Messantia Box Set

ryhopewood

Mongoose
Hi all

Picked up my copy of the boxed set today.

First impressions (in no particular order of importance):

1. Counters look really good - great art.

2. City book looks nice and detailed - plenty of material.

3. Poster map is a bit disappointing - assorted shapes and oversized numbering does not a pretty picture make - good have done this myself in CC2 in a couple of hours (and that is not a good thing).

See my forum rant on maps on another post.

Cheers Ian

Alriighy: my thoughts:

ryhopewood said:
1. Counters look really good - great art.

I didn't really like the counters: the arts been stolen from other books, all in all, it seems to me like there's a shortage of good artwork for conan, which is weird concidering what a wealth of comic material there is.

ryhopewood said:
2. City book looks nice and detailed - plenty of material.

It's good: lot's of detail, lot's of hooks. Most nifty things seems to be in the area around the city though. Loved the whole freecove thing. Inspired by Cobh outside Cork perhaps?

ryhopewood said:
3. Poster map is a bit disappointing - assorted shapes and oversized numbering does not a pretty picture make - good have done this myself in CC2 in a couple of hours (and that is not a good thing).

Concur. It's a shame, really: you can do so much with a map: not only for atmosphere (it's nice if it can be handed out to the players as a prop, though this migh limit info) but also for what information it carries: a picture says more than a thousand words. The map in messantia reminded me of a crude subway map... :cry:

Adventure: A good start kind of trails off towards the end. Very true to form though: it's definitely a Conan scenario. Needs a bit of polish and inovation on part of the GM to really shine I'd say.

All in all: Messantia is a rich and interesting setting. If mongoose would just have put in a little more effort in rounding it off and helped up our sadly lacking imaginations with more description, pictures and better maps, it would have been a treasure-throve of a supplement. As it is, it is handy and useful, which definitely is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Etepete said:
Alriighy: my thoughts:

It's good: lot's of detail, lot's of hooks. Most nifty things seems to be in the area around the city though. Loved the whole freecove thing. Inspired by Cobh outside Cork perhaps?

Well, not consciously inspired by Cobh, but now that you mention it I can see where you're coming from. I was there a few years ago in a sort of 'seeing where my ancestors came from' trip - guess my last name gives that away - so who knows? Maybe it's been stewing in my brain since March 2000 waiting for a means of release? :)

GregLynch said:
Well, not consciously inspired by Cobh, but now that you mention it I can see where you're coming from. I was there a few years ago in a sort of 'seeing where my ancestors came from' trip - guess my last name gives that away - so who knows? Maybe it's been stewing in my brain since March 2000 waiting for a means of release? :)

Wouldn't suprise me: it's really the perfect adventure site: Ghost capital of the british isles, last port of call for titanic, important naval port in the past and such impressive scenery. :)

Back