Monsters

columbob said:
Zipp Dementia said:
This sounds like it was a very cool project. The stating seems solid... some of the descriptions are a little brief though. In any case, I would like a copy of this.

Most of the descriptions of the monsters encountered in the game books were very brief too, so...

And yet, still seem to be longer than the monster descriptions in the d20 RPG :p.

Zipp Dementia said:
This sounds like it was a very cool project. The stating seems solid... some of the descriptions are a little brief though. In any case, I would like a copy of this.

You'll have to petition Mongoose to release it as a freebie or to do a Monsters of Magnamund book!

Eternalknight said:
Zipp Dementia said:

You'll have to petition Mongoose to release it as a freebie or to do a Monsters of Magnamund book!

Since the LW RPG is OGL, why couldn't you release it yourself? Just wondering.

The D20 system is OGL, which means you can use the basic rules set, but the setting of Magnamund and the rules unique to the Lone Wolf game are not, so... I'm gonna say that's not happening.

Well, as far as I know, Joe Dever has the rights to those monsters and descriptions. He has given permission to only ProjectAon to publish his material publically. The names and text descriptions of each creature in question are his domain. I don't think Mongoose has any actual right to that information. I'm not sure if Joe Dever would even mind these creations using his text, especially since it is readily available for free from ProjectAon.

Additionally, the monster stats are all based on OGL rules, which Mongoose does not own. Meaning you can stat anything out that you want, as long as you don't include any text from the Mongoose books that aren't basic OGL content and that aren't specifically taken from the LW books (since that's up to Joe to decide, not Mongoose).

I can't see any reason why publishing a .pdf with all of this information publically with Joe Dever's consent (if it can be obtained) would be any of Mongoose's business. I don't see how they could give consent for it in the first place--they don't own rights to any of the stuff that you guys have published here on these forums.

Heck, it's already all been published publically here in this forum anyway, what difference does it make if someone compiles it so it looks nice?

If something is in this thread, is it considered "open game" to be used by others in the LW community? I am trying to write some stuff currently, and would like to use some of the monsters here (I would cite teh author, of course)

Al

The whole reason I won't release the document is because it was initally sent to August at his request for possible future use in a Lone Wolf sourcebook. It was also sent to Tower of the Sun, but it has not been posted there for the same reasons, and when those guys contacted Mongoose about it, they never received permission to post it.

Yes but someone could at least sticky the thread so it doesn't get buried by new posts, right? It's really useful for filling in those gaps (like when I ran up against the Crystal Frostwyrm in book 3 and went "I bet they haven't included that in the LWd20 monster section" and decided to come here and see what I could see).

Back