Missing "x" in new print...

Roger Calver said:
OK it is an error but by no way a major one.

Mongoose have gone out of their way to compensate and fix the problems that have happened.

Sorry IMHO a few missing X's is nothing to get upset about.

You're absolutely right! I haven't been posting (or reading) here long so I was unaware of the apparent history behind typos and Mongoose. I was just pointing it out because I thougt it was a funny, quirky error (which I attributed to printer/format error, not human error).

But I AM impressed to read that Mongoose is willing to replace a book to satisfy. That's impressive! I've only known one other company that is willing to do that...and it ISN'T WotC.

Roger Calver said:
Mongoose have gone out of their way to compensate and fix the problems that have happened.

Sorry IMHO a few missing X's is nothing to get upset about.

I bought a copy of Traders & Gunboats and politely say there were many things to get upset about now to hear a revised second edition has been released addressing-correcting the first editions shortcomings.

Hello Stainless,

How many documents are error free in the real world even after a hundred printings. I've purchased many profesional books that have errors, some of the errors have been reprinted in every printing I've checked. Of course, with each printing the page numbers change and when sections are updated or deleted new errors find their way in the book. I'm also a science fiction nut, about 2,000 books, and I've found formatting errors similar to the current materials coming from Mongoose. These are normal and do not detract from the overall purpose of the product. I'm going to admit that I have a tendency to errors in typing that I miss no matter how many times I proff read my work. Heck, I've had other people proof read my stuff and they missed stuff like missing page numbers or the multiplication symbols.. Mongoose, as pointed out here, has offered to replace books for customers and provide something else for free. I for one won't take them up on the offer because the books still do the design function of providing the rules to and background for Traveller.

To sum up thank you Mongoose for the efforts of bring Classic Traveller back for a new group of people. Also, please try adding an officail erratum section so that individuals like myself can make pen and ink correction. GT used to do a great job, but lately there does not appear to be any updates to any of the products.

Stainless said:
msprange said:
Stainless said:
Very dissapointing (since I like MongTrav so much) and they're already loosing my business as I won't buy High Guard or Traders and Gunboats until I hear they are printed correctly.

They are printed correctly.

That may be true, but the OP is about the Traveller core rule book. So far, correct me if I'm wrong, that has had the first printing, then an updated version of the PDF and then another update of the PDF with new art and STILL there are errors. Thus, I'm just a bit skeptical as to how long I should wait before High Guard, etc. are truly correct before I buy them

I know from personal professional experience just how hard it can be to iron out all typos, so I'm not dismissing the difficulty of the task. If it was me, I'd use a model where I get the print-ready copy and then give one chapter and one chapter only to staff/volunteers to go through with a fine-toothed, highly skeptical, comb. Then it needs a couple of people to look over the whole volume yet agian to check for consistency of rules, etc. Yes, a slow and therefore costly process and not guaranteed to be 100% accurate, but Mongoose's reputation in this area, as expressed regularly on numerous RPG fora, is still mud. I suspect squeeky cleanness will be the only way to get a clear reputation.

My apologies if I've sounded a bit grumpy. It might have something to do with my 6 month old daughter and the abstract concept of sleep. Then again, perhaps I've been pampered by my experience of publishers like Springer Verlag.

Hello Stainless,

Yep, having a wee one does have a tendency to cause grumpiness and having that rare publisher that seems to get past 98% of errors does spoil one. Sort of like using the latest, greatest, and speedy computer at work and coming home to what seems to be the slowest one in the world. :lol:

I noticed several errors in my post which I'm going to blame on web gremlins. I did proof read the typing before I hit submit, in fact I copied the thing into both WordPerfect and Word to verify my typing. Bloody Web gremlins.

Stainless said:
My apologies if I've sounded a bit grumpy. It might have something to do with my 6 month old daughter and the abstract concept of sleep. Then again, perhaps I've been pampered by my experience of publishers like Springer Verlag.

Stainless said:
Springer Verlag.

This will the Springer that turns over nearly a billion Pounds a year and employs over 5,000 people?

Quite happy to admit there might be some disparity there :)

Back