missing sourcebooks

toothill man

Mongoose
the missing but mentioned sourcebooks for slaine are Drunes,Dinas Emrys,the norsemen and the one I am wanting most Formorians can we please have these to enrich our slaine games by making the bad guys even worse :wink:

toothill man said:
the missing but mentioned sourcebooks for slaine are Drunes,Dinas Emrys,the norsemen and the one I am wanting most Formorians can we please have these to enrich our slaine games by making the bad guys even worse :wink:

Absolutely - Theres a lot of stuff on the Drunes and norsemen in Tir Na Nog and the Horned God, but why not go for a big book of badies and have a book covering the Formorians, Drunes, Norseman and maybe the Cythrons. Prehaps as part of a GMs Companion along with lots of monsters and such.

Personally I think covering these would have been more useful than the tribe books, as this would have assited GMs immensely in preping their own material, where as the tribe books don't really support the GM or players too much, as its all kind of add on fluff. Nice, but not necessary at such an early stage.

This also might have helped keep the game going post Horned God. As it is the support material for the GMs personal use is quite minimal, the campaign and Tir Na Nog (which players are likely to use).

I feel that Mongoose made a tactical error here, the extra player material probably would have sold better if introduced later, as it would expand players options after they had been introduced to the game (encouraging them and the GM to buy them).

I belive too that the bad guys first would have been far better and as my guys are loving the horned god campain we will be playing slaine for some time at least till conan is out so as a DM those source books are needed ASAP :(

Actually chaps I think the material that's come out is good, just think that perhaps Horned God wasn't the best choice for a beginning scenario - even if I agree with the choices they made in that scenario.

Problem is, Slaine's a slow cooker and people are used to seeing product hit the shelves at superspeed. Given the favourable trade press about it, I'm wondering why there isn't more of it around though. Either sales are not what they could be or the authors have much other stuff going on.

I'd be not very surprised if lack of artwork is the real cause of not much Slaine stuff - why we haven't seen more non-Slaine but Celtic barbarian art is a question which has merit?

Maybe, just maybe there's an artist out there waiting to fill this niche? Hey you artist-sorts who like Fabry and Bisley? Want a REAL challenge?

We as fans aren't being terribly supportive either. I'd expected to have seen 20 or so fan sites on the 'Net by now but there does seem to be a dearth of them around. Hope to fix that this autumn though. :)

but in the defence of most slaine groups the epic adventure is giving us a taste of celtic roleplaying then we are making homebrew adventures due to lack of offical source material and so the demand will switch to ideas etc to keep the adventures going.still belive mongoose lost alot of money by not have the source books ready too go when slaine wins awards and many fans.

satyre said:
Actually chaps I think the material that's come out is good, just think that perhaps Horned God wasn't the best choice for a beginning scenario - even if I agree with the choices they made in that scenario.

I never said it wasn't good, just that prehaps the order was wrong. Theres very little in the way of information in regards to Drunes and Formorians, which means as a GM I have to wing it. The problem is of course then when the information does appear, it could suddenly mean the formori have dramatically changed - Its easier to get away with giving players the options, as they accept that straight off, as its in their benefit. But if suddenly the formori are wicked magicians, and brutal killers, the party is likely to end up having a suddenly rough time of it.

Horned God is excellent, as it brings the campaign right up to the best era of the comic (Mills and Bisley) which was hugely popular time at 2000AD

which is why I started this thread guys as the promised source material will soon cause me problems due to the amount of winging I have had too do to make the bad guys really bad :twisted:

Ahhh... interesting ploy that. But I think the bad guys will be bad enough.

Fomorian nose tax anyone?

Any news on these sourcebooks yet, are they in the pipeline or not even started yet?

Are you after people to write submissions for Slaine RPG beyond writing for Signs & Portents?

It's been almost a week, so I'll give this thread a little bump.

But I'll also add that Slaine has been the d20 setting that has impressed me the most. Midnight, Oathbound, Freeport, Bluffside are all great setting and rich with detail, but Slaine has always been the one to top my setting lists. I've yet to play a single game in it, yet I still have all the supplements and one day I hope to run it. I may try to find a game at some Cons this summer, but other then that all I have of Slaine is what I get to read. :D

same here slaine and conan put mongoose in my view at the top of the pile.so why not support slaine more with more supplements come on guys you know it makes sense 8)

No solid plans for Slaine supplements at this time guys.

However, I did suggest on EN World that our current sales of Slayer's Guides and Encyclopeadias (which are also meeting an end this year) could easily support a small games company, and that some of our older licenced games could also be sub-licenced to such an entity.

We will give consideration to any solid business plan that drops into my inbox.

a question too matt then now Ian is free lance is slaine a dead system as far as mongoose is concerned?and only a buy out of the licence will put more supplements on the book shelves :(

looks that way, certainly the Slaine Yahoo group seems to suggest this.

Tempting though but I don't have the time to concentrate on another business enterprise

What a pity!
And what an anticlimax to what could have been a great series.

I think all of the tribes should have been one book, and I loved the idea of an enemies book too.

Back