Mods--please be less rabid

nennafir

Mongoose
A while ago, I posted that I did not like the current system where in an opposed skill test if both characters fail then whoever rolls lowest in their skill test wins. This assumes that if someone who is normally very talented fails then they fail catastrophically and will lose the test. Much more realistic is that if someone who is normally very talented fails they only fail slightly.

In other words, it should be:
BOTH CHARACTERS FAIL--Whoever rolled the highest in their skill test wins the opposed test.

The only reason I can see that you didn't go with the above originally is that you were scared about how this would interact with the fumble rule. Just say that the fumble rule is not in effect in opposed skill tests like this. Instead of the above, you could have it "BOTH CHARACTERS FAIL--Whoever rolled the closest to their skill wins." The problem with this is that it achieves the same result as the above test and yet requires a subtraction. That is not as good and it is better just to use the one I outlined above.

I also remarked about the halving rule in this now deleted post. Many people have already commented how silly the halving rule is.

I realize this post will get deleted to. I just want to tell the moderators here: You are not doing yourself a service by deleting critical posts. Annoying critical friends can only turn them into enemies. I was obviously excited about MRQ or I would not have ordered it and be reading it so soon. I am going to be running an MRQ campaign. By deleting critical posts, all you are doing is annoying your fanbase.

The word will get out in the end, in any case, and your attempts to covertly re-write the rules to a released game with faults (see the "by the rules or by mr sprange" thread, for example) will be perceived as such. My advice is: Admit that you messed up, and try to release official errata quickly. Critical analysis can only help you acheive this.

I haven't noticed anything being deleted, and I have followed this forum since it started. And there have been some threads I would have liked to have been deleted. Usually the ones in which I embarrassed myself. :wink:

msprange said:
Umm. . . we haven't deleted anything. . .

Sigh... Whether or not it was you, someone did. To prevent this from devolving into "he said...she said" I'll stop now. Thanks for replying to me. I appreciate that.

nennafir said:
msprange said:

Sigh... Whether or not it was you, someone did. To prevent this from devolving into "he said...she said" I'll stop now. Thanks for replying to me. I appreciate that.

I have noticed that if I take too long to write a post, the system logs me out for perceived inactivity. It's happened a few times where I wrote something, then when I tried to submit it I was brought back to a log-in page and the message I submitted was lost. Not deleted, but lost and never appeared in the forum.

Perhaps this is what happened to you? I find it hard to beleive that anyone would delete your posts.

I'm now in the habit of copying my text to the clipboard before submitting. If the message gets lost, I just paste into a new one and re-submit.

C.

msprange said:

I gotta defend you here too. I've posted a lot of posts where I have questioned MRQ, or expressed a strong dislike, and they are still here.

Mongoose hasn't muzzled, edited, censored, or deleted anything as far as I know.

atgxtg said:
I gotta defend you here too. I've posted a lot of posts where I have questioned MRQ, or expressed a strong dislike, and they are still here.

Mongoose hasn't muzzled, edited, censored, or deleted anything as far as I know.

And unless someone seriously takes the Mick, we won't. As far as we are concerned, all criticism is valid and useful, even if it is negative. . .

Are we talking about this (still visible) post?

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=265003&highlight=#265003

Apologies if you're referring to something else, of course.

andakitty said:
I haven't noticed anything being deleted, and I have followed this forum since it started. And there have been some threads I would have liked to have been deleted. Usually the ones in which I embarrassed myself. :wink:
lol! Too true! MS have a commendable, remarkably light touch even though I am _sure_ they are writhing in their chairs sometimes _and_ feel how unjustly they are sometimes treated: :D

Can I have a fiver, too, please?
8)

msprange said:
Ohhh.. that's such a fib. A thread started by me entitled Nasty Broos and critical of the Broo miniatures was deleted in it's entirety in June. Nothing offensive, just critical of the sculpting/painting brief. Gone.

Still haven't had a reply to the pm I sent about it either.

t-tauri said:
Ohhh.. that's such a fib. A thread started by me entitled Nasty Broos and critical of the Broo miniatures was deleted in it's entirety in June. Nothing offensive, just critical of the sculpting/painting brief. Gone.

Somebody (I don't recall who it was) stepped over the line on that thread. There are limits, though we tend to come down harder on people who abuse other posters rather than Mongoose.

t-tauri said:
msprange said:

How about restarting the thread? If we all see it go "poof" you will have witnesses and shown everybody what is happening.

If it doesn't go "poof" you get to have your topic back.

Either way, it's a win-win for you.

BTW, It is also possible that the thead was somehow lost accidentally. I know Firefox looses my booksmarks every so often, but it's not deliberate.

Back