's, as well as the fact that it can be difficult to determine whether the maximum size of a bmp squad is 7 or 8 men (sometimes the platoon or squad leader is also the vehicle commander - making the crew 2 not 3).

Unfortunately, I do not have a method to determine points values - beyond recognising that 1 man is approx 10 points - it comes down to what seems balanced in comparison with other organisations. If I come up with a set formula that seems to work, I'll let you know!

As to sources - "Janes - Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army" by David Isby is extremely thorough and still not out-dated; the organisations shown in this book are still used by the Russians (even if some of the equipment has been upgraded or superseded). If you can get hold of this book, do so - it's brilliant, but always check out the information by other sources as well (Micromark army lists are good, but not as well detailed).

Hi folks!

If I can get Shotgun to get back to work (probably needs more beer nuts), we've got a USAF book in the works... and if you remeber Cewie, he's been working on the Aussie Defense Force.

If anyone wants their work formatted in book format, with pictures and whatnot, drop me a line!

Back