New Edition of Block War

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
A new edition of Block War is now available, full of lots of new tweaks and rules. As always, you can grab it from http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/jdblockwar.pdf

First couple of questions:

1: How many XP do you get for killing a level ∞ hero?
2: Summon Psychic Entity is back, are there any stats for psychic entities?
3: The effects for Battle of Wills last until the end of the turn. Wouldn't this be better if it lasted until the end of the opposing player's next phase (same consideration as Concussive Blast etc).

Plus a comment:

Vigilante Werewolves!

How does the Slippery Talent interact with the Injury Roll made at the end of a campaign game? If he "always returns to his force at the end of a fight.", "No matter how badly injured he is", does that ignore the Dead results as well as any "The Hero must miss the next X games"?

-Ken

WereRogue said:
How does the Slippery Talent interact with the Injury Roll made at the end of a campaign game? If he "always returns to his force at the end of a fight.", "No matter how badly injured he is", does that ignore the Dead results as well as any "The Hero must miss the next X games"?

-Ken

He can return to his force, but he will still be dead :)

Can you clarify the Cursed Earth armour mutation?

If a figure has +6 mutant armour and pad armour (+4), does this equate to +7 armour?

Or is it still +6 (ie the chose part of the rule)?

How does extra armour from psi talents apply?

Also, why is the armour mutation so poor for the mercanary mutant?

Two have the dark judges have talents which they don't have the lower talents on the line. Do they have the lower levels?

How many XP to get to level infinity +1? (My inner mathematician cries out in pain!)

Nipping this one in the bud before the rules lawyers latch on to it:

Are the Dark Judges required to attempt an arrest before killing someone?

PS. Yay! Dark Judges. I'm looking forward to seeing the models. :twisted:

Fattdex said:
Logic'd!That's highly conditional though. I guess it future proofs any other arrest rule.
This was actually do to the translation of the old Gangs of Mega City 1 arrest rules. They were a little more in depth yet simple, and happened when a model is removed due to injury from the table. So heroes and judges could be arrested, with the amount of time they serve (games missed) dependant on the Rep score.
PM if you wanna see the idea.

-Slippery needs to be reworded since the advanced arrest rules were not used, (ie heroes cannot be arrested so no need to mention any rules for that.)

Greg Smith said:
If a figure has +6 mutant armour and pad armour (+4), does this equate to +7 armour?

The mutant rules as written. You use one or the other. The bonus to using the mutation armor is you get a +1 armor bonus when wearing other armor. If you use the regular armor, you use only the armor stat and that is it, no bonus.
Psi powers state they add their bonus to the Armor effectivley raising it by that much.

What do you mean by "the armor mutation being so poor?"

The armour mutations for the Mercenary Mutant is +3 at it's highest (which was why a lot of people assumed it combined with it's +5 armour, as otherwise it would make no sense to use it at all!)

Having a Satellat automatically count as destroyed when killed seems a little harsh given they are pretty expensive (I can buy a Judge instead if I just pay three times as much, and the judge is a lot better, especially considering how it won't just disappear on a bad dodge roll), but it leaves me to wonder. What happens to a Satellat if it's owner is removed as a casualty, and what happens if the owner runs away? Does the Satellat give XP to someone that kills it (despite being equipment), and does it give the xp for any kills it does to it's owner?

With the way Animate Dead is written, does that mean that a Zombie Mistress can insta-kill someones model by animating them as a Zombie, even before they get a chance to roll on the injury table? It seems a little harsh (Though I suppose it might be incentive to not go too close to the Zombie Mistress)

Does the equipment from a Ruined Block count toward a models maximum credits allowance (despite being free)? If so, what use is it for models with no options for such objects? Also, does "equipment" mean anything (guns, armour, etc) or just misc stuff like medkits?

2 questions:

The Mechanismo have decent melee stats but no melee weapons, so do their fists count as weak as per normal? Seems a bit odd for a big robot to have its fists counted as this.

The sky surfer 'stunt' talent states that no weapon with a range less than 40 can attack the model doing it. Given that the downside of failing only affects will to fight rolls for that turn, this could be abused to keep a model alive until the turn limit runs out. Maybe the immunity to attack should only be if the stunt is a success? If it fails, the surfers pulls out and returns to the standard flight height and is in normal range for enemy attacks.

The 'stunt' could also be used by:
1st action move 20 to objective table edge
2nd action 'stunt' making itself immune to atttack.

Another thought on 'stunt'

1st action - shoot action
2nd 'stunt' making self safe from retaliation.

If the stunt was a 2x special action it would stop some of this.

richardcarr2 said:
If the stunt was a 2x special action it would stop some of this.

I agree it probably would stop most abuse.
Might also need to throw in extra like, cannot perform stunt while holding an objective.

cfirpi said:
Greg Smith said:

The mutant rules as written. You use one or the other. The bonus to using the mutation armor is you get a +1 armor bonus when wearing other armor.

So by having +6 mutant armour and 5 points leather, armour can be +7. With two psi talents, it can go up to +11. Nice!

Greg Smith said:
So by having +6 mutant armour and 5 points leather, armour can be +7. With two psi talents, it can go up to +11. Nice!

I have one word for you sir... MUNCHKIN!

LOL

In all honesty it does sound like a pretty good combo.

There's a turn limit?

And since we're talking basic rules anyway, what are the dimensions of a standard JDMG board? The deployment zone measurements and the actual pictures seem slightly conflicting or at the very least confusing at times

Back