How do you like your RPGs?

• modern

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fantasy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Megatron

Mongoose
So, what kind of campaign setting does everybody prefer; modern or fantasy? I personally prefer modern over fantasy. How about everyone else?

agenttk421 said:
So, what kind of campaign setting does everybody prefer; modern or fantasy? I personally prefer modern over fantasy. How about everyone else?

How about neither?

Future, Historical, pseudo-historical and horror don't seem to get a look in which are pretty much all I play. Straight fantasy and modern I find as dull as dish water :(

I choose modern because I assume that it meant for modern to include Sci Fi, according to the thread title. Fantasy has been do to death in my group. On the other hand I know many people on this forum who are sick of all the new Sci Fi games so to each his own.

Where is the "love both equally" option? :D as i fall firmly into that category.

I've definitely ran and played in more fantasy games, but preference wise im happy with either.

I have a hard time choosing since i have played in all types and I love playing in all of the realities so im peronantly between the two...

right now im in a D&D game aswell as an Inomine game taking place in a modern setting..

so i say BOTH

I like them both, in the end I picked fantasy just because mongoose already has 2 excellent modern/sci-fi lines for RPG and Mini's with B5 and SST...would be nice if the next major license is a fantasy setting.

It depends on the setting, but it does seem harder to get SF right than it is to do good fantasy. Partly because it's a much more diverse thing in itself. There are a few standard props and gizmos, most of which are bad science, but SF is a very big mind- space. Particularly when you get to soft SF like Fading Suns, whose only real techno- rationale is the style of the thing.

i picked Scifi over fantasy, because i play in 2 very good fantasy games right now (DnD, Black Company). I haven't found a scifi game anyone wants to play in. :( I'm hoping the new B5 will get their attention. :)

I like them both, but I must say I'm drawn to a particular setting rather than such a broad genere. I like WFRP, but not most D&D (last I played was 1st edition AD&D). I like Superhero RPGs (villians and vigilantes!!! Jeff Dee rules) ruined future (cyberpunk 2020, Gamma world) Sci fi (Robotech, WEG Star Wars).

I have to say I think in general though I prefer games that are based on skills/proficiencies rather than character levels. I think it gives you a more definable character.

RPG's I've played that I didn't like or didn't take to:
Shadowrun (introducing magic in a cyberpunk setting seems wrong somehow)
Rifts (too much mixing going on)
Star Frontiers
Twighlight 2000 (love the setting, but that game had a WAY steep learing curve)

RPG's that I haven't played but I'd like to try:
B5 RPG. no players in my area.
Traveller - cool setting, like the history aspect (can play in any time period of the imperium really) and there are many incarnations. (Gurps, D20, Mark Miller's traveller, plus previous editions)
Gurps in general - I like the concept behind the system. cyberpunk, autoduel, traveller, transhuman space are settings I have stuff for.

RPG's I haven't played and likely won't ever:
pretty much any Horror-based system. the genere just isn't for me. Including Cthuluhlu (did I spell that right?) werewolf, vampire, whatever..
the new 40K rpg, if its ever actually released.

but then thats me. :wink:

My group is definitely in the "We like both" camp. Last we played Warhammer, it was Firefly and Star Wars before, and Conan before that. Change is good. :wink:

You don't really want to spell it right. Especially not spelling it right, if you get my meaning. Ia, ia, chthulhu fhtagn...oh no, my room has corners...they're coming to get me...[SPLORTCH.]
Genre jamming never really suited me either. It smelt of munchkindom to me. Still, there are lots of different reasons to game, so whatever works.

agenttk421 said:

I don't like modern or recent too much, its too...well..now!!! I do however like both Fantasy and Sci-Fi settings. One or the other depending on what mood I am in or what book/movie I have recently watched.

Back