New Printing Facility

CharlieMonster said:
It is certainly capable of colour production so that presumably isn't the issue with forthcoming monochromity (is that even a real word? Who cares I like it!). I know there are plans for a Glorantha Box set, wiv poster maps 'n' stuff, which, one assumes, will issue forth from Mongoose Print Control.
The words are monochromy for B/W and quadrachromy for full color.

Rurik said:
Well it looks as though I should correct myself - it appears that many recent WHFRP books are $25 for 96 page B&W, so Mongoose is not alone in charging this as I claimed earlier.

Yes - and the connecting factor between WHFRP and RQ? Both from British publishers. . .

msprange said:
Rurik said:
Well it looks as though I should correct myself - it appears that many recent WHFRP books are $25 for 96 page B&W, so Mongoose is not alone in charging this as I claimed earlier.

Yes - and the connecting factor between WHFRP and RQ? Both from British publishers. . .
I noticed that books produced in UK were slightly higher than elsewhere. Could this be due to some taxes or just because printing is more expensive there?

msprange said:
Rurik said:

How long are we going to dodge Rurik's real question (apologies Rurik if I am the one misunderstanding your question)?

Before the switch to Mongooses own press :
96 Pages Color for a price of X

After the switch to Mongooses own press, and:
96 Pages B&W for the same cost of X

Why? Why the loss of "production value"? Shouldn't switching to your own printing facilities bring something positive to the customer in the end (or at the very least not take anything away from the customer). If not, why the move?

Just askin'.

Britain is an expensive place to operate (and live, grumble grumble); I'm obviously not party to the numbers on this, but I'd hazard a guess that the costs of buying and operating a printing plant here, may cancel out the gain from not having to deal with, and ship from, an independent printer in cheap-as-chips China. :(

The gains would then be control, flexibility, responsiveness and cutting out the delays of shipping, rather than cheaper printing.

Just out of interest, is the Mongoose press going to be fully dedicated to Mongoose publications or will it also be printing for anyone else?

The King said:
CharlieMonster said:
It is certainly capable of colour production so that presumably isn't the issue with forthcoming monochromity (is that even a real word? Who cares I like it!). I know there are plans for a Glorantha Box set, wiv poster maps 'n' stuff, which, one assumes, will issue forth from Mongoose Print Control.

Technically wouldn't quadrochromy be 4 colours? Some printing processes use more than 4 colours (including black which depending on your level of pedantry isn't a colour)

:lol:

LBH

ninthcouncil said:
Britain is an expensive place to operate (and live, grumble grumble); I'm obviously not party to the numbers on this, but I'd hazard a guess that the costs of buying and operating a printing plant here, may cancel out the gain from not having to deal with, and ship from, an independent printer in cheap-as-chips China. :(

The gains would then be control, flexibility, responsiveness and cutting out the delays of shipping, rather than cheaper printing.

There we go.

Incidentally, the industry of today is not the industry of 20 years ago. We're talking about a time when a few thousand copies of an RPG being sold worldwide make it a big seller. I expect a lot of companies with the means to make it happen would like to take up this in-house printing option not as a means of 'passing on the proftits' to the customers, but as a means of staying in business and actually being able to make enough money to make it worthwhile.

lastbesthope said:
The King said:

Technically wouldn't quadrochromy be 4 colours? Some printing processes use more than 4 colours (including black which depending on your level of pedantry isn't a colour)

:lol:

LBH
Though I knew some of it, I learnt much in a previous thread on this forum. Quadrichromy (or quadrachromy) concerns Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. With this 4 colors you can create any other colors you want (e.g. you get purple from blue (cyan) and red (magenta), etc.

Here is the link http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17622&highlight=cyan

as well as some info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-color_printing

All the difficulty being to have the exact ratio to obtain the color desired.

The King said:
I noticed that books produced in UK were slightly higher than elsewhere. Could this be due to some taxes or just because printing is more expensive there?

People get paid more here. . .

msprange said:
Rurik said:

Actually, I thought WHFRP is being published by Green Ronin, a US company.

The connection is that both produce 96 page books for $25 dollars. I was actually admitting to claiming in error that the other companies that charge $25 for 96 page books and $35 for 160 page books were all charging that for color books - which clearly is not the case.

MRQ is without question at the high end of what a RPG costs. I am not complaining about that - I have been quite happy with all my purchases since the Companion. It is the fact that the books, which are already pricey, are going down in production quality (by going B&W, err, monochromy).

Dead Blue Clown said:
I expect a lot of companies with the means to make it happen would like to take up this in-house printing option not as a means of 'passing on the proftits' to the customers, but as a means of staying in business and actually being able to make enough money to make it worthwhile.

I have never indicated I expected the product to get cheaper. I was taken back that in fact I was getting a lesser quality product for the same money.

By lesser quality I mean print production wise - I do not mean to say that I expect Bryan to be eating his Sith figurines.

Rurik said:
Actually, I thought WHFRP is being published by Green Ronin, a US company.

Well technically WFRP is produced by Black Industries a UK based subsidiary of Green Ronin, which is indeed a US company and under licence from GW another british company. Oh and to really confuse matters it's printed in Canada.

Clearly Green Ronin are attempting to build a multi-national megacorporation, take over the world and turn us all into cottage cheese which they can sell to aliens. Or I might just be projecting my own fevered imaginings. It's often hard to tell these days.

msprange said:
The King said:

People get paid more here. . .

I almost fell off my chair, choking .......

Back