MRQ-review at rpg.net

Review synopsis quote: "A good introduction for d20 players or new players into the classic game of Runequest. However, previous fans may be disappointed."

Sounds about right to me. :)

I agree with the first review. Pretty much spot on. Especially how if you ar ef familar with previous edtions of RQ then MRQ will seem inferior.

The second one lists a few things that I would (and did) dispute. THat all the "key things" in RQ2 or RQ3 making it to MRQ being the most obvious point of contention.

Looks like we got reviews from both camps here. Good. :D

atgxtg said:
The second one lists a few things that I would (and did) dispute. THat all the "key things" in RQ2 or RQ3 making it to MRQ being the most obvious point of contention.

There are more changes in MRQ than any previous editions of RQ, as I said in the review, but what would you say are the key things that didn't make it? (I wrote review 2, so I'm curious.).

Simon Hibbs

atgxtg said:
I agree with the first review. Pretty much spot on. Especially how if you ar ef familar with previous edtions of RQ then MRQ will seem inferior.

Looks like we got reviews from both camps here. Good. :D

Of course, I am from austria a VERY neutral country. :)

simonh said:
atgxtg said:

There are more changes in MRQ than any previous editions of RQ, as I said in the review, but what would you say are the key things that didn't make it? (I wrote review 2, so I'm curious.).

Simon Hibbs

Just a list/answer-not an argument-I've done that elsewhere. This is a partial list of things that were in RQ (some exculsibve to RQ/RQ deriatives that are not in MRQ)

Resistance Table
Charactersitic Rolls (Statx5%, etc)
Special Success
Divine Magic (it was core to the RQ book but it isn't in the core RQ book)
Category Modifiers
Experience Checks
Strike Ranks (it might use the same term, but it is an intiative system)
Total Hit Points
Spriit/Battle Magic (the new rune magic isn't the same thing)
A true parry (you can't stop most weapons with most weapons anymore)

atgxtg said:
Just a list/answer-not an argument-I've done that elsewhere. This is a partial list of things that were in RQ (some exculsibve to RQ/RQ deriatives that are not in MRQ)

That's fair enough. I listed what I thought were the key things in the review, these I'd mostly have called implementation details but I think it's a matter of taste.

Of the ones you list, I think I miss the resistance table the most but if you use an opposed roll mechanic that works, it still IMHO achieves the same effect. The big change here is the de-emphasizing of stats and prominence of skills in this edition.

I can't realy comment on the changes to parry yet untill I've done some playtesting.

Simon Hibbs

simonh said:
Of the ones you list, I think I miss the resistance table the most but if you use an opposed roll mechanic that works, it still IMHO achieves the same effect. The big change here is the de-emphasizing of stats and prominence of skills in this edition.

I can't realy comment on the changes to parry yet untill I've done some playtesting.
Simon Hibbs

I agree, you can get the same effect iif you use an oppsed effect that works. But they didn't they releaced something that worked with something that doesn't. I don't mind chance when it is an improvement, but mostof the changes in MRQ don't improve the game, just add problems in the name of "Streamlining". For example, getting rid og the category modifers reintorduced the problem of big creatures automatically having high attack scores. We are back to Allosauruses starting off in the 70% range, becuase of the penomenially high STR.

As far as dephasising stats go, it was in a game thaat was already skill dominant. Now Stats are'nt very significant at all. INT and CHA are throwaways, with DEX in danager of becoming a throwaway.

As far as dephasising stats go, it was in a game thaat was already skill dominant. Now Stats are'nt very significant at all. INT and CHA are throwaways, with DEX in danager of becoming a throwaway.

mmm Dex..Combat Actions...Cough

atgxtg said:
INT and CHA are throwaways, with DEX in danager of becoming a throwaway.

What are you smoking? DEX is the most important combat stat. Combat Actions, Strike Ranks, and starting weapons skills all depend on DEX.

Back