MRQII Errata

Kuhtur Dibnur said:
Is the maximum for INT and SIZ right? In the previous edition, the maximum for any stat is the maximum roll + any additional additions + the total number of dice used to roll. As such, humans should have a maximum of 20 for INT and SIZ instead of 21 (2d6+6 = 18, add the 2 for the dice = 20).
The maximum in the previous edition was:
"The maximum a human character can increase a Characteristic
to is 21. For non-humans, the maximum for a Characteristic
is equal to the maximum possible starting score for
the Characteristic plus three."

Despite being Gregged in the new edition, the Trade, Undead and Dragon runes appear in the header and footer of every page of the rulebook and in the shiny gold cover and RQII cover symbol. Poor communication with the art department?

The decision to discontinue the Dragon rune seems very strange; how is EWF theology and magic supposed to work without it?

The decision to discontinue the Dragon rune seems very strange; how is EWF theology and magic supposed to work without it?

Draconic magic is a mystical path and so is not necessarily reliant on runes to work. However the True Dragon cults have access to the other runes and, as Gran Orco points out, the Dragonewt rune is the important one.

gran_orco said:
The maximum in the previous edition was:
"The maximum a human character can increase a Characteristic
to is 21. For non-humans, the maximum for a Characteristic
is equal to the maximum possible starting score for
the Characteristic plus three."
What about in the Games Master's Handbook where it says all the stuff I said before?

gran_orco said:
With dragonnewt rune. Dragon rune is redundant.
This seems backwards. I hope you won't take me pointing it out amiss, but the EWF is not aspiring to transform its territory into a giant Dragonnewt through everyone realising their inner Dragonnewt, including former barbarians now converted to the worship of Orlanth Dragonnewtfriend. Conversely, a Dragonnewt can be summed up by the combination of Dragon and Man runes.

Similarly, if Sorcery, which has always been abstract and mystical, is now linked to runes, the idea of another school of magic which doesn't draw on runes seems to break the newly established consistency (which I applaud, btw).

Dropping Dragon also makes the rules-set less applicable to fantasy worlds with dragons but not dragonnewts; that is, most of them, including Elric and Slaine IIRC.

Perhaps if someone could explain the reasoning behind the decision to drop various runes? I can see the redundancy of Shadow, but others not so much. Sorry to carry on, but it just seems rather arbitrary and pointless (and as the various errata and artworks show, like something of a last minute decision).

This seems backwards. I hope you won't take me pointing it out amiss, but the EWF is not aspiring to transform its territory into a giant Dragonnewt through everyone realising their inner Dragonnewt, including former barbarians now converted to the worship of Orlanth Dragonnewtfriend. Conversely, a Dragonnewt can be summed up by the combination of Dragon and Man runes.

Pause a moment to think about what the EWF are really trying to do... pause and consider what exists in Glorantha. Dragons exist only through the dreams of the sleeping True Dragons. Their presence is suspected but shadowy. Dragonewts, however, are present; hence their Rune.

The Great Dragon Project does not need a Dragon Rune. What the EWF is doing is trying to create the Dragon Rune. Nothing more or less...

Similarly, if Sorcery, which has always been abstract and mystical, is now linked to runes, the idea of another school of magic which doesn't draw on runes seems to break the newly established consistency (which I applaud, btw).

Draconic magic is more founded on denial than anything else. Its cults are still linked to the runes through a variety of different mechanisms, but the EWF's ultimate goal is to realise the Cosmic Dragon: to remake infinity. To them all the other runes are part of the Dragon Rune, or OUROBOROS.

Dropping Dragon also makes the rules-set less applicable to fantasy worlds with dragons but not dragonnewts; that is, most of them, including Elric and Slaine IIRC.

The runes as Glorantha uses them as certainly redundant as far as Elric is concerned, and probably Slaine. There's never been a dragon rune for Elric (or in any other Glorantha materials).

Perhaps if someone could explain the reasoning behind the decision to drop various runes? I can see the redundancy of Shadow, but others not so much. Sorry to carry on, but it just seems rather arbitrary and pointless (and as the various errata and artworks show, like something of a last minute decision).

I hope I have. We went back to the original RQ runes set, which has never included a Dragon Rune (or a Metal Rune, or Shadow Rune, and so on). The additional ones crept into MRQ for good reasons, and we've dropped them now with equally good reasons. But these weren't last minute decisions.

But, as ever, if your game wants or needs a Dragon Rune, then make one up! There's nothing stopping you from doing so... and they are, essentially, abstract concepts. :)

Loz said:
Pause a moment to think about what the EWF are really trying to do... pause and consider what exists in Glorantha. Dragons exist only through the dreams of the sleeping True Dragons. Their presence is suspected but shadowy. Dragonewts, however, are present; hence their Rune.

I'd have said that the True Dragons are a more likely manifestation of the Dragon Rune than "normal" or Dream Dragons. They are powerful enough (the equivalent of demigods or gods) to be able to wield the dragon rune innately.

Loz said:
The Great Dragon Project does not need a Dragon Rune. What the EWF is doing is trying to create the Dragon Rune. Nothing more or less...

That's interesting, in itself, but what about Kralorela? The Dragon Emperors pre-date the EWF by a long, long, way, and are said to be True Dragons?

Loz said:
I hope I have. We went back to the original RQ runes set, which has never included a Dragon Rune (or a Metal Rune, or Shadow Rune, and so on). The additional ones crept into MRQ for good reasons, and we've dropped them now with equally good reasons. But these weren't last minute decisions.

Well, Dragon and Shadow pre-exist Mongoose RQ as they were first included as runes in RQ3 (possibly in Gods of Glorantha). Sure, they are different to the original RQ2 runes, but they do make sense in many ways.

I like the idea of different runes relating to different aspects of a rune's power. So, runes such as Dust, Light, Heat, Shadow, Cold and even the hated Ice rune make perfect sense to me.

On page 35, under the heading "using non-combat skilla in combat" there is mentioned a "Skill Use Combat Action, described on page 83". However, on p83/84 is nothing to be found about this special CA.

New to the boards and Runequest II. I've been reading my shiny, new book, and I think I found some things that may need errata and/or clarification:

- On page 11, under Strike Rank/Edric's Saga, it says that he inherited his grandfather's leather jerkin, which gives 2 AP to the chest and abdomen, resulting in a -1 Strike Rank penalty. That is all good, although jerkin is not a choice on the Armor Table on page 65 (perhaps it can be added to the hauberk entry). Also, it should specify hard leather, although that is easily inferred.

- On page 28 (the front of Edric's completed character sheet), it just lists him as wearing leather. It should probably specify hard leather (again, easily inferred). Also, now it appears that the armor covers every hit location, which contradicts "Edric's Saga" on page 11. But, if his armor DOES cover every hit location, that would be 14 AP, which would result in a -3 Armor Penalty rather than the -2 that is listed.

- And how did he inherit the armor, anyways? Is that a GM fiat sort of thing? I think it's perhaps just there to facilitate the Strike Rank armor penalty example, right?

Let me know if I misread or misunderstood something. Looks like a fun game, though.

On page 40, the skill Resilience is described, followed by an Edric's Saga that uses Persistence. It looks like maybe it just didn't fit under Persistence in the book. It's confusing that Resilience is described as resisting poisons and such, but then a modifier is simply applied to Persistence rather than some sort of Resilience roll to see if the alcohol affects him.

The last sentence of the first paragraph of Resilience also ends with a comma and a period. Can't tell if the comma is there in error or if perhaps something got left out of the sentence.

Page 37, under Evade, the phrase in parentheses in the first sentence of the second paragraph should read "that is the skill of its setter" rather than "that it the skill of its setter."

On page 35, Athletics is described as being useful for running. How so? There are no rules for how Althletics actually affects running, as far as I can tell.

Slurm said:
On page 35, Athletics is described as being useful for running. How so? There are no rules for how Althletics actually affects running, as far as I can tell.

Running is Heavy Activity, which is resisted by Athletics, see page 61. Also chases between two runners are easily modeled by opposed Athletics test.

As discussed on another thread some clarity is needed about SIZ.

On page 36, the Brawn skill states that "As a mass equivalent, 1 point of SIZ equals, roughly, 5 kilograms.". This should have the qualifier for objects / creatures of SIZ 15 or less.

We need a SIZ / Weight chart to support the creature descriptions in Chapter 13. Will one be forthcoming in Monster Coliseum? Using the old GW RuneQuest (3rd edition) SIZ chart then the average SIZ of the horse on page 175 is too small.

Am I right in thinking 'all' the above errata has not yet been incorporated into the current errata pdf?

And is there any news on a 2nd dead tree reprint with (hopefully) the updated errata compiled therein?

Thanks

On page 38, the First Aid skill states that "If being used to treat an Injured location (see the First Aid Actions table), then 1D3+1 Hit Points are restored to the hurt location." But then, the First Aid Actions table states that it only heals 1D3 Hit Points. Which one is right?

On page 57, under Falls, it states for example "A creature of SIZ 1 or less treats distance fallen as 10 meters less." This means that the smaller the character is the less he or she takes damage? So a character of SIZ 1 could fall 11 meters without taking any damage? Or did I misundenstand something here?

Also, should the Falling Distance table say "11m to 15m" instead of "10 to 15m"? And on the next page (p58) under Falling Objects, the example states "If said anvil falls from a height of 10 meters, it would impart an additional 3D6 damage." I guess the additional damage should be 2D6 based on the Falling Distance table.

On page 172, elf's longbow does 2D8 damage. I guess it should be 1D8.

Here's a minor one:

Hatchet is listed as having 3 AP on the Melee table but 4 AP on the Missle Table. Presumably these are the same weapon (A backup side arm that can also be thrown).

Back