Naming Earth Alliance ships.

Stonehorse

Mongoose
I know that in Babylon 5 the Earth Alliance ships had names of gods and famous characters from Earth history. Now I’m thinking of giving my ships female names, as it’s an old tradition to name ships with female names..
When choosing these names I’m going for names that sound elegant and powerful, like Victoria, Amelia, Helena, Elizabeth (also the name of my Fiancée, so I have no choice in that one!) etc.

Just wondering what other Earth Alliance players have named their ships and what they think to this idea

Independance, Valley Forge, Redoubt, St Petersberg, Great Britain, Birmingham, Newcastle, York, Relentless, Belfast, Enterprise, Hood, Eskimo, Arc Royal, Moscow, Missouri, New Jersey, Apollo, Perseus, Andromeda, Paul Revere, in fact just look in a history/Greek Legends/Geography book for a name. EA ships, are well easy to name ;)

Mostly names from Greek\Roman mythology. Some of my Hyperions have American Civil War battles for names (like the Lexington and Clarkston in the series) and my Novas have the names of great military leaders (like the Patton and Schwartzkopf from the show)

Given that my current campaign is set during the Earth/Minbari War, you can probably guess that I'm rapidly running out of EA ship names (Last battle was 5-pt Battle, 2 Sharlins and a Morshin vs. a dozen EA cruisers. No survivors.)

If and when I get an EA fleet I plan to name them after famous ships of the Royal Navy, with the odd salute to other sci-fi shows/films/books in there.

So, names like EAS Vanguard, EAS Hood, EAS Ark Royal, EAS Rodney from the Royal Navy and names like EAS Thunder-Child and EAS Fearless from other universes.

Captain David the Denied said:
EAS Rodney
What about EAS Del Boy, and EAS Uncle Albert? :lol:
Of course then our mate Adam will have to have Centauri Royal Cruiser Marlene...

Reaverman forgot to mention the best ship name of all time... the Olympus Gunship that always gets a kill... EA Baracus!

Dread Pirate Burger said:
Reaverman forgot to mention the best ship name of all time... the Olympus Gunship that always gets a kill... EA Baracus!

I pitty the fool that messes with the EA B.A. Baracus!

Although it should move a little bit slower due to all the Bling hanging off the ship. :wink:

Dave

Davesaint said:

Although it should move a little bit slower due to all the Bling hanging off the ship. :wink:

Dave

"ain't going through no jump gate!"

Yellow Beard hiffano said:
Davesaint said:

Dave

"ain't going through no jump gate!"
OK, no jump gates today. Here's your glass of milk......

EAS Caliburn (King Arthurs Sword)
EAS Pale Horse "And there apeared before me, a Pale Horse, its rider was death, and hell followed it."

Or my favorite, Pirate ship names!
EAS Royal Fortune
EAS Queen Anne's Revenge
and so forth

i beg to differ:

The name of Arthur's sword in Geoffrey of Monmouth. Later modified by the romancers into Excalibur. Geoffrey says the sword was forged in the Isle of Avalon, here meaning most decidedly a mystic place in the Otherworld rather than Glastonbury. In Geoffrey, Arthur wields Caliburn when he defeats the Saxons at Bath, in single combat with Roman governor Frollo outside Paris, and in his battle with the Roman army commanded by Lucius. The sight of Caliburn spurred the troops onward and the enemy's armor gave them no protection from its power.

The name was probably suggested by the Latin word, chalybs, which meant "steel" and could be used metaphorically for a sword. There may also be a trace of the Welsh name given to Arthur's sword in Culhwch and Olwen - Caledfwlch, which also resembles Caladbolg, the famous sword of Irish legend.

- from the encyclo mythica

Or if you like the wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur

I think they already named a ship in the B5 universe after Arthur's sword. :) Of course ship names get reused frequently and no-one is going to tell you that you can't call a ship Caliburn.

My Olympus are named after WWII RAF planes: Spitfire, lancaster, Hurricane, Beaufighter. My Nova is named Dowding after Air Marshal Sir Hugh Dowding.

My Hermes are named for dwarf planets: Pluto, Charon, Ceres, Xena. Which also fit in with the greek myth convention.

And my Omega is named Nimrod (for the X-men villain, I think :wink: ).

That ship rocked, on average its Beam laser kicked out 11-13 hits. A definite Ball breaker ;)

Back