Movement Problems

LokiOne

Mongoose
I have nearly completed my first run at GMing the Conan RPG, and I have had some troubles calculating Characters Movement rates. I don't have The Atlantean Edition (Wish I Did!), and I am confused as to how to allocate a Rate for starting players.
How does Speed relate to Movement? It seems to be poorly indicated in my 'Old' Conan RPG. I have not played D20 Core Set, D&D v3.5 before, and I believe that there are quite a few 'assumptions' that the reader has played other OGL games before ...
Also - I have tried to make a Table for Movement Rates Overland for Mounted (Horse) travel. To use the Speed rating for Horses in the Bestairy section left my players in 'Miles per Day' seemed to be wrong. Maybe the Speed listed is the base Speed per Movement multiple (x1,x2,x3,x4). I take it that a Horse would become fatigued quickly at rates higher than a Hustle (Trot).

Walk (x1) - Human : Walk (x1) - Horse
Hustle(x2) - Human : Trot (x2) - Horse
Run (x3) - Human : Gallop(x3) - Horse
Sprint(x4) - Human : Charge(x4)- Horse

This is how I see the relationship. So ... A common Riding horse moves at 50 feet per Move (round), and the 'average' human at 30 feet per Move. If an average human moves 24 miles per day, then what are the rates for the various Horses ??? Anyone?

I think that players should have the option to 'push' their mounts for an evasion or a pursuit, at the higher movement rates, with varying penalties and Fort. Saves for the mounts each time. Maybe try temporary Con and Str losses with a chance of death due to 'pushing it' (But not Hp damage).

Has Anyone made up a table for Overland Mounted Travel?

Thanks again for the useful contibutions from Everyone to the Forum.

I believe that all this information is at the start of AE. Which doesn't help you.

A Hustle is a x2 move, which anyone can make.

A Rum is a x3 move if encumbered or in Medium or Heavy Armour; x4 otherwise. Running can only occur in straight lines.

The quick reference sheets found here: http://www.mecha.com/~conkle/conan/index.html sumarise the effects of hustling or sprinting for extended periods of time.

A Charge is a double move (ie, hustle) carried out in combat and combined with an attack.

I would expect that daily movement rates would work out to be slower than tactical ones, factoring in rest breaks and fatigue.

Sable is correct. Also, a char can 'run' in combat as a fullround action to close with a faraway opponent. His movement during this 'run' action, thus, would be 90ft. (assuming a 30ft basic movement rate).

One important thing to remember is that movement in combat is not the same thing as movement out of combat. A character who moves his speed and attacks in the same round is moving at a "hustle" while he is moving not a "walk". A character who is "walking" is actually moving at about 1/2 his listed movement speed.

Here are the relevant passages from the SRD. They work just fine for Conan. (Warning: long copy/paste ahead!)
SRD said:
MOVEMENT
There are three movement scales, as follows.
• Tactical, for combat, measured in feet (or squares) per round.
• Local, for exploring an area, measured in feet per minute.
• Overland, for getting from place to place, measured in miles per hour or miles per day.

Modes of Movement: While moving at the different movement scales, creatures generally walk, hustle, or run.
Walk: A walk represents unhurried but purposeful movement at 3 miles per hour for an unencumbered human.
Hustle: A hustle is a jog at about 6 miles per hour for an unencumbered human. A character moving his or her speed twice in a single round, or moving that speed in the same round that he or she performs a standard action or another move action is hustling when he or she moves.
Run (x3): Moving three times speed is a running pace for a character in heavy armor. It represents about 9 miles per hour for a human in full plate.
Run (x4): Moving four times speed is a running pace for a character in light, medium, or no armor. It represents about 12 miles per hour for an unencumbered human, or 8 miles per hour for a human in chainmail.

TACTICAL MOVEMENT
Use tactical movement for combat. Characters generally don’t walk during combat-they hustle or run. A character who moves his or her speed and takes some action is hustling for about half the round and doing something else the other half.

Hampered Movement: Difficult terrain, obstacles, or poor visibility can hamper movement. When movement is hampered, each square moved into usually counts as two squares, effectively reducing the distance that a character can cover in a move.
If more than one condition applies, multiply together all additional costs that apply. (This is a specific exception to the normal rule for doubling)
In some situations, your movement may be so hampered that you don’t have sufficient speed even to move 5 feet (1 square). In such a case, you may use a full-round action to move 5 feet (1 square) in any direction, even diagonally. Even though this looks like a 5-foot step, it’s not, and thus it provokes attacks of opportunity normally. (You can’t take advantage of this rule to move through impassable terrain or to move when all movement is prohibited to you.)
You can’t run or charge through any square that would hamper your movement.

LOCAL MOVEMENT
Characters exploring an area use local movement, measured in feet per minute.
Walk: A character can walk without a problem on the local scale.
Hustle: A character can hustle without a problem on the local scale. See Overland Movement, below, for movement measured in miles per hour.
Run: A character with a Constitution score of 9 or higher can run for a minute without a problem. Generally, a character can run for a minute or two before having to rest for a minute

OVERLAND MOVEMENT
Characters covering long distances cross-country use overland movement. Overland movement is measured in miles per hour or miles per day. A day represents 8 hours of actual travel time. For rowed watercraft, a day represents 10 hours of rowing. For a sailing ship, it represents 24 hours.
Walk: A character can walk 8 hours in a day of travel without a problem. Walking for longer than that can wear him or her out (see Forced March, below).
Hustle: A character can hustle for 1 hour without a problem. Hustling for a second hour in between sleep cycles deals 1 point of nonlethal damage, and each additional hour deals twice the damage taken during the previous hour of hustling. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from hustling becomes fatigued.
A fatigued character can’t run or charge and takes a penalty of -2 to Strength and Dexterity. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue.
Run: A character can’t run for an extended period of time.
Attempts to run and rest in cycles effectively work out to a hustle.

Terrain: The terrain through which a character travels affects how much distance he or she can cover in an hour or a day (see Table: Terrain and Overland Movement). A highway is a straight, major, paved road. A road is typically a dirt track. A trail is like a road, except that it allows only single-file travel and does not benefit a party traveling with vehicles. Trackless terrain is a wild area with no paths.

Forced March: In a day of normal walking, a character walks for 8 hours. The rest of the daylight time is spent making and breaking camp, resting, and eating.
A character can walk for more than 8 hours in a day by making a forced march. For each hour of marching beyond 8 hours, a Constitution check (DC 10, +2 per extra hour) is required. If the check fails, the character takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. A character who takes any nonlethal damage from a forced march becomes fatigued. Eliminating the nonlethal damage also eliminates the fatigue. It’s possible for a character to march into unconsciousness by pushing himself too hard.

Mounted Movement: A mount bearing a rider can move at a hustle. The damage it takes when doing so, however, is lethal damage, not nonlethal damage. The creature can also be ridden in a forced march, but its Constitution checks automatically fail, and, again, the damage it takes is lethal damage. Mounts also become fatigued when they take any damage from hustling or forced marches.

See Table: Mounts and Vehicles for mounted speeds and speeds for vehicles pulled by draft animals.

Waterborne Movement: See Table: Mounts and Vehicles for speeds for water vehicles.

I can't get the tables to format correctly but you can find them in the SRD under the Carrying and Exploration file. For example an unencumbered light warhorse moves 6mi/hour or 48mi/day while a heavily encumbered light warhorse moves 4mi/hour or 32mi/day.

Or you could just skip all that and anytime your players want to go somewhere you simply decide what you want the situation to look like and tell them something like "if you walk at a normal pace and camp overnight you will arrive early tomorrow morning, if you push yourselves you can make it before sunrise but you will take Fatigue penalties."

Hope that helps.

Thanks Everyone for your help ...

Now! Has Anyone got some Weather Tables? I had some really great ones for Greyhawk, published some ages ago - but I've lost them now.

Found a Table of Sorts ... My 'Old' RPG text

I hope that The Atlantean Edition puts all of the relevant and related material together ... where it can be referenced easier.

I still don't have access to a GM Screen. Guess I'll have to start cutting and pasting again ...

Someone here up a Home made Screen - but I was unable to download it!

Back