Need help from Eternal Champion fans

Mage

Mongoose
I want to get more of michales moorocks books to read, but am having a tough time finding them on ebay, hughes and hughes, and amazon.

Could someone list the titles of books concerning the following, books which are currently in print and thus easy to find:

A complete Elric set of stories
A complete Hawkmoon set of stories
A complete Corum set of stories
A complete Jerry Cornelius set of storeis.

Thanks in advance!

Yep. What Quire said.

MM's written more than 70 or 80 books - listing 'em all would take time (and most of them figure into the Eternal Champion sequence somehow)...

Search around for the White Wolf or Masterworks anthologies. Good way
to get Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum in 6 books total or so. Jerry Cornelius
is spread out a bit more.

Also, Del Rey is going to give the entire Elric saga the same treatment
REH's Conan, Kull, Soloman Kane, and Bran Mak Mor was given. Supposedly
they will include the Dreamthief's daughter trilogy, and perhaps text only
The Making of the Sorceror comics, and some rare and previously unpublished
fragments and short tales.

-V

Vagabond said:
Search around for the White Wolf or Masterworks anthologies. Good way
to get Elric, Hawkmoon, and Corum in 6 books total or so. Jerry Cornelius
is spread out a bit more.

Also, Del Rey is going to give the entire Elric saga the same treatment
REH's Conan, Kull, Soloman Kane, and Bran Mak Mor was given. Supposedly
they will include the Dreamthief's daughter trilogy, and perhaps text only
The Making of the Sorceror comics, and some rare and previously unpublished
fragments and short tales.

-V

Yeah, I would agree with the above...if you have to have them now, then look for the omnibus editions listed above. So far I've been able to snag both collected White Wolf Elric books(Elric of Melnibone & Song of the Black Sword) + The Elric Saga III(Revenge of the Rose & Fortress of the Pearl) and the three Dreamthief novels for next to nothing.

I also got a copy of all the Corum stories( White Wolf omnibus books) and am now probably going to grab the Hawkmoon collected stories from White Wolf. Never been a big fan of Hawkmoon, but I got the game from Mongoose for the Traveling the Multiverse type campigns. Now Corum...yeah that's what I'm waiting for from Mongoose.

Never read corum but hope to soon. I got the fantasy master works from hawkmoon but it only covers the events up to Sword of the dawn, there is nothing on the Castle Brass stuff, just the history of the runestaff. Ill try to get my hands on the del ray stuff. Yay Corum.

Mage,
For a listing and (one) recceomdender reading order, try: http://www.amazon.com/Moorcocks-Eternal-Champion-Recommended-Order/lm/1FVXIG8SO6V0N

Ominbus edtions can be cheaper, and it often pays to dig up the most recent printing you can find, as Moorcock has changed some stories later on to fit them into the timeline. For example, One of the Elrric stories that has Smiogan NBaldhead in it orginally was written with Moonglum, but was changed when Moorcock decided to place the story at a time before Elric met Moonglum.

Ah. Confusing. It wouldnt have been the sacking of Immryr would it? Or was it when they first met.

Mage said:
Ah. Confusing. It wouldnt have been the sacking of Immryr would it? Or was it when they first met.

No, it's another story.

Moonglum and Elric meet after the fall of Imrryr as Elric, guilt-ridden, goes deep into the Silent Lands with Sharilla, a Myrrhn woman, to seek answers to his plight. Smiorgan is met before the sack when Elric is trapped in Saxif D'aan's realm, at the edge of the Young Kingdoms.

But yes, it is confusing! The saga sprawls all over the place but is somehow more enjoyable for its organic, disparate nature.

Easiest way is to buy from ebay, as you can pick up the old paperbacks quite easily.

There was a omnibus 'Chronicles of Corum' paperback that had the second set of three stories in it

These books go in and out of print with alarming regularity.

For "core works", the "Fantasy Masterworks" collection is probably the best place to look right now.

Here's some amazon.co.uk links.

Elric (Stealer of Souls & Stormbringer): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elric-Stealer-Stormbringer-Millennium-Masterworks/dp/1857987438/ref=sr_1_3/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194217996&sr=1-3

Hawkmoon (Runestaff):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Runestaff-Amulet-Fantasy-Masterworks/dp/0575074698/ref=sr_1_7/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194217996&sr=1-7

Cornelius (Final Program/Cure for Cancer/English Assassin/Condition of Muzak):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cornelius-Quartet-Assassin-Condition-Programme/dp/1568581831/ref=sr_1_17/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194218047&sr=1-17

Corum (Scarlet Robe):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corum-Prince-Scarlet-Michael-Moorcock/dp/0575073667/ref=sr_1_26/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194218071&sr=1-26

Hawkmoon (Castle Brass):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronicles-Castle-Brass-Tanelorn-Garathorm/dp/0586065954/ref=sr_1_39/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194218291&sr=1-39

Von Bek (Not a published setting - hint hint, Mongoose - but vastly superior IMO):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Von-Bek-Warhound-Pleasure-Sagittarius/dp/1857984366/ref=pd_sim_b_shvl_title_5/202-3781229-4751034?ie=UTF8&qid=1194218071&sr=1-26

I haven't found the second Corum cycle at a reasonable price, which is a pity as again it's vastly superior. Second hand bookshop time for you, I'm afraid.

Mage said:

Nah. It was the was one of the stories that take place prior to the sacking of Immyr. That is why it was changed. I think it was either the story that takes place in Nadsokor, or the one with Duke Astran in Rhy-Ken-Aa. Well, to be more accurate the story orginally took place after the sacking of Immyr (I believe that was the first Elric story written), but was later adjusted to occur eariler.

Orignally, the Elric stories were published in SF/Fantany pulp-style magazines. That's why so many of the stories are collected works of short stories rather than full length novels. It is also one of the major reasons for the change is style and tone. Not only were the old stories written a long time ago when Michael was a differernt person, and the world a differernt place, but the needs of writing entertaining fiction for a magianze are quite differernt from those of writing a novel. You have to fit everything in under a certain word count.

When the SF mags died out, and the stories collected into book form, Moorcock made several revisions and tried to organize everything into some sort of order. If you buy used, you can run across some pre-revision printings of stuff, and occasionally be surprised.

This was partly because Moorcock killed off Elric and ended the saga fairly early (somewhere between a dozen or two short stories), and when he wanted to go back to write new Elric stories he had to find places to fit the new stories in, since the way the saga ends makes continuing the character impossible (or at least so cheap as to ruin the saga).

So the series is so confusing mostly becuase it wasn't indented to be one. Moorcock pretty much broke from every standard of Franasy stories at the time (skinny wizard king who loses everything instead of big brawny warior who fights evil wizards to become a King). He didn't realize just how much of an impact Elric made on the genre, or he probably wouldn't have ended the saga the way he did. But then, IMO, those end stories are the best ones of the Saga.

Back