Mech Combat Evo stuff...!! - Your Thoughts...

soulman

Mongoose
Just saw a gundam cartoon, loved all the flying around firing missiles and dodging lasers etc...

SO...

Anybody up for some Evo Mech ?

we have target for dodging attacks, kill, to destroy a mech, armour to stop damage, and toughness for taking hits

Weapons would be 1D10 for mecha damage, with armour -/+ as well, when damaged we can have a damage table for losing weapons etc.

Reactions can be used to shoot down incoming missiles, or use a shield for a armour re roll....

Thoughts people....

Alan -Uk

um.. you know that there is a game called battletech? : PPPPPPP

even better,, you can play it free as an java game :pP

I've been throuwing a few ideas for mecha combat around of late... It may have somethign to do with a mate of mine wanting to use my 1/60 scale Macross toys in Evo games...

Thanks Hiromoon, by the way, i have the Horror ruleset in PDF now, and on somebodys website, but hell do i get it up as a image..!!
Drives me mad

Anyway onto mech stuff, if i have time at the weekend i will write a little set out, i start with flying mech, the deep space stuff and then move onto the slow ground walker stuff..

Weapons will be D10 of course, with hard points, and a 1d10 damage system when you take a crit hit to flesh things out...

I was thinking, big laser cannons, loads of missiles all over the sky, mechs dodging and shooting them down etc...

It will also out me with the Modern Dogfight rules i have on my desk.....

So we can all play out topgun or stealth etc....

Thanks H....

What I was thinking about was looking at integrating mecha into current evo rules, rather than creating a larger subset. Taking a look at Gundam, we can make a stab at the RX-78 Gundam's stats. I've chosen the original gundam because the more modern versions are somewhat godlike in terms of abilities by comparison, and the original Gundam series was at least grounded in hard SF, even if it went off the rails at times.

(you can get specifications on most gundams, and lots of other mecha at www.mahq.net. http://www.mahq.net/mecha/gundam/msgundam/rx-78-2.htm is the Gundam itself.)

rx-78-2.jpg

So, looking at weapons, the Gundam has 4 main systems: The Beam Rifle, the Hyper Bazooka, the vulcan cannons and the Beam sabres. there's other weapons - the beam javelin, gundam hammer and hyper hammer, but they're glossed over for the most part.

The vulcan cannons are the Gundam's only fixed weapon, 60mm calibre, and capable of destroying a Mobile Suit with sustained fire (Amuro's first time out in the gundam, he destroyed a Zaku with the vulcans, but it used all the ammo aboard) They're probably a couple of D6 with a decent modifier, +4 or so and -1 to save - giving them a small chance of hurting a heavily armoured target. Range would be 30" or so

The Beam Rifle is a much more powerful weapon, easily destroying enemy mobile suits and other targets. We're talking D10+5 or 6 with a suitably long range and ignoring save rolls

It gets a bit silly when you move onto the hyper bazooka. This thing can destroy space combat ships with a single shot! It only carries 5 rounds thankfully and isn't a standard part of the Gundam's loudout. I'd be tempted to say it cal kill anything on the board on a D10 roll of 3+ or something similarly insane.

The Beam Sabres are close combat only, but again are incredibly powerful. As they're close combat weapons I'd simply model them as the close combat score of the gundam itself. 2xD10+4 or 5, with a -2 or 2 to save at the very least

Moving onto protection, the Gundam's armour is incredibly strong - it can withstand multiple hits from a Zaku's 120mm machine gun with no apparent effect, though concentrated fire from multiple sources at least worry the pilot, and it can only take a few hits from more powerful guns like the Magella Attack's 175mm cannon, or beam weaponry. When the Gundam was eventually destroyed, it was by the Zeong Mobile Armour - mounting 2 beam cannons with the power of a Musai battleship's main guns, as well as three smaller beam cannons.

there's a few ways to model that - one is an insanly high hit and kill rating, I don't like that too much as opponents should have at least a chance to take the Gundam down. Alternately an unmodifiable save roll or a second roll along the lines of aircraft countermeasures (or both) might be better.

and then you have to think about the pilot himself - Amuro Ray was a Newtype - an evolutionary leap forward with incredible reflexes, preternatural senses and a rudimentary psychic ability. I'd allow the Gundam 3 actions per turn and to move, charge or fire the beam rifle as a reaction.

Now, who wants to work out the points for all that, and even worse, stat up the far more powerful Mobile Suits?

Well done nagle on that info and picture, i`m pleased my post is getting people talking

MY IDEAS AT THE MOMENT...

Size, each size point is 1 HIT POINT, OR TOUGHNESS

So a tank size 4 takes 4 hits, so a size 10 mech would take 10 hits

I have a idea on critical hits i need to write down, and have a look at, but some will cause a standed 1 Hit, and knock off a point of KILL as well,

Weapons, i have 2 choices one is the weapons dice with the armour mod, or Go with the idea that "Evo Dogfight Had " which was ATTACK DICE and DAMAGE DICE ?

So the choice is the following

1. Normal Evo Damage

2. New Evo ( Dogfight ) which is

Roll Attack Dice to roll TARGET + to Hit

Roll Damage dice to beat ARMOUR to score 1 Hit, or Beat KILL to destroy in one blow

With the new system, any weapons can attack with a D6 or D10, as its only about Hitting, its the Damage dice that you use for a HIT/KILL

Beam weapons can have more attack dice, or single shot missiles would have a single attack, but more Damage dice

IE/ UNGUIDED ROCKET ATTACK 1D6 DAMAGE 1D6

UNGUIDED MISSILE ATTACK 1D6 DAMAGE 1D10
UNGUIDED MISSILE MED ATTACK 1D6 DAMAGE 1D10+1
UNGUIDED MISSILE HY ATTACK 1D6 DAMAGE 1D10+3
GUIDED MISSILE ATTACK 1D10 DAMAGE 1D10

VULCAN CANNONS ATTACKS 4D6 DAMAGE 1D6+1
BEAM RIFLE ATTACKS 1D6 DAMAGE 1D10+5

The above size 10 Gundam could have the following

SIZE 10
TARGET 5+
ARMOUR 6+
KILL 10+
HITS 10

So you need to Hit it with a 5+ ( TARGET ), and then roll Damage dice, to beat ARMOUR to score 1 hit, or Over KILL to destroy it.

Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this thread, but I've been mulling a few things over in my head. One thing is that the Gundams are in fact bloody gigantic - a 1/60 scale Gundam model kit is more than a foot tall when assembled, so size 10 might even be a bit on the conservative side! some of the later series have smaller mecha, but once you get past the One-Year War period in Gundam, power levels of mecha just explode through the roof.

More later, I hope!

You could have mega weapons, like 1 mega Hit is 5 standed hits, so a size 10 mech is killed after 10 hits or 2 mega hits

Size 60 gundam
Target 8+ Kill 20
Hits 60 / 6 mega

mega laser rifle - range 60" damge : 1d10+6 mega damage*
which is 10 hits normal Evo or 2 Mega hits, i hit destroys a Tank

Just off the top of my head....

Well that is a option.

I have already been fiddleing with adding mechs/mecha to the game.
But I just extended the sizeing to follow something simelar to CBTs weight classes. (since Joyride did a small line of 1/55 scale mechwarrior models).

Light is a size 5
Medium is a size 6
Heavy is a size 7
Assault is a size 8

Then i just took stats and abilities that were already in the game (like tough and armored) and just modified them to fit a mech unit.
Such as extended the hight of of the objects that it could step over, and gave it more resiliance by just increasing the amout of failed hits it could take before being destroyed.

As for weapons i just took fitting replacements from other BFE units like:
120mm cannons
M2 .50 Machine guns
And the SAM missles.

But he on to his own.

Back