New Edition of Block War

Greg Smith said:
cfirpi said:
So by having +6 mutant armour and 5 points leather, armour can be +7. With two psi talents, it can go up to +11. Nice!

Yes, but think how expensive that ONE model would be. Holy Grud!

RejjeN said:
There's a turn limit?

And since we're talking basic rules anyway, what are the dimensions of a standard JDMG board? The deployment zone measurements and the actual pictures seem slightly conflicting or at the very least confusing at times

There are only turn limits for sepcial scenarios, like tournaments or if the players decide on one.

As for the average dimension of the play table. The play size, just like the rest of the game is very flexible. You can play a block war (ie 3000pts) on a 4'x4' or on a 2'x2' or a 2'x4'. Heck me and my kids played a game on an 18inx20in once. 400pts, its was brutal but fun. It was on a restuarant table so LOTS of terrain (cups, silverware, condiments, sandbag walls of sugar packets)

Remember this game is not meant to be like all those OTHER big name games who take them selves to seriously.
Remeber, it's fun!
It's Felxible!
And in the World of Judge Dredd (2000AD) Anything can (and ussually does) happen.

I have challenged the Dark Judges... (have old GW miniatures of all four so why not...)

So on Sunday I will see how Dredd, Anderson, Giant, Demarco, a Senior Judge and two Heavy Weapons Judges with those anti personnel Rotary Cannons, along with 4 Lawmasters fare against Death, Fear, Fire and Mortis... (total points - 3295 against the Dark Judges 3300...)

My guess looking at the stats is that the Dark Judges will rip the Mega City Judges to pieces in two minutes flat, but we shall see :) - I know that the rest of my gaming group are looking forward to seeing me beaten badly!

Don't forget their spirit form.

Target DiMarco first, to get rid of the psycher, if a DJ dies, then possess Dredd..... Oooohhhhhh!

Winged_Human said:
Don't forget their spirit form.

Target DiMarco first, to get rid of the psycher, if a DJ dies, then possess Dredd..... Oooohhhhhh!

You mean target Anderson first. Also I'm pretty sure there is a rule somewhere that Dredd cant be possesed, or killed, or anything that would remove him from the table. (j/K though it would make sense.)

Dropped DeMarco, PI as she can't use some of her talents (one is Defensive Fire, which doesn't exist (or I cannot find it despite running a search in both PDF's...), two are for rifle weapons only when all she has is a hand gun), a couple of others are for bikes - spent the 250 points on 5 electro cordons and a street Judge.

Still reckon I won't last 2 minutes... :D

Try by all means, but only outcome I can see is win for Dark Judges.

Their spirit form, not of this world and 30 hits mean you need to approach a kill mission with them differently.

I would take:

4x level riot judges, riot foam, accurate, luck of grud
(add 1 more maybe to make sure)

rest of points on
level 2 psi judges, max out will, ecto shield, ecto attack, academy star (+1 will)
maybe level 3/ 4 for more will & psi, luck of grud e.t.c.

Phase 1 - Riot judges foam up and immobilise the dark judges
(This is easist way to shut them down, but can also use electro zap guns, leg shots, concussion grenades e.t.c. but are relying then on hitting them every turn)

Phase 2 - Then pick 1 Dark Judge
Phase 3 - Position judges so all have los and are in range
Phase 4 - Riot judges only the DJ to 'death', Psi Judges go on alert
Phase 5 - once DJ goes spirit, Psi Js ecto attack it, hopefully to death
Phase 6 - Psi Js recover Psi with special actions

Phase 7 - Repeat 2-6 until all gone.

It will take a long time, isn't guaranteed and will not be that fun a game, but can't see any other way to get the kills.

Fighting the DJs in most games will come down to going for scenario win and avoiding the like the plague.

Hopefully there is a scenario game, or else it will be very.... brutal.

numanti said:
Dropped DeMarco, PI as she can't use some of her talents (one is Defensive Fire, which doesn't exist (or I cannot find it despite running a search in both PDF's...), two are for rifle weapons only when all she has is a hand gun), a couple of others are for bikes

Yes, now that you mention it, there is a disconnect between the Judge Demarco and P.I. Demarco. In fact I dont understand why she has rifle talents to begin with. That is just another one of those things that sneaks in.

They basically just took her off as a judge and turned her civvy then gave her two more levels. Which just doesnt work.

So Demarco P.I's Rules are going to need to be rethought from the ground up I think.

It was a draw. Judges just kept out of the DJ's way by riding around on Lawmasters, firing bike cannon from afar, chipping away.

In hindsight, I would have not bothered with Dredd, or any Heavy Weapons Judges, or Giant. Just as many Judges on Lawmasters as I could fit on the table! The Judges basically rode rings around the DJ's until I lost concentration and allowed Anderson to get a bit too close to Fear, so he was able to move within range of using his Psi attack Insanity on her, which removed her from the table.

Without any Psi's left, there would be nothing I could have done about the Spirit Forms of the remaining Dark Judges (I had already destroyed Fire - plus his Spirit Form, and was whittling down the other three and moving on out of their range) but I just positioned her badly as the game was taking FOREVER - the DJ's couldn't touch any of my Judges so they were all completely unharmed, and it was clear that I would (eventually) destroy their physical bodies then just stay out of the way of the spirit forms. At this point we declared the draw.

If I had taken a Manta or something, I am not sure what the Dark Judges could do against something that can just keep out of their way and plug away at them.

As it is, I still think they are overpowered in a way that they aren't in the comics. The 3 or more save they get really decides the shoot from afar then move out of range tactic from the get go: IMO this save should be affected by AP as normal armour saves are: as it stands, the trick is to roll as many shooting dice as possible at them and some will get through... no-one will want to get any closer than 23 inches away from these guys! :) I did a lot better than expected but had to play a dull game to do it.

See thats what I ws afraid of. Without a scenario objective, the game woudl be either onsided DJ's or a complete bore for both players.

Yeah that "They are not of this world" save needs to be rethought.
The idea the AP affects it sounds like a perfect solution!

So out of curiosity, since most of the Reputation related rules were taken out are you going to drop the idea of reputation or lare you lining up different rules that will be dependant on rep?

The Dark Judges section says
"The Dark Judges may never be purchased new equipment or weapons (just keep on counting the Credits as they come in!) but can earn experience, gaining new levels and Talents, as normal"

¿What are the XP reqs to level up from ∞ ?
Also as asked before what xp do they give when defeated?

I recommend 6+ for the not of this world rule. The low number works great for demons who only have 6 hits. 30 is just....I dont have the words. Then followed by 6 hit immune to physical attacks.

You can fight one Dark judge against double the points in Justice department and the Dark Judge would still win.

I understand trying o make them like the stories, but as a player force right now, No Way!

I don't think they're meant to be a regular player force. Since they're 800 Credits each, and aren't Mercenaries, how would you go about fielding them in a starting gang? :)

They cannot really be like in the stories though - in the stories their physical bodies range from really hard to damage (tons of Judges rapid firing into Death's body before he spooks out) to really easy (Batman impaling Death on some Gotham railings by accident, then setting him on fire slightly resulting in Death vacating the body immediately would indicate one incendiary would take the creep out and remain true to the spirit of the comics...depending on the needs of the particular story, of course...)

In the game the 30 hits is fair enough - it's the extra 3+ save that cannot be modified I can't see any real precedent for - not even against them having that extra save as such, but the combination of plus points makes fighting them a pain - not impossible, as I discovered (get a vehicle with weapons on, stay out of range), just... not fun for either side.

Also not sure why the DJ's have offensive Psi talents? Never known those in the comics.

Finally - someone has to point it out - attacking the spirit forms. Fair enough, immune to normal weaponry. But it was established pretty early on in 2000AD that a Suction Trap could be used to capture the spirit form of a Dark Judge - as could anything with enough suction and a container! A dyson and a bottle could do it... :)

Back