Matt SPrang'es year end message

The Wolf said:
A LW Pocketbook is on the way iirc :)

Top of this thread:

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Two things on the cards at the moment.

First off, bucket loads of support via S&P (and, hey, it's free!).

Second, we are currently preparing the Lone Wolf Pocket Rulebook - we'll review other book releases after this goes on sale.

a pocket rulebook? isnt that like adding to the lonewolf action figure line: lonewolf in a blue cloak instead of a green one? surely it wouldnt sell that well and if the future of our beloved rpg is hanging on this... :(

Yeah, but logically speaking, it's giving us material we already have. While it may be a runaway success, it may also be a dismal failure, with people not wanting to buy a copy of rules they already bought.

lastbesthope said:
Xex said:
Yes, if the pocket book sells well (after taking into account that most ppl who already have the rulebook wont buy it since its the same thing minimized) then we could see future sourcebooks.

Well I know a fair few people bought the pocket B5 book, even though it was the same thing as the hardback.

LBH

Oh I am sure the majority of the people here on this baord will definately buy the pocket book; I know I will (and maybe conan as well, since I have yet to update to the atlantean edition; hope that sending in that page corner thing is still on) But when I said majority of people may not buy it I meant the general fans/public.

However, since the lonewolf pocketbook will be reminiscent of the original gamebooks, I think it could sell very well. If they really want to make the figures go up they could add a play-your-own-adventure at the back...though that could eact up the pages a bit.

Also, lbh, collector of all pocketbooks, trust me you willike the rpg. I am surprised you haven't tried it yet; its got lots of innovations that no one else in the d20 business has utlised, such as base magickal combat bonus (which is the sorcerors version of the bab and applies to sorcery only. Best thin gabout it is that sorcerors now get multiple attacks per round when using bcs, just like a warrior gets multiple attacks per round using bab).

Also, spells and abilities are embedded withint the classes themselves, as are special abilitites. Its really neat...no need to flick through pages, just have your class opened up or better yet, photocopied up at your table along with your char sheet and you are good to go. And lastly the classes themselvers are the best part, each is basically a prestige class made into a base class, with most averaging around 10-12 pages long due to the fact that their unique special abilities, orders of sorcery, etc etc are embedded within the class itself. Also each type of magick using class has its own brand of uniquely different magick (totally different from standard dnd , or even conan).

If there is one thing I'm sure, this is that I won't never ever buy the pocket rulebook! :p

But I also think that Mongoose know perfectly what they are doing and I think the main goal is to hook people who haven't bought the core rulebook yet and are not willing to pay "so much" money.
Once they are hooked, then they'll buy the other supplements.

I'm a fervent fan of more supplements (i.e. Might of Magnamund, Bestiary -why not but only if it includes stats of "big bosses"- , but mainly a "lastland guidebook" and above all some real epic campaign).

Xex said:
Oh I am sure the majority of the people here on this baord will definately buy the pocket book

If only out of some vague deluded belief that in doing so we are supporting the product line and encouraging them to make more for us, right? Well, that's my exuse for wanting to purchase it when it comes out anyway :p.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
If only out of some vague deluded belief that in doing so we are supporting the product line and encouraging them to make more for us, right? Well, that's my exuse for wanting to purchase it when it comes out anyway :p.

I'm going to buy it but there better be a proper supliment following it!

My funds are stretched enough as it is, and you can quote me later when things go wrong and remember that wise drakkai warrior who said thisll all end in tears... and ill point balgin in the eyes just to prove my point

I would only buy it if I played regularly and needed a smaller book to carry around. As it is, with the little support for the game, I don't see myself playing it too often. I'd rather buy a board game for the same price.

someone stop me before i start spouting some conspiracy about mongoose making a promise to do more for lw if their suretofail product does not succeed, sorry paranoia talking there, wow, i listen to rpgs! :p

If it fails, we have lost nothing - ie there will be no more LW supplements, which is were we are now.

Don't get paranoid about the fact that Mongoose are actually supporting LW (if only in a small way). That is kind of twisted logic.

Here is my take on this...
Who cares?
I mean, there is already a lot of stuff out there on Magnamund, from the origional LW books (slowly but surely being done online by Project Aon) to all the fanfic that is being produced by Tower of the Sun. That says to me that the world is alive and kicking. Do we want to see this go into D&D style product overload? I do not think so.

While it is nice to have new suppliments, there is also a requirement for someone to write the suppliment, someone to edit the suppliment, people to playtest the suppliment, someone to publish the suppliment, someone to print the suppliment, someone to ship the suppliment and someone to sell the suppliment. I do not think that it is as easy as saying "lets publish a suppliment", and if in the end the suppliment does not sell, then they run the risk of financial failure.

Instead, I suggest this. Lets all start writing. The Wolf, in Tower of the Sun, has made a call for people to start submitting to S&P for publication, and while people are correct, S&P is not the same as having a book to open up to, because it is available in PDF, just print it out and add it to a binder.

If all of us fans started to submit stuff for S&P then all of a sudden thier would be a whole lot of stuff for all of us to use.

Just a thought, and hopefully my article on a Dwarf mining village in northern Bor makes the cut!

Al

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
Who cares?
I do. I can care less about fanfic sites. I wold rather have books which are "canon" to the game.

No, I don't want it to go the way D&D has gone recently, but there is pleanty out the in this world to explore.

I for one will also not ever be buying a pocket player guide. I have the book already, I don't need to buy th rules again.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
Bon-Al Ironforge said:
Who cares?
I do. I can care less about fanfic sites. I wold rather have books which are "canon" to the game.

To be fair, some of that "fanfic" ends up becoming canon. Most of it does not, however, and I agree that the printed supplement wins the argument, and a pocket book seems fairly unnecessary.

DuskFox said:
I agree that the printed supplement wins the argument, and a pocket book seems fairly unnecessary.

I am not in disagreement with this, but I also am not one who follows cannon to the letter, I often find a lot of "cannon" to be poorly thought out in terms of how it all logically fits in together (I just went on a tirade at TotS about this in one of SlaveMasters threads, so forgive me if I am still on that). While it is great to sit back and read interesting histories, find out more about classes and such, RPing is also about creating for yourself, which cannot be overlooked or taken for granted. I may have been to harsh in my last post to say "who cares" (I just got back from a liquid lunch with my boss :wink: ), I think the point is valid, that thier are sources out there, and just because they are not published by Mongoose, that does not make them any less valuable. In fact, unless JD (who created the world) has final say over what Mongoose is producing, can we really consider it all "cannon" in the purest sense of the term?

Al

Bon-Al Ironforge said:
In fact, unless JD (who created the world) has final say over what Mongoose is producing

Actually I'm under the impression he does (at least for the books, probably not for the S&P articles), or at the very least gets some input into the releases (hence the problem with Mongoose being unable to get any new LW books approved last year when he unfortunately fell ill)

Back