New to Traveller

Grimolde

Mongoose
Been roleplaying over 30 years but never Traveller. I find that incredible.

I've been asked to run Traveller/Firefly campaign, so could you tell me what books I'd need?

Also, is the pocket edition identical to the default core rulebook?

And I think I need to update my corerulebook as it doesn't have any art on page 12. Is this correct?

Thanks all

I think the only book you really need is the core rulebook. As
far as I know the pocket edition is almost identical, only a few
footnotes are missing. It depends on your campaign whether
other books could prove useful, but none of them is a "must
have" for all types of campaigns. In my view the most gene-
rally useful one is the Central Supply Catalogue (players tend
to be fascinated by more gear with more power ...), and for
a campaign with the focus on space High Guard could also be
useful. If your characters enjoy the trade element, Merchant
Prince could be nice to have.

Welcome to Traveller!

Like rust said, pocket edition is identical except missing footnotes (and some obvious missing multiplication signs in my edition).

Especially for a Firefly campaign, the Core rulebook should be more than sufficient. Free online deckplans and 'Verse maps fill out the rest quite well - and have seen several Traveller/Firefly games.

In my friend's PDF the page 12 of the core rules looks
like this, if you have all the text the missing art should
be a negligible problem.

Attachments

• Aufzeichnen.PNG
    Aufzeichnen.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,783
Thanks for that.

Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.

Thank you

Grimolde said:
Can someone provide a link to the character sheet please? Apparently it's on the main Traveller web page but I can't find it.
At the bottom of this page is the link:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/core-rulebooks-accessories/traveller-core-rulebook.html

rust said:
Grimolde said:
At the bottom of this page is the link:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/traveller/core-rulebooks-accessories/traveller-core-rulebook.html
Ah that web site, thank you

Grimolde said:
Thanks for that.

Thank you
The fillable version of the official character sheet, along with various character sheets in MS-Word, Plain Form PDF, and Fillable PDF can be found at the MGT Aids elist (see my signature below for the link)

Grimolde said:
Been roleplaying over 30 years but never Traveller. I find that incredible.
I've been asked to run Traveller/Firefly campaign, so could you tell me what books I'd need?
Also, is the pocket edition identical to the default core rulebook?
And I think I need to update my corerulebook as it doesn't have any art on page 12. Is this correct?
Thanks all

Probably the Library Data book would be a good buy as it covers all the backup info on vehicles, History of the Traveller Universe, etc, that the Core Rule Book doesn't and that I found really useful in the Library Data books of Classic Traveller. You may want to get the Spinward Marches book if you plan to travel in the Traveller Universe rather than make your own Firefly universe. And yes the CSC book is practically a must have.

Errata is mentioned here :
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=21694&highlight=errata

A PDF character sheet that I did is here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=25265

Scoundrel is probably the single most useful book aside from the Core for a Firefly style campaign. While the Serenity was a smuggling ship, and did some lawful trade when they could come by it, most of the adventures revolved around the action, and interesting characters/dialogue, stemming from various unconventional sidejobs or the unexpected complications from regular work not so much the work itself.

Scoundrel works in suggestions and systems for the fun stuff like running break-ins or cons and gambling and other such shadysome behavior. A few more campaign appropriate ships and some gear is tucked in as well as some beefed up career options.

As for making the whole cargo aspect more interesting I'd probably lean more towards 101 Cargoes from BITs (if you can find it) as that's just laden with story hooks and randomized tables to turn any load of goods into a pile of sticky luh suh.

For the aspects of trade that come at you sideways, like trying to sway a reluctant potential client into using your services or the complications that might arise in the process of delivery or retrieval, there's really no beating GURPs Traveller's Far Trader. While it's pretty pointy headed and scholarly in its examination of how interstellar trade could really work it's also laden with practical notions about how the flow of cargo to client and back again works. Should fill your head full of rascally ideas and inspiration.

Mongoose's Merchant Prince is useful more for the spreadsheety side of things. Building a company, adding variety and realism to the trading mini-game aspect of things, etc. If you want immediately actionable mechanics and your players love pouring over the accounting and trade aspect of the game as fun in itself, some do - I ain't one to judge, then this is a no brainer. But for a more story and action oriented bunch it might not add a whole lot. The core book trading rules are full of holes but they get the job done, giving a captain and his crew an excuse to travel and stumble across more interesting things to do, without a whole mess of fuss and bother.

I'll second the suggestion of "Scoundrel" for a Firefly (or "Han Solo") type campaign. It's a great book for characters that "aim to misbehave", whether they are just trying to make a buck on "off the books" work and questionable cargoes or planning for a full-on life of piracy.

hdan said:
I'll second the suggestion of "Scoundrel" for a Firefly (or "Han Solo") type campaign. It's a great book for characters that "aim to misbehave", whether they are just trying to make a buck on "off the books" work and questionable cargoes or planning for a full-on life of piracy.

I third it. The "Merchants" book might be a semi-useful book for you for opponents and expanded Merchant character options but I'd be wary of parts of it (it's by the same guy who did Mercenary; I'll give him points for writing with being fun in mind but IMNHO he sacrificed quite a bit of my preferred type of realism).

Second, third or fourth the above, for a "Firefly" campaign Core book is, frankly, all you need. Scoundrel may be useful (if Mal had read it he and his crew might have spent less time cocking their heists up!), and CSC may be of interest for kit (though I would recommend that you decide what items are going to be available in YTU, don't just adopt it wholesale), add other books as and when you feel the need.

For a "Firefly" type game I wouldn't really bother with the 3I stuff, just use the core book to create a sub sector, fudging the results shamelessly if they don't fit what you want (perhaps 20 or 30 worlds as UWPs would be enough), cap technology at TL10, 11 or, at most, 12, and rule that there are no other sophants (until, or unless, you decide to add one), a quick 100 word background (which you could virtually rip off from Firefly), and get your Serenity up into the black.

Better a working game this week than a "perfect" game next year.

Egil

Egil Skallagrimsson said:
Second, third or fourth the above, for a "Firefly" campaign Core book is, frankly, all you need. Scoundrel may be useful (if Mal had read it he and his crew might have spent less time cocking their heists up!), and CSC may be of interest for kit (though I would recommend that you decide what items are going to be available in YTU, don't just adopt it wholesale), add other books as and when you feel the need.

For a "Firefly" type game I wouldn't really bother with the 3I stuff, just use the core book to create a sub sector, fudging the results shamelessly if they don't fit what you want (perhaps 20 or 30 worlds as UWPs would be enough), cap technology at TL10, 11 or, at most, 12, and rule that there are no other sophants (until, or unless, you decide to add one), a quick 100 word background (which you could virtually rip off from Firefly), and get your Serenity up into the black.

Better a working game this week than a "perfect" game next year.

Egil
Egil, stop inspiring me to start up so many projects.
Great, now I have the idea of writing a Firefly/Serenity style campaign sourcebook. Do you think Hard Burn would be a good name for it?

How prevalent is the idea wherein characters have to keep earning cash to pay for their spaceship?

Is it central to character creation, what about afterward, when the game starts?

Well someone has to pay. To keep a ship flying is not cheep. There are ways to chang that. Go to work for someone is will pay for it. If one of your players is a scout. An old Scout ship is a good option. But there are subsidized ships and old 3rd and 4th hand ships. That only cost 30% of the cost of a new ship. But they smell bad and cost 3x as much in spare parts to keep runing, ect.

You can allso just "give" them a ship as their first adventure. As I like derelict ships and long hunts for lost treasure. I have used a Sky Raider inspired 200dt J2-M4 scout ship. In a hunt for the past story arc game. In one game we used a modified Annic Nova. Found while mineing the Gas Giant moon she was hidden on. :mrgreen:

Back