(Maybe not so) Stupid questions

JamalloKreen

Mongoose
What is the current BASIC introductory book to the Conan RPG? Is it ISBN 1904577695, published January 2004, according to Amazon? How is this related to the "Atlantanean Edition" (or is that just a fancy named for the pocket edition of Conan rules)?

I apologize for asking what probably seems like an elementary question to most of you, but it is an elementary question. When last I checked on the Conan RPG, Mongoose was offering to send out reduced-price revised second editions to those who clipped off a corner of a page from their first edition copies. Recently I had the chance to buy a used copy of the game, but the seller couldn't explain to my satisfaction which edition it was, so I didn't buy it. I read the current FAQs for Conan and the answer wasn't in there. Since I can't find anyone locally who plays the game and can guide me, I don't want to be trapped buying a non-current rule set when I finally do splurge on a copy. (I've been aching for a copy of Scrolls of Skelos since I first read of it, but without the core rulebook, what use is it? Now a Stygian boxed set is forthcoming? Ditto my comment. Ditto, I say!)
 

AZZA

Mongoose
I'm pretty sure a similar question has been asked before adn the problem that is arising is that the ISBN is the same on both copies. The difference is on the cover. Underneath the cover picture it says "Atlantean Edition"
As far as I know this is the only way to tell them apart.
 

argo

Mongoose
The ISBN's are the same for both editions. I'd guess that this has something to do with Mongoose not getting hosed by breaking contracts their printer/distrubitor so long as they offered the publishing world the second edition as simply a "second printing" rather than a different book. But of course that is just wild speculation on my part.

The second printing says "Atlantanean Edition" on the front cover, the first does not. There will never be a reprint of the first printing. I can't say for sure but I would wager that if you are ordering new from Amazon (as opposed to used) that you will be getting the AE Conan. The first printing sold out completly in a very short time after release and by now I expect that the AE Conan is the only copy that will be in the major distribution channels such as Amazon and Borders. Could be wrong though.

My understanding of the "Pocket Conan" is that it will be the same content as the Atlantanean Edition but minus the art and some of the extras (it will probably drop the chapter with the REH essay for example) and will probably be softcover. If you are looking for a "basic introductory book" the Pocket Conan should fit the bill quite nicely, a no-frills version of the larger core book.

Hope that helps.
 

slaughterj

Mongoose
Search my username for a recent post analyzing what the Pocket Guide has in comparison with the full Atlantean version.
 

lastbesthope

Mongoose
argo said:
I can't say for sure but I would wager that if you are ordering new from Amazon (as opposed to used) that you will be getting the AE Conan. The first printing sold out completly in a very short time after release and by now I expect that the AE Conan is the only copy that will be in the major distribution channels such as Amazon and Borders. Could be wrong though.

Others on the forum have recently ordered from amazon (maybe ca but can't remember) and gotten the first printing, unless they can guarantee it'ss econd edition, you run the risk.

LBH
 

JamalloKreen

Mongoose
argo said:
(snip)

The second printing says "Atlantanean Edition" on the front cover, the first does not. There will never be a reprint of the first printing. I can't say for sure but I would wager that if you are ordering new from Amazon (as opposed to used) that you will be getting the AE Conan. The first printing sold out completly in a very short time after release and by now I expect that the AE Conan is the only copy that will be in the major distribution channels such as Amazon and Borders. Could be wrong though.

My understanding of the "Pocket Conan" is that it will be the same content as the Atlantanean Edition but minus the art and some of the extras (it will probably drop the chapter with the REH essay for example) and will probably be softcover. If you are looking for a "basic introductory book" the Pocket Conan should fit the bill quite nicely, a no-frills version of the larger core book.

Hope that helps.

Ah! So "The Atlantean Edition" isn't a different set of rules, just the revised and retitled basic rules. Correct?
That makes shopping for a current rule set MUCH easier. I was afraid that it was Conan RPG rules for King Kull without reference to the Hyborian Age.

Thanks for your help, folks. Someday I'll find people with whom I can play this game face to face. Someday. Some ... *sigh*
 
JamalloKreen said:
Thanks for your help, folks. Someday I'll find people with whom I can play this game face to face. Someday. Some ... *sigh*

Come to Dragon*Con 2005 and play Conan: The Throne of Blood part 2 and win some prizes if you're the best roleplayer.

http://www.dragoncon.org

Will be posting my game in the next week on the gaming site (still deciding the time slots and such).
 
Top