Matt SPrang'es year end message

mthomason said:
Bon-Al Ironforge said:
In fact, unless JD (who created the world) has final say over what Mongoose is producing

Actually I'm under the impression he does (at least for the books, probably not for the S&P articles), or at the very least gets some input into the releases (hence the problem with Mongoose being unable to get any new LW books approved last year when he unfortunately fell ill)

Really? I did not know that, I just assumed that his involvement was limited to nothing more than rubber stamping and collecting royalties. If he is still involved in it all, then that is great, in fact it is something that I totally respect! I just assumed that after so long working on Magnamund that he would have other stuff to do, and maybe even be a little bored with it :shock:

Al

Here we go - knew I'd read it somewhere :)

from http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8469

msprange said:
Hi guys,

First off, there are no plans, whatsoever, to stop, curtail or slow down our RPG department. At all.

As for new Lone Wolf supplements, I am sorry to say that Mr Joe Dever is quite ill at the moment and we are reluctant to put too much under his nose at this time for approval. Once Mr Lone Wolf is bqack to full health we'll be reviewing what the RPG is doing and where it can go.

Yep, and jd's involvement also extends to game mechanics. For instance, he personally approved of the magician of dessi class; august hahn took a guess on the class at the time of developing, when he linked the elder magii to the shianti (apparently both draw on the same source of power for their arts; and its been hinted they both come from the same world where perhaps the elder magii were servitors and apprentices to the shianti) and there fore gave the dessi similar arts to those of the shianti. This was later on approved by jd, when he said that the magii and shianti do draw on similar sources for their arts.

Also, august had access to devers notes in order to devlop some classes and setting info; for example, the telchos warrior and telchos itself never appear in the gamebooks, but they are in dever's notes and he intended to go there in the last few gamebooks.

Therre was also talk of an anti-kai class; but joe dever dissallowed development of it, saying that the wolf's bane thing was a one-off thing (or something like that)

My main problem with fanfic is the sometimes poor level of language. These stories are often written by people who aren't perfectly comfortable writing in English, and while the exercise is good for them, it's a pain to read that for leisure. The texts are often not reread either, so typoes are commonplace (we could also argue that this is the case for many published products).

columbob said:
My main problem with fanfic is the sometimes poor level of language. These stories are often written by people who aren't perfectly comfortable writing in English, and while the exercise is good for them, it's a pain to read that for leisure. The texts are often not reread either, so typoes are commonplace (we could also argue that this is the case for many published products).

That's actually my biggest problem with the Mongoose Lone Wolf releases. The proofreading is really quite lax at times.

-GB

Ghost Bear said:
That's actually my biggest problem with the Mongoose Lone Wolf releases. The proofreading is really quite lax at times.

-GB

It's not just LW, if I go by their S&P mag. Most of their lines probably suffer the same problems.

Regarding whether or not an LW RPG pocketbook would be worth buying, I think that all depends on what is done to fix all the little mistakes from the core book. For example, there is no explanation of what constitutes a 'light' weapon, and the rules on sundering an item do not explain the hardness trait.
These things can be found elsewhere, but it would be more convienient to have them all in one place. (I'd also hope it deals with my own, personal, bug-bear. The morningstar is more versitial than the mace, does the same amount of damage, yet is both cheaper and lighter! It makes no sense!).
Oh, and LBH, I'll do you a deal. You buy the LW RPG, either core book or pocket book, and I'll get the B5 RPG. Thus the cosmic balance is maintained.

Interestingly, the guy who runs my FLGS told me that Hobby Games (a UK distributor) were offering free copies of LW with other purchases to stores. I guess that means they aren't selling. :cry:

Maybe I'm being Professor Thick, head of Thick Studies at Thick University here, but...

How would sales of a pocket book of the RPG give any sort of indication of the popularity of the line? Most people who've followed the RPG more than likely have the big RPG book already, and most people probably wouldn't want to pay extra for a pocket version. I definitely wouldn't.

This doesn't remotely suggest that these same people would not be interested in new Lone Wolf material.

-GB

Bewildered Badger said:
For example, there is no explanation of what constitutes a 'light' weapon, and the rules on sundering an item do not explain the hardness trait.

Don't worry. The only explanation of the non proficiency penalties is tucked away in the equipment chapter on the same page as the encumbrance tables and I haven't found any explanation of the nonprof penalty for armour yet.

Back