New to Traveller

How prevalent is the idea wherein characters have to keep earning cash to pay for their spaceship?

Is it central to character creation, what about afterward, when the game starts?

It's not really central to character creation - even if you try to max out ship shares you are unlikely to have a character who can refuse to play ball because it's "their" ship (with the possible exception of a loaned scout ship).

In game, having mortage/maintenance/npc crew salaries to pay helps the GM maintain that 'firefly' feel to the atmosphere - if you don't keep paying and doing maintenance, the ship starts falling apart. If you don't pay crew salaries, you'll find yourself short-handed or lacking a crucial skill. If you don't pay mortgages, your creditors will come after you.

All this is going on in the background, and the trading system makes almost, but crucially not quite enough to stay afloat. Which means that every so often, the players will have to accept a mission under-the-counter from a patron they'd really rather not do business with if they weren't down to their last few creds...

...It's the counter-balance to the freedom traveller players with ships get. Unlike a D&D party stuck in a region with a war brewing, or whatever, the travellers can get back in their starship and be on the other side of the bleedin' sector within a month. You can't force them to interact in a place which is clearly dangerous and they're clearly at a disadvantage because they can always fly off. It's that looming threat of running costs and debt which gives you the carrot (or stick) to make them (occasionally) do what you want to.

Thanks for the replies.

If I wanted to run a 'Starship Trooper's bug hunt scenario, or a campaign where the pcs were space police/enforcers/agents, both would mean they don't need to worry about the upkeep of their ships as both would be funded.

Is this possible?

In short, is it possible to simply drop the upkeep idea if I wanted to do so, are the rules accomodating?

Grimolde said:
Thanks for the replies.

If I wanted to run a 'Starship Trooper's bug hunt scenario, or a campaign where the pcs were space police/enforcers/agents, both would mean they don't need to worry about the upkeep of their ships as both would be funded.

Is this possible?

In short, is it possible to simply drop the upkeep idea if I wanted to do so, are the rules accomodating?

Certainly it's possible. The ship could be funded by a corporation, maybe they want to open up new trade routes and hire the PC's to facilitate this. Could be a wealthy patron has an interest in exploration and is funding an expidition. Perhaps someone in the party got the ship as an inheritance and so on. Ship mortgage doesn't have to be a factor if you don't want it to be.

Thanks for the replies.

Is this possible?

The rules are there for you, not the other way around. As noted, costs/upkeep/etc is mostly there to give to a handle to direct the players. If they are security/law enforcement/military, it's inappropriate for it to be there from a background perspective but it's also not necessary - if you want a group of soldier PCs to do something, you can make it an order from a superior officer...

Some people seem to believe they *have* to muster out and go freelance with other players's character in the same situation. There is no reason the cast of characters are not still in a service. You have less freedom to go anywhere, do anything but you also have a central campaign theme, share relations to the scenarios and often have resources such as ships and weapon supplied. You are mercs working for a merc outfit, merchants part of a star faring corporation, scientists from an academy or explorers in service to the government.

When I create characters and plan to have them remain in service, any mustering event just means this is the beginning of the present term in the service. You can also allow players to do any number of terms to achieve certain desired ranks and such then let that be their starting point in their career.

You can also allow players to do any number of terms to achieve certain desired ranks and such then let that be their starting point in their career.

You'd be well advised to look at something like the Living Traveller 'points-buy' for characters; the odds of making it to high-ranking naval officers by random rolls alone are somewhat low...

locarno24 said:
You can also allow players to do any number of terms to achieve certain desired ranks and such then let that be their starting point in their career.

You'd be well advised to look at something like the Living Traveller 'points-buy' for characters; the odds of making it to high-ranking naval officers by random rolls alone are somewhat low...

Or else use the rules for Centennials fromTerra/Sol Games' Twilight Sector

Grimolde said:
What supplement do I need to run a Starship Troopers type game?

Thanks

Well there was a Classic Traveller adventure called Chamax Plague that was quite similar ie endless bugs to fight so maybe have a look at that if you can find it cheap on Ebay etc.

As for the combat aspects you would need Core Rule Book, CSC (for better equipment) and perhaps Mercenary for massed combat rules/Mercenary characters.

For the naval parts probably High Guard would do you fine.

For the alien creatures you could design these with the creature rules in the Core Rule book but there is a supplement called Animal Encounters. I haven't got it so don't know if it would be any use, I would guess it wouldn't be worth the expenditure though.

If you were wanting to go down the miniatures for combat resolution route you could take a look at the Fast and Dirty, or Dirtside II rules, and there are others. Personally I think F&D is quite close to Traveller.

And as for your upkeep question yes if you were playing anything where the characters do not actually own their ship and therefore aren't responsible for the maintenance you would just ignore the maintenance aspects of the game and assume the ship is regularly maintained before every trip out. It would only be if you are away from naval bases for long periods of time that maintenance might come into play (like it would in an exploratory type Star Trek game).

The fact is Traveller is a very flexible game and most people adapt the rules into their own interpretation of the game. So you can do anything you want with the core rule book - Star Trek, Starship Troopers, Alien, Star Wars, are all possible with a little bit of simple reworking of some of the games concepts. As mentioned in the core rule book, just because the 3I Traveller system is designed around week long jumps and lack of long range communication, doesn't mean you can't introduce warp or hyperspace and faster-than-light Star Trek-type communications instead if you want to.

Grimolde said:
Pheww, that's a lot of books.

Thanks for the info
Well... if you are willing to put the effort in, you can get by with Core Rulebook, as long as you and your players are willing to use a bit of imagination and time. To keep costs down you can get scenarios and other things for free from http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/signsnportentsarchive

There is a complete campaign available for free:-
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-1-secrets-of-the-ancients.html

And there is another campaign under development, also for free (note - this campaign may need a book to go with it) :-
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-2-the-pirates-of-drinax.html

I am getting ready to resume running a Secrets of the Ancients campaign in April.

I've found it necessary to modify MgT books as I read them - judicious use of a pencil and yellow highlighter pen can keep things running smoothly when running a game. And, in particular I've found that making notes and updating them can help as well. I've written up some notes of my own.

HTH,

Ian

Why do I have to wait for a free download? I've registered and everything, but no SotA pdf download link is forthcoming.

Grimolde said:
Why do I have to wait for a free download? I've registered and everything, but no SotA pdf download link is forthcoming.

I don't know. If you're on this page http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-1-secrets-of-the-ancients.html then you should see the right page.

On that page is a "Quick overview" that reads "A completely free downloadable epic campaign that reveals the heart of the Third Imperium setting."

Just below that is some small red text "Secrets of the Ancients". Clicking on that starts downloading SoTA as a zip file.

Does that help?

IanBruntlett said:
Grimolde said:

I don't know. If you're on this page http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/adventures-and-campaigns/campaign-1-secrets-of-the-ancients.html then you should see the right page.

On that page is a "Quick overview" that reads "A completely free downloadable epic campaign that reveals the heart of the Third Imperium setting."

Just below that is some small red text "Secrets of the Ancients". Clicking on that starts downloading SoTA as a zip file.

Does that help?
Ooops :oops:

Yes :)

Thanks

I've never run a Traveller game before, and most of my players are new as well.

I'm going to be very lazy and ask someone to give a quick summary of what SotA is about.

Is it ok for a newbie group, or is there another easier intro to the game someone could suggest?

Thanks

I suggest not running SoTA for a new group, especially one that has players new to the game. Just simply roll up a couple of planets, give them a ship, then run around like a headless chicken.
All joking aside, just roll up a few patrons per planet (or just use some example ones), do some trading, maybe some space combat as well. Introduce the setting to them. After a while, run SoTA.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/signsnportentsarchive

This is the Signs & Portents Archive.

The Traveller Signs and Portents Index. Is the 6th pined thread on this sub-forum. There is a lot of good stuff out there to use. Poke around a bit.

Annic Nova in S&P 93 is an ok derelict starship investigation.
I liked StarChild from S&P 57 and S&P 58 allso. It has Psi powers and Zhodane!! :shock:

ShawnDriscoll said:
The PDF edition of the core rulebook has different artwork than the hardcover edition?
The first run of the core had some um... "ugly" artwork especially in the "careers" section.

The later printings as well as the LBB of core rulebook have significantly improved art.

I believe the PDF was updated to the newer artwork but, as always, don't quote me on that.

Back