Narrative Ground Combat?

SableWyvern

Mongoose
Has anyone had a stab at converting the narrative combat rules in Pirate Isles to something that can be used on land? Or I am going to have to do that myself, when I get around to it?

msprange said:
Free Companies, due this month, will help you out here very well!

LOL - my FLGS still doesn't have Thunder River! though at the rate my game is going, it may well be available before I need it!

Seriously though, mongoose has done an excellent job IMO of publishing and sticking to release dates. Kudos guys! I just can't wait to buy more product!

SableWyvern said:
Has anyone had a stab at converting the narrative combat rules in Pirate Isles to something that can be used on land? Or I am going to have to do that myself, when I get around to it?

Oh...you could do that. I can think of five possible designs (two for heroic battle, two for command level battle and one for general overland conflict) sort of off the top of my head. 'Off the top of my head' being a bit of a lie: I wrote both books and the systems behind them.

How would you go about it?

Shannon
Current Status: Pondering a sleeping son

MightyCthulhu said:
msprange said:
Free Companies, due this month, will help you out here very well!

LOL - my FLGS still doesn't have Thunder River! though at the rate my game is going, it may well be available before I need it!

Seriously though, mongoose has done an excellent job IMO of publishing and sticking to release dates. Kudos guys! I just can't wait to buy more product!

Yeah, me either. My guess it's it's solely because I'm in the states. Getting things to distributors overseas is a pain in the keester. I'm a big Doctor Who fan and usually have to wait a month to see British releases hit American stores.

Saw that there was a small cover picture, and a long description on Free Companies.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpg/detail.php?qsID=539&qsSeries=Conan

skalvar said:
SableWyvern said:

Oh...you could do that. I can think of five possible designs (two for heroic battle, two for command level battle and one for general overland conflict) sort of off the top of my head. 'Off the top of my head' being a bit of a lie: I wrote both books and the systems behind them.

How would you go about it?

Shannon
Current Status: Pondering a sleeping son

I hadn't put a great deal of thought into it yet. My basic idea was to stick pretty closely to the Pirate Isles system, probably breaking the greater battle into several smaller conflicts for bigger engagements. Most of the character manoeuvres available for affecting friendly or enemy troops in this case would probably be limited to affecting one of these sub-conflict.

If I was particularly motivated, I would probably also include rules for deploying and calling back individual formations into the fray, and a system for determining the overall flow of the battle based on sub-unit results. Perhaps also a pre-deployment system that determined the tactical value to each side of the ground being fought on.

I think that a greater emphasis on general melee, rather than a lot of standing around firing bows or repeated charges for softening up, would suit the genre.

And all that is off the top of my head.

I look forward to seeing what you've done. :D

Back