Mysteries of the Ancients -- GMs Thread

shammond42

Banded Mongoose
The jewel the Travellers discover in the opening of Mysteries is described as:

The jewel is composed of a variety of exotic materials in a matrix of carbon.

I'm pretty sure that means it is a diamond with ancient technology embedded in it. That's pretty cool, but I'm not sure how many people will pick up on it.

A carbon matrix could also mean it is graphene or fullerene based.

I thought of that, but it is a jewel so diamond seems more likely.

Could a fullerene gemstone even be a thing? I haven't thought about Bucky balls for a long time.

There's definitely weird "gemstone" materials in Charted Space. In one of the T4 adventures, it talks about a type of gem that can't be synthesized or even properly photographed/imaged. There's only a dozen of them known and they are outrageously valuable. (The adventure is about finding a rumored 13th such stone).

I have 2 questions:
1. It says that G482 can recover 1D of energy per hit point sacrificed but then the example suggests it is 2D. Which is correct?
2. Omicron plays a significant part in MOTA but is absent from SOTA which is understandable given when both books were written but it makes Gand Holcess' appearance in SOTA look a bit disjointed if there isn't at least some connection. What do others think?

Wrath explains what Omicron is up to during SOTA. The Imperial agents bothering the PCs are intended to be a different agency that's taking action because Omicron isn't around to preempt them. But there's no major plot holes created by making them Omicron, except that they should possibly know more about the PCs than SOTA assumes, if they have access to Omicron's records of the PCs from MOTA.

A further question about G482 as I am about to run the players' first encounter with it and I want to get it right. I get that Solomani are immune to the 'invisibility' effect but what about a Sword Worlder? As far as I am aware, they were also not uplifted and so should not be affected.

Also, the party has just found Nanto's corpse - it was an Aslan pc that pointed it out. However, would those affected forget that the corpse is there given that they have no awareness yet of G482? I'm thinking not.

I think that it does not make sense for someone to be affected by the creature's nature if they haven't seen the creature to have the genetic programming triggered. But, ultimately, it is a woo-woo effect, so it can work in whatever way makes sense to you. The correct answer is 'whichever way makes the story better for your group'.

Sworld Worlders are predominately Solomani in origin, so you can rule them immune if you wish, especially if the character has made a big deal about being "pure sword worlder" or something.

There are a few other "pure" Solomani around, like the world of Neumann in the Reaches and the people of the Islands' Subsectors. But, just like most "Vilani" are not pureblooded any more, neither are most "Solomani" where it isn't specifically called out (as with the three examples given above).

I think that it does not make sense for someone to be affected by the creature's nature if they haven't seen the creature to have the genetic programming triggered. But, ultimately, it is a woo-woo effect, so it can work in whatever way makes sense to you. The correct answer is 'whichever way makes the story better for your group'.

Sworld Worlders are predominately Solomani in origin, so you can rule them immune if you wish, especially if the character has made a big deal about being "pure sword worlder" or something.

There are a few other "pure" Solomani around, like the world of Neumann in the Reaches and the people of the Islands' Subsectors. But, just like most "Vilani" are not pureblooded any more, neither are most "Solomani" where it isn't specifically called out (as with the three examples given above).
Thanks. The party has two Aslan, one Swordie, a Zhodani and two Vilani so 3 are affected/ 3 not. Fun times!
Your suggestion for how the genetic programming kicks in is a good one. Makes sense. Appreciate that as a Referee I can fudge it however I like but I want to try and keep some internal logic going.

Back