** MONGOOSE INFANTRY SEEKS VOLUNTEERS **

GamerDude

Cosmic Mongoose
** MONGOOSE INFANTRY SEEKS VOLUNTEERS **

Hi everyone,

As part of revitalizing our team of volunteer demonstrators - the Mongoose Infantry (MI), Matthew Sprange, Managing Director of Mongoose appointed me the Coordinator of the MI.

Matthew and I are currently near the end of finalizing the outline of the new MI program and so now I'm shouting out looking for new recruits. You don't have to be an expert in any of our games just know the rules, have a love of the game, and a desire to teach the game to others - spreading the word of all our gaming goodness.

If you are interested go to http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/demoteams.htm then download the TrooperPack, and fill out the application.

NOTE: You should already have (or be willing to purchase) enough product to run a game (no using HeroClix or something we didn't make) and a game store close enough you are willing to go to and run events.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me on the forums I'll happily help you out.
If you wish my direct email is albiegamer <<at>> gmail {[dot]} com, Subject "MI Question"

-*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-
Al Beddow
Member Mongoose Infantry since 2003
USA Co-Ordinator of the Mongoose Infantry

I would like to do this, as I demo Traveller and Paranoia at RPG shows in the UK whenever I can. Sadly, as I don't have a local games store interested in demos for anything other than CCGs I'll have to pass.

Elrick said:
I would like to do this, as I demo Traveller and Paranoia at RPG shows in the UK whenever I can. Sadly, as I don't have a local games store interested in demos for anything other than CCGs I'll have to pass.
Elrick, I understand your concern and we currently have a few troopers who do a whole one convention a year.

Let me quote a reply I made in the ACTA forum (specifically see the comment I wrote in bold italics)

billclo said:
I looked through the FAQ, and didn't see how one would go about getting credit for games run at conventions.

I will probably be running an event at a convention 2-3 times a year.
Ok that's a good question and an opportunity for me to also clarify my post.

First... convention events are same as store events.
  • Schedule event with Store/Con staff
  • Advertise event (store:flyer, con:its in the program but maybe see about your own flyers around con).
  • Run event (get names/info on event form)
  • Get form signed by Store/Con staff
  • Mail/Fax/Email PDF to mongooseinfantry@mongoosepublishing.com
Easy peasy.

As for where you can run an event, currently there is nothing that says you *must* run in stores or *must* run at a convention. It must be a venue open to the public and not someone's home, we must be able to find the host of the event or the store to verify (if an event gets selected to be followed up on).

This doesn't change in the new program.

Now to clarify the "reboot".
We're talking completely revamped program. New forms, Better rewards, clearer rules/requirements, etc. Hopefully anyone interested in joining will sign up now, we are within say about two months (or less) of releasing the new program

Al Beddow

Elrick said:

Just think of it this way even if you only do it twice a years at conventions it, builds the Mongoose line by creating players. Who may end up being your neighbors you never new were there. It also helps you to become a better gamer in the eyes of fellow gamers who will thank you for teaching then a new great game.

rcbecker1 said:
Elrick said:

Just think of it this way even if you only do it twice a years at conventions it, builds the Mongoose line by creating players. Who may end up being your neighbors you never new were there. It also helps you to become a better gamer in the eyes of fellow gamers who will thank you for teaching then a new great game.

I currently demo Traveller under the BITS banner (http://www.bitsuk.net/) and I run Paranoia for the pleasure of seeing happy players get up from the table. I'm planning to run Traveller and 2300AD at Dragonmeet in December, for example (http://www.dragonmeet.co.uk/).

Apart from a few teenage children of existing gamers, it's been a long time since I ran games for people who hadn't roleplayed before - but that may be because the roleplaying shows I normally attend don't really attract non-gamers (in the 80s I used to run games at SF conventions where you could count on non-gamers who could be persuaded to try it).

I looked at the MI programme a couple of years ago but as the shows I normally attend are all in the September to March period I couldn't meet the hours requirement throughout the year so I left it.

Elrick said:
I looked at the MI programme a couple of years ago but as the shows I normally attend are all in the September to March period I couldn't meet the hours requirement throughout the year so I left it.
Elrick,
While I appreciate why you chose that path I must say that I totally disagree with it.

If you see something in a program like the MI I feel there is a much better approach - write and ask. rcbecker1 and I have had in the past many conversations where he kept with the same 'argument'... "but what if I cant <insert something> or what if I don't want to do <insert something else>?"

My answer was always "ya email the boss explaining your situation and see if something can be worked out. The only question guaranteed to be a 'no' is the one you don't bother asking."

Al Beddow

I can sympathise with Elrick. I am only 20mins down the road from him and our area is deadly sparse of bricks and mortar gaming shops.

I am a demo'er for a couple of games already and would love to be a MI and promote the game properly. I was recently at Derby for a wargames tournament and they had one guy slightly demo'ing Judge Dredd. He was actually an employee of a company producing resin scenery and the demo was all on this - only prob was it had no Judge Dredd miniatures apart from one old Citadel Judge and he did not have the downloaded rulebook, just a few printed out mechanics!!!

So yes it would be great to be part of the MI but unfortunately I could not devote the time to it that it deserves. A probelm I already have trying to promote the other games I am involved with.

GamerDude said:
Elrick said:
Elrick,
While I appreciate why you chose that path I must say that I totally disagree with it.

If you see something in a program like the MI I feel there is a much better approach - write and ask. rcbecker1 and I have had in the past many conversations where he kept with the same 'argument'... "but what if I cant <insert something> or what if I don't want to do <insert something else>?"

My answer was always "ya email the boss explaining your situation and see if something can be worked out. The only question guaranteed to be a 'no' is the one you don't bother asking."

Al Beddow

I agree, I am on "long term sick leave" from the MI until my health recovers, Matt has no issue with this.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
I agree, I am on "long term sick leave" from the MI until my health recovers, Matt has no issue with this.

LBH
That's true, although why he is out of his stasis pod surfing the web instead of in it getting better I have no idea.

Ohhh nuurrssss Ratched! another patient to be put back to "bed"

<guess the movie reference, if I got it right>

GamerDude said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH
That's true, although why he is out of his stasis pod surfing the web instead of in it getting better I have no idea.

Ohhh nuurrssss Ratched! another patient to be put back to "bed"

<guess the movie reference, if I got it right>

Humour is bad for my meds ;)

LBH

Deathjester said:
I can sympathise with Elrick. I am only 20mins down the road from him and our area is deadly sparse of bricks and mortar gaming shops.

Well, we have the one in Cambridge, but thats it for the area that I know of - used to be able to find stuff in Ely but the shop seems to have dropped it, the comic place in Huntingdon limited stock but I guess demand might change that (with the club there that might drive it some), and the place in St Neots closed a while ago....

I'd love to have options but without the shops there, then you lose space and clubs be it the Cambridge one or the Huntingdon one tend to be by their nature a closed event. FOr me its a case of me bringing my various Mongoose games down to the club and running the games there for people - downside of that is that without the inspiration/drive to go to the counter and buy the stuff there and then, the other players a the club tend to sit back and assume I'll just buy it all...

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to post that the *NEW* MI program is getting very close to launch.

If you've downloaded and read the current one many things will be the same but there are some nice new benefits, clearer guidelines, etc.

I encourage anyone interested in Mongooses games and enjoys teaching them to sign up for the program.

Thank you

Al Beddow
Coordinator, Mongoose Infantry Demonstration Operations

I know it is the week before Christmas, but I've just been told about an opportunity to do a Traveller Demo on 12/29 for some people completely new to MgT. So, if someone could help expedite the process, I'd be most appreciative... :)

Back