New to runequest, have a few questions

nightshifter

Mongoose
Hi folks.

I’m relatively new to Runequest. I played in one game that was truly brutal. We played with no magic, so only standard healing. I loved the combat system and the fact that you have to put some forethought into combat. I have run CoC and BRP, but in non-fantasy settings.

I want to run a game soon and have a few questions.

First, I would like to use divine magic and sorcery but no common magic. How well do think this will work? My hope is to have a priest type and a sorcerer type. Will the non-magic users be underpowered? Will the two styles be balanced?

How compatible is BRP with MRQ2? Are the magic staff rules, from BRP appropriate? How about the familiar rules? Is it possible to modify spells from BRP to MRQ 2? I have read that for an extended adventure, that it may be necessary to increase the rate of magic point regeneration and more spells the better.

In MRQ1, it was possible to take a penalty to target a specific location or bypass armor. To my knowledge with combat maneuvers, this isn’t possible. Anyone still use the penalty rule?

nightshifter said:
I’m relatively new to Runequest.

I hope you stick with it - RuneQuest can be a fantastic game.

nightshifter said:
I played in one game that was truly brutal. We played with no magic, so only standard healing. I loved the combat system and the fact that you have to put some forethought into combat. I have run CoC and BRP, but in non-fantasy settings.

Standard RuneQuest without magic can be deadly. In my opinion, you need magic, or healing at least, otherwise you won't last long in combat.

nightshifter said:
First, I would like to use divine magic and sorcery but no common magic. How well do think this will work? My hope is to have a priest type and a sorcerer type. Will the non-magic users be underpowered? Will the two styles be balanced?

Hmm, if you go down that route then you really need everyone to be one or the other.

Non-magic users will be drastically underpowered if you don't allow them to have Common Magic. Common Magic is a poor substitute for Divine Magic/Spirit Magic or Sorcery, but it is far better than nothing.

Sorcery and Divine Magic is not really balanced, but that doesn't matter. They do different things. The best thing to do would be to try it out and see what happens. If you find things unbalanced then change a few things.

nightshifter said:
How compatible is BRP with MRQ2? Are the magic staff rules, from BRP appropriate? How about the familiar rules? Is it possible to modify spells from BRP to MRQ 2? I have read that for an extended adventure, that it may be necessary to increase the rate of magic point regeneration and more spells the better.

BRP is broadly compatible with MRQII but you have to do a bit of work.

Skills are pretty compatible, but some skills have been renamed and there are skills that don't really cross over.

Magic from the BRP Rulebook is very different from MRQII Magic, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't use BRP Magic in MRQII. Of course, magic from the Basic Magic BRP Monograph is almost completely compatible with MRQII magic, or is easily used with MRQII.

The more spells the better is always a good way of thinking, whatever the game. As for magic point regeneration, it depends on the style of game you are running.

nightshifter said:
In MRQ1, it was possible to take a penalty to target a specific location or bypass armor. To my knowledge with combat maneuvers, this isn’t possible. Anyone still use the penalty rule?

No, it sucks big time.

From a GM's point of view, it makes things like dragons simply too killable.

From a player's point of view, it is great as it makes dragons easy targets. However, NPCs shouldn't have it otherwise they would be too powerful.

If you allow it in your game then you should allow NPCs to have it as well - if you think that RQ is deadly now then allow NPCs to ignore armour at half chance and see how deadly it becomes.

There is a Combat Manoeuvre that ignores armour but only on a critical, which relates to how RQ used to work.

soltakss said:
BRP is broadly compatible with MRQII but you have to do a bit of work.

Skills are pretty compatible, but some skills have been renamed and there are skills that don't really cross over.
For example, Mongoose have made a deliberate decision to remove the Dodge skill from the game. Adding it back in would have a significant effect on the balance, especially if some characters have it and some do not. I'm still unsure if this was the right thing to do, I'll see how my game goes as it is.

As far as swapping out rules... I would try to just stick with Runequest 2-Glorantha as written at least for a couple of games.
There is a very innovative system in there, but it is hard to get your head around it sometimes unless you really play it out.

As far as common magic, I would let the players use it but you might want to limit which spells they can choose from. Unless they are coming from some sort of magical background, I prefer it if my players don't select the "flashier" common magic spells. I like to think of them more as "utility" powers or just practical applications of magic.

BRP is cool... but let it go. MGRQ2 is ...chill.

Dodge is still there; it's just called Evade now. And yeah, at higher skill levels sorcery and divine magic are very powerful. Doesn't make you less vulnerable to someone cutting you to shreds though - unlike D&D, there are few spells so powerful as to eclipse a non-magical character entirely, and they are only available rarely due to the low number of Magic Points for Sorcerers and the relatively small number of spells per day for a divine caster (not include Rune Priests, who are the most powerful divine casters in the game and are expected to use their great power responsibly; not just risking their lives hunting for treasure).

It's also worth noting that divine casters need to spend a lot of time working towards furthering their church before they can receive the more powerful spells, while Sorcerers have to find more spellbooks in order to learn more spells. Sure, there's great power to be had, but it must be earned, and those who don't focus on magic can potentially use their growing wealth and reputation to gain political/military muscle.

Having said that, Common Magic isn't especially powerful, but it has its uses (particularly in terms of countering the spells of others).

Common Magic isn't especially powerful, but it has its uses

Sky bolt is as deadly as they come.
Befuddle renders takes out one of the foes for a while.
Bladesharp/Bludgeon are always useful, especially at low skill levels.
Heal is must.
... its just finding the some one to teach them, and having the cash to pay them.

Thanks for the response.

I would try to just stick with Runequest 2-Glorantha

I've been reading up on Glorantha and its pretty cool. One of the most enjoyable part of gaming for me is world creation. I normally run modern/sci-fi and haven't run fantasy quite a few years. I looking forward to working some stuff up.

It's also worth noting that divine casters need to spend a lot of time working towards furthering their church before they can receive the more powerful spells, while Sorcerers have to find more spellbooks in order to learn more spells. Sure, there's great power to be had, but it must be earned, and those who don't focus on magic can potentially use their growing wealth and reputation to gain political/military muscle.

This is very much the way I'm looking to go. My way of thinking is that a caster has a ton of baggage with professions. A non-caster would have a bit more freedom at start.

No, it sucks big time.

From a GM's point of view, it makes things like dragons simply too killable.

From a player's point of view, it is great as it makes dragons easy targets. However, NPCs shouldn't have it otherwise they would be too powerful.

If you allow it in your game then you should allow NPCs to have it as well - if you think that RQ is deadly now then allow NPCs to ignore armour at half chance and see how deadly it becomes.

There is a Combat Manoeuvre that ignores armour but only on a critical, which relates to how RQ used to work.

I see your point. How about hit location?

Exubae said:
Common Magic isn't especially powerful, but it has its uses

Sky bolt is as deadly as they come.
Befuddle renders takes out one of the foes for a while.
Bladesharp/Bludgeon are always useful, especially at low skill levels.
Heal is must.
... its just finding the some one to teach them, and having the cash to pay them.

Skybolt is one of the more deadly common magic spells. Damage is 2D6. The Divine magic version of this spell, lightning strike, causes 3D6 damage, as it should, since it's a Divine Spell. The power of the Skybolt spell borders on sorcery. I think of common magic as the magic that anyone can learn, be they farmers or heros. A spell that can start a camp fire without matches (Ignite) fits my vision of a common magic spell. Other spells such as Abacus, Bladesharp, Cauterise, Heal, or Light, also fit my idea of Common Magic. Skybolt is almost a sorcery spell, but it's a non-progressive magnitude 3 spell. So, I'm still willing to consider it a Common spell.
I'm a little disappointed that firebolt is not listed in the MRQ2 book as a sorcery spell. It was an insanely powerful sorcery spell in MRQ1, especially when using the MRQ1 magnitude rules. I think of powerful sorcerers casting bolts of lightning and fireballs. In MRQ2, magnitude no longer determines the strength of a spell, except as it compares for counter magic purposes, although the offensive power of other spells, such as Wrack, is tied to the character's grimoire skill level. So progressive-like spells are still available to sorcerers. I suppose I can devise my own firebolt sorcery spell. I don't have Cults of Glorantha yet. So I don't know whether a similar sorcery spell is in this book. I'm thinking that most spells in this book are Divine Spells. Perhaps Mongoose will eventually put out a spell book (hint, hint), or maybe the Abiding Book will have more sorcery spells.

I would recommend playing MRQ2 with the rules as written for the first couple games to see how it works for you, before you change anything.

I started with BRP, then found MRQ2. I messed with the rules a lot, like I did for BRP, for my homebrew setting. After a while I realized that I wasted a lot of time and effort. I just needed to use MRQ2, as is, and adjust my setting to it, rather than the other way around. Minor little changes are okay, YRQWV, but try it first as is.

nightshifter said:
I see your point. How about hit location?

Sure, halving the chance for an aimed blow works OK.

I can't remember if there is a combat Manoeuvre that allows for an aimed shot but I can't see why there shouldn't be one.

Back