Names for Characters from Other Classes

Is there a resource anywhere for naming characters from the other available classes? I understand that the Kai Lord naming system is from some of the later books, but having even example names culled from the books for each of the cultures/groups that comprise the other classes would be a godsend.

Otherwise I'm going to need to do something like assign them a real-world proxy and use some of my other naming resources to bridge the gap.

If I were to do that, what cultures would you say roughly map to each of the classes?

Ok, so there's not much out there I guess.

Let me give it a swing, based on some searches (pretty much all of the Sommerlund names are from this thread).

Sommerlund Origin
Raunor
Ulnar
Pelathar
Vonotar
Rhygar
Loi-Kymar
Remir
Fenor
Banedon
Madelon
Oren
Ronan
Kelman
Parsion
Irian
Dyce
Kantar
Feredan
Kilvomir
Anatir
Mesric
Valder
Somonir
Valdelon
Anirian
Pergos
Otann
Drenec
Korelian
Emelas
Anter
Jarvim
Lerdanec
Maviar
Verilon
Menedon

Dwarven of Bor Origin
Fingore
Borik
Rogoban
Arko
Jorek
Bregor
Erok
Korik
Frem
Fergo
Obbar
Folger

Vassagonia Origin
Liharat
Bourjali
Halarsa
Alkemon
Bekir
Dekoba
Elberid
Ezked
Jesabi
Maarivak
Nassaar / Nazar
Nozer
Obnassar
Rezanius
Shafnir
Tarkum
Varzum
Zedinn
Zeki

Stornlands Origin
Vynar Jupe

Shadakine Origin
Shuval

Hrmm... skimpy.

I may end up just providing some examples from cultures that I feel have similar feels or with naming conventions that sound similar. I really only need a dozen or so for each sex + class combo (though this is helped by some being male or female limited).

So I found this adaptation of the setting to the Saga system from 2010, where the author went about grouping the cultures of the setting by their language. In doing so he gave what he felt was a rough estimate of their equivalent real world culture, which may be a decent guidepost even if it doesn't match up exactly.

I'll list them by language grouping as he did, noting that he's done a bit of adapting to make things fit his purposes.

They added a Cat-Person empire of some sort in the Sadi Desert and Eastern Shadaki, and (interestingly, I thought, but still not as presented) had the southern Shadaki area be very feudal Korea.

They also made Kalte very Medieval Scandinavia and northern Russia, but to me it feels far more Arctic North America and maybe northern Russia. Am I wrong there?

Having noticed those changes, take all of this with a big grain of salt.

Lenting Lands - British Isles of the Middle Ages (Perhaps slightly different eras and regions, as I sense Frankish and Roman influences in some of the names)
Casiorn
Delden
Durenor
Halia
Ilion
Kaum
Lakuri Isles
Lyris
Magador
Maakenmire
Salony
Sommerlund
Palmyrion
Talestria
The Wildlands

Wassr Lands - Medieval Middle East
al-Anari
Cloesia
Kakush
Vassagonistan

K'jebolo Lands - Pre-Colonial Nations of Arboreal Africa
Dessi
Firalombe
Nwakejoto

Slovic Lands - Eastern European Nations of the Middle Ages
Bautar
Chamania
Eldenora
Karonskaya
Labroshtan
Rezovia
Ruestovna Forest
Slovia

Bro'ixt Lands - Funnily, there's no recommendation here.
Bor
Danarg Steppes
Eru-tzef
Telim Churtz

Var-il'tchutlan Lands - No recommendation, but it seems very Mexica/Aztec Empire-esque.
Maxiptulachu Delta

Zanupeshtur Lands - Ancient Mesopotamia
Ghatanisham
Mesoturga
Nyrasu
Nyvoz
Zaldirensis
Zig-es

shu-Zabekh Lands - Land of Tolkien-esque evil, as the language is similar to the Black Tongue
gro-Blekta
tada-Tizagaza
mak-Giaktugur

Cincorix Lands - Imperial Rome and its protectorates notably Greece and North/Saharan Africa
Lencia
Bodenicum
Cincoria
Starnicos
Kastrias
Klarnos
Lunarlia
Telchos

Dhujeb Lands - Mongolian, Kazakh, and Armenian
Bhanar
Dhujazar (Mongols in particular)
Keldazhan
Mhytan
Vaduzhan

O-yengo - Feudal Japan and Khan China
Chuboya
Ryukusa
Siyen

Personally, I assume following cultures:

Ulnarian Cultures (Sommerlund, Durenor)
Saxon influenced. Physically they resemble Scandinavian cultures, but there is little evidence of that in the names. There are also some celtic influences (Lachlan, Killean, Ronan) among some characters. Also, Durenese names tend to be fancier sounding (Ganon, Dorier, Madim, Viveka) reflecting the slightly more noble people, with possible french influences.

Male first names: Daron, Tym, Lorin, Aran, Jac, Lon, Oren, Tor, Vea, Baleon, Banedon, Ronan, Parsion, Ganon, Halvorc, Dorier, Madim, Lachlan, Killean, Remir, Paoll
Female first names: Thelda, Petrea, Vinas, Viveka, Madelon
Surnames: Faldon, Hobar, Rolny, Ladnor, Taynor, Calder, Galt, Medar, Kelman, Rhygar, Rendalim, Raker, Dryan

Vassa Cultures (Vassagonia, Anari, Shadaki etc)
Clearly middle eastern influences.

Male first names: Barraka, Maouk, Tipasa, Jhioua, Yranai, Khazullo, Rhous, Temujun, Dar-Isun
Female first names: Oriah, Jhani
Surnames: Moudalla, Dabudei, Guldarra. Surnames appear to be rare in Vassa lands. Often a family name is replaced by a nick name (as in Tipasa the Wanderer, Shasarak the Wytch-King)

To be continued...

Back