MegaTraveller now on our Website!

Which printing of the rulebooks was used for the pdf scan?

By third printing a lot of the errata had been fixed.

Also where is Manhunt? The lost adventure that was released a while back.

And a direct link to it

And I just found these too:

I'd like that too, but I would also like to see Mongoose deliver on the potential of day 1 of the Rebellion or even the plot beforehand. I want PCs doing stuff, not five years of background and then start.
If they could do as their proposed FFW and leave events open-ended then even better.

I wonder what it would be like to adventure in the Fall of the 3rd Imperium? Has anyone on this thread been a Referee or a Traveller in this setting? I would imagine trying to take your ship from one pocket Empire or polity to another would be more perilous and could make lots of new plot ideas. Being part of the Rebellion would be very political and would make for more military adventures.

It looks like a whole lot has gone up today :) :) :)
And working on getting the rest up too - but there is rather a lot of it, so may take a while. May also be some bits and pieces you may not completely expect, but we'll see how things go.

I'd like that too, but I would also like to see Mongoose deliver on the potential of day 1 of the Rebellion or even the plot beforehand. I want PCs doing stuff, not five years of background and then start.
If they could do as their proposed FFW and leave events open-ended then even better.

No plans as yet but if we were to ever do that... that is likely the path we will take.

Are these new scans or the same as before from FFE/Marc Miller (CD-ROMs)?

You may see some tweaks here and there but, in general, the same.

Doesn't look like any DGP stuff.

The last two MTJs were copyright GDW nor DGP, and the Robots book was released much later by FFE thanks to the work of the author.

Matt, you should also post for free the last version of the official Errata by Don McKinney (RIP), which I believe is V2.22. As you say, your versions are mostly the same as FFE, and unfortunately these are not fully patched. I love MegaTraveller and it is my base version, but the errata is a major obstacle for adopting it, so providing errata is helpful. Also, a small nit, I don't understand why you are charging anything for the crowdsourced Robots supplement, as it is free at FFE.

I will eventually post a major entry to this canon now that you have made this material available (yeah!), specifically that the MegaT vehicle construction rules were well thought out and solve a lot of the problems that some are complaining about with MgT. Yes, this is provocative, but please wait for the post!

The MT vehicle construction rules have a massive flaw.

Armour.

Stick to Striker of use FF&S, but armour in MT design sequence is broken.

Integration with HG has another massive flaw - power output. They should have addded another scale efficiency factor for ship scale power plants.

Which brought about the greatest flaw of the lot - reducing jump fuel requirements.

Armour.

Integration with HG has another massive flaw - power output. They should have addded another scale efficiency factor for ship scale power plants.

Which brought about the greatest flaw of the lot - reducing jump fuel requirements.
Like I said, I'll post something later, but as to HG/Striker incompatibility, going with Striker over HG was a decision, not a flaw. They're games. The non-jump fuel was higher with Striker so you lower jump fuel. That's fine.

Armour.

I found this comment interesting. I had not done this before, but I just took the Armor Type Table (Striker Book 4 page 3) and used it to reproduce the weight and price multipliers from the MegaT Ref Manual (Table 7 page 63). They match almost exactly, maybe 0.1 off in a couple places. Striker errata notes that base HG armor is Striker 40, with matches MegaT. MegaT doesn't reference armor slopes, which is fine or add them back if you want. What am I missing?

Like I said, I'll post something later, but as to HG/Striker incompatibility, going with Striker over HG was a decision, not a flaw. They're games. The non-jump fuel was higher with Striker so you lower jump fuel. That's fine.
No, it isn't fine when there is a much easier way to solve it and maintain a Striker based design sequence - add a scale efficiency for starships power plants.

I found this comment interesting. I had not done this before, but I just took the Armor Type Table (Striker Book 4 page 3) and used it to reproduce the weight and price multipliers from the MegaT Ref Manual (Table 7 page 63). They match almost exactly, maybe 0.1 off in a couple places. Striker errata notes that base HG armor is Striker 40, with matches MegaT. MegaT doesn't reference armor slopes, which is fine or add them back if you want. What am I missing?
That you add armour without it consuming any volume, which it does in Striker and FF&S.
I think the maths was too hard for them, but then the folks at DGP appear to have used the LBB77ship rules rather than the LBB81 revision - no power plant needed for jump drive, all jump fuel used regardless of jump distance.

@Sigtrygg, I really do appreciate these discussions, just so you know!

I've actually examined the fuel issue in detail, and while I had not thought much about the armor issue, I will say that:
1) I believe these changes were deliberate, as I will show below, but:
2) They are easily added back if you are so inclined, though I think this analysis will show why they were not.

By the way, re. your comment about using the LBBs: did you not mean High Guard (HG)? MegaT clearly used HG as the base for its starship rules.

1) Fuel: It may be surprising the degree to which the DG crew tried to maintain compatibility between HG and MegaT. The 3 fusion power plants in MegaT for TL 10/13/15 assuming highest efficiency (3x MW at 14+ kl) are almost exactly the same volume as TL 10/13/15 HG power plants per 250 MW (MegaT)/1 EP (HG) and 100 D-tons of hull (i.e. 3/2/1 D-tons). The only difference is fuel consumption: MegaT plants use 6.7x that of HG plants. So your point about scaling is subtle: MegaT plants are producing the same power as HG plants, just using much less fuel. Further, MegaT plants are carefully balanced to consume the same amount of fuel per MW regardless of size or TL. Therefore, it is easy to restore HG fuel consumption: multiply MegaT fusion plant fuel consumption by 0.15 (which is exact, per my calculations). You must then restore HG jump fuel requirements of hull %age = 10% x jump number.

But I think my analysis explains why this was not done: HG fusion plants are nearly 7x as fuel efficient as Striker/MegaT plants. Should this apply only to spacecraft, or to everything? Traveller5 seems to be using the latter, as its fusion and Fusion+ rules seem crazy lenient, and so this is a valid choice. I prefer that, in MegaT, as TL increases fuels cells start becoming very competitive with fusion. So I think the MegaT decisions are fine, but it is easy to reset back to HG via that simple factor, which would then more easily allow higher Agility like HG did.

2) Armor: I think MegaT dropped Armor volume deliberately. Why? Because its vehicle system makes no mention at all of dimensions, which are required for the Striker armor rules. But also, HG HAD armor volume rules, and they were not used. I think it is just as valid to assume that armor adds exterior volume than it takes up interior. But again, this is easily fixed. The following formula replicates HG armor volume with MegaT factors:

MegaT armor %age of hull = [10x (1+[MegaT armor factor-40]/3) x MegaT Armor Type Weight Mod]%

Again, this will come close to replicating HG armor volumes, not necessarily Striker. For vehicles, you can just use Striker as you suggested.

I'll give you two bonus HG adjustments, one which I use and one I don't.

3) Bridge: HG required a bridge to be 2% of the hull, 20 D-tons minimum. MegaT control panels don't come close to replicating this volume, so MegaT ships RAW have more space. I added back the concept of a Duty Station (which I have since seen in other products), which takes up 2 D-tons like a small stateroom. A minimum of 10 are required for a starship, or else equal to the number of non-frozen crew, so this creates a more fluid bridge size than HG.

4) Computer: HG computers were GINORMOUS! The thinking may have been that a HG computer includes lots of stuff that is excplicit in MegaT, like life support, comms, sensors, and control panels. So one approach is to require HG computer volumes and costs, but use them as a shopping allowance for other equipment. I don't see a reason to do this, and I suspect MegaT computers + other stuff take up less volume than HG computers did on average.

I'll close by noting that the strong reaction that many players had to these changes is a flaw of MegaT that, in my view, is worse than the errata: MegaT was clearly not playtested sufficiently. More and better playtesting would have caught more errata, found unclear rules (like combat), and highlighted unexpected changes like those above. I've addressed all of these in my rewrite of the rules, but it really is too bad this wasn't done at the time.

Back