MRQII Errata

The Errata doesn't correct the error in the damage quoted for the Wolf.

Shall we start an Errata Errata thread :D

I'm not sure if this is errata or not but here goes:

On page 149 (last paragraph) we have guidance that cults only give 4 or 5 Divine Magic Spells. Orlanth the Dragon on page 152 has Blessing (Cult Skills), Consecrate, Lightening Strike.

Yet on page 117 we have the example of Adric as a Orlanth the Dragon initiate picking up Dismiss Elemental, Mindlink, Soul Sight, and Channel Strength.

Back on page 149 again, and there is a general statement about a God giving spells realetd to their Rune.

All a bit vague. Any chance of some clarity?

Hi,

I must say that the Divine Cult of Orlanth the Dragon is surely an over simplification of the cult, based upon the mechanics available in the book, and will be developed further in the Cults book that is due out. I would hope that the Divine Spell lists will be expanded to represent the cults for example, I would expect to see magic like Issaries Spell Trading or Maran Gor's Shake Earth magic for example.

Simon

JonGeere said:
That's odd, I thought we'd included that error in the Errata.

Edric's example on p117 should have been revised to match the cult on p149. Unfortunately it slipped through the net.

In terms of numbers of spells, remember it says most cults give 4 or 5 spells. Not all of them will have so many or so few. Its a suggested guideline, which can vary according to your campaign setting. The forthcoming Gods of Glorantha will expand upon the subject, but only in terms of Gloranthan cults.

The spells cults give should indeed have some relevance to the Runes that god embodies, but since the spells themselves are specifically not tied to a rune, it gives a GM some leeway in designing their own cults and/or mythology.

Last thing to bare in mind, is that Orlanth the Dragon will be revised in the forthcoming Gods of Glorantha. Most of the Gloranthan cults have unique spells which weren't included in the core rules because of space constraints and keeping the rules fairly generic.

Cheers for the reply! I'll wait to what Gods of Glorantha brings.

Mongoose Pete said:
JonGeere said:
That's odd, I thought we'd included that error in the Errata.

Edric's example on p117 should have been revised to match the cult on p149. Unfortunately it slipped through the net.

In terms of numbers of spells, remember it says most cults give 4 or 5 spells. Not all of them will have so many or so few. Its a suggested guideline, which can vary according to your campaign setting. The forthcoming Gods of Glorantha will expand upon the subject, but only in terms of Gloranthan cults.

The spells cults give should indeed have some relevance to the Runes that god embodies, but since the spells themselves are specifically not tied to a rune, it gives a GM some leeway in designing their own cults and/or mythology.

Last thing to bare in mind, is that Orlanth the Dragon will be revised in the forthcoming Gods of Glorantha. Most of the Gloranthan cults have unique spells which weren't included in the core rules because of space constraints and keeping the rules fairly generic.

Continuing with Edric. In his character creation, the players could choose either nomad or barbarian background. According to the text they all choose barbarian. As a cultural weapon - Edric take sling. Sling is not a weapon under the barbarian cultural skills, though it is under nomad. Now, is Sling supposed to be a barbarian cultural weapon?

Leofwyn said:
Continuing with Edric. In his character creation, the players could choose either nomad or barbarian background. According to the text they all choose barbarian. As a cultural weapon - Edric take sling. Sling is not a weapon under the barbarian cultural skills, though it is under nomad. Now, is Sling supposed to be a barbarian cultural weapon?

Slings are pretty ubiquitous and the differences between nomad and barbarian boil down to the choice of lifestyle: static versus mobile. It can be either.

But its a good spot. I hadn't notice that little glitch!

I bought the RQII pdf (because I couldn't wait for French version :oops: ) and I love very much! Good work! :D

But I have a problem with the fall rule:

page 41-42 I read

Acrobatics (STR+DEX)
..... A successful Acrobatics test will also halve the damage suffered from falling....If falling, a critical success will reduce falling damage to a quarter.

but page 57
Falls
...As long as the character was not surprised, they may attempt an Acrobatics test to mitigate falling damage – a successful test allows the character to treat the fall as if it were two metres shorter than it actually is.

I think, like MRQI, that a successful Athletics test allows the character to treat the fall as if it were two metres shorter than it actually is.
and a successful Acrobatics test will halve the damage suffered from falling ???

Bard, Diplomat and Noble have "Dance" as a possible choice of advanced skills... but "Dance" is actually a common skill !

Denalor said:
Bard, Diplomat and Noble have "Dance" as a possible choice of advanced skills... but "Dance" is actually a common skill !
Yes, but Bards, Nobles and Diplomats know "Advanced Dance" - You don't want to compete against these people in a dance-off....

Does anyone know if the errata are included in the pdf that is available for download from DriveThruRPG? I'd like a pdf to go with my hard copy, but I'd prefer it to have the errata included.

If it's not included, do you know whether it will be in the future

Thanks.
Steve

On a similar vein to the above. It looks like RQII is selling well. If/when there is a second dead-tree printing, will that be corrected with the errata found so far?

Not sure if it's an error or a feature, but the mechanism for dedicated POW creates some strange side effects due to its reduction of magic points.
1) The rules allow Rune Priests to dedicate ALL their POW; which would mean they had no magic points, which would mean that they were unconscious.
2) Rune lords or rune priests with a lot of dedicated POW become very vulnerable in Spirit combat, for which they use MP as hit points; easy prey to disease or possession spirits. Similarly, a sorcerer could rapidly take down someone with high dedicated POW by Tapping their magic points or non-dedicated POW until they passed out for lack of MPs.
3) As Heroic abilities now need magic points, the people most likely to have heroic abilities (Rune lords and priests with high Pact/dedicated POW) are the least able to use them.

It would seem simplest to just restrict the amount of MPs that can be used to cast common magic rather than removing them entirely as the dedicated POW mechanic does. One would think that a God or Goddess would protect a dedicated follower from spiritual possession or Tapping and would want them to use their Heroic Abilities.

1) The rules allow Rune Priests to dedicate ALL their POW; which would mean they had no magic points, which would mean that they were unconscious.

This is true. However simply because you can dedicate all your POW doesn't mean that you should...

2) Rune lords or rune priests with a lot of dedicated POW become very vulnerable in Spirit combat, for which they use MP as hit points; easy prey to disease or possession spirits.

Yep, it does. But then, that's what the Spirit Block spell is for....

Similarly, a sorcerer could rapidly take down someone with high dedicated POW by Tapping their magic points or non-dedicated POW until they passed out for lack of MPs.

No, he couldn't. You can only Tap a characteristics down to a minimum of 1.

3) As Heroic abilities now need magic points, the people most likely to have heroic abilities (Rune lords and priests with high Pact/dedicated POW) are the least able to use them.

Again, true, but really it means that the hero must use his Heroic Abilities more judiciously.

It would seem simplest to just restrict the amount of MPs that can be used to cast common magic rather than removing them entirely as the dedicated POW mechanic does. One would think that a God or Goddess would protect a dedicated follower from spiritual possession or Tapping and would want them to use their Heroic Abilities

RQ offers several routes or magical power, each with their own nuances. You're quite right that some 'strange' effects might be created by the mechanisms, but there's usually a compensation elsewhere - and it does force people into thinking a little more carefully about the choices they make and the powers they pursue.

I think that it is obvious that a rune priest or high lord should have a battery of magic points enchantments, not only their own magic points.
For that is what I need "Arms & Equipment". I own the previous version of this book, and I hope that the new one won't be a mere copy of it with few additions.

Is the maximum for INT and SIZ right? In the previous edition, the maximum for any stat is the maximum roll + any additional additions + the total number of dice used to roll. As such, humans should have a maximum of 20 for INT and SIZ instead of 21 (2d6+6 = 18, add the 2 for the dice = 20).

Kuhtur Dibnur said:
Is the maximum for INT and SIZ right? In the previous edition, the maximum for any stat is the maximum roll + any additional additions + the total number of dice used to roll. As such, humans should have a maximum of 20 for INT and SIZ instead of 21 (2d6+6 = 18, add the 2 for the dice = 20).

You're quite right; but for consistency across all the stats, it makes sense to make the human range equivalent to 21 across all characteristics.

Kurgan84 asked a very good question a few posts earlier :

But I have a problem with the fall rule:

page 41-42 I read

Quote:
Acrobatics (STR+DEX)
..... A successful Acrobatics test will also halve the damage suffered from falling....If falling, a critical success will reduce falling damage to a quarter.

but page 57
Quote:
Falls
...As long as the character was not surprised, they may attempt an Acrobatics test to mitigate falling damage – a successful test allows the character to treat the fall as if it were two metres shorter than it actually is.

I think, like MRQI, that a successful Athletics test allows the character to treat the fall as if it were two metres shorter than it actually is.
and a successful Acrobatics test will halve the damage suffered from falling ???

Back