Matt SPrang'es year end message

A

Anonymous

Ok, I only read Matt's year end message right now, but apparently its been up since Nov. It mentioned the industry in general, and mongoose'ss future product release tidbits, among other things like a new liscense(possibly a new star wars rpg, which would be very,very cool)

Lonewolf was not mentioned though, so I think its safe to assume that aside from the port bax articles we wont be seeing anything for the game next year. While the game is 'complete' and we don't need more sourcebooks, it would still be nice to have might of magnamund to have more martial oriented/magickless classes, and perhaps a bestiary.

Anyhow, since lw was not even mentioned, can we have an official word on whether the line is 'dead', so far as future supplements are concerned, or if there is still a possibility for retail based supplements? I would just like to have the matter put to rest.

Oh for....ok just ignore the error in the subject line. :x

Xex said:
Anyhow, since lw was not even mentioned, can we have an official word on whether the line is 'dead', so far as future supplements are concerned, or if there is still a possibility for retail based supplements? I would just like to have the matter put to rest.

I'm with you on this, Xex. I'd kind of like to know what Mongoose intends for Lone Wolf. It'd be nice to just get an honest answer as to whether or not they've abandoned the line for commercial releases.

Yes, they were already nice enought to let us know there would not be any commercial release in 2005, and their honesty was appreciated. Hopefully they can give us an idea for 2006, or at least some part of it.
Since the rpg did pretty well, I can only guess that the reason for no new release has something to do with the liscense agreement. But thats just a guess.

We haven't heard from August Hahn in a long while as well; I am aware he was busy with the startship troopers rpg, and then also on leave for a while, but after that no news. Is he still with mongoose or not? (If so he is probably busy with the second edition of babylon 5)

Hi guys,

Two things on the cards at the moment.

First off, bucket loads of support via S&P (and, hey, it's free!).

Second, we are currently preparing the Lone Wolf Pocket Rulebook - we'll review other book releases after this goes on sale.

Thanks Matt. Just one thing, where would one send submissions for future supplement (if any) articles?

I would look at the Lore Hall of Light on the TotS Xex. There's an open-call project up there that people are contributing to.

As Matthew says, there's a lot of support coming from S&P in 2006. There are several TotS contributors who are working with myself to submit classes and other ideas to S&P.

I spoke to Ian Belcher about this recently and we're stoked to see what the Tower can provide to the canon of the RPG. Since I did the Port Bax article and have the knowledge how Mongoose's S&P submissions work, along with the style guide I am acting as the project lead over on the Tower of the Sun.

~Grey Wolf (Kai Master)

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Second, we are currently preparing the Lone Wolf Pocket Rulebook - we'll review other book releases after this goes on sale.

hopefully we will see more of LW

Methos said:
msprange said:
Hi guys,

hopefully we will see more of LW

Methos... dude. That's exactly what he's saying. More LW in S&P (lots more), and the LW Pocket Rulebook. That's more. It's just... not a lot more.

Having a strong support in S&P is fine.
This is really really cool!

But...

But this is not the same as having REAL books printed that you can manipulate and turn every page with your little fat fingers!
What I'm saying is that I would like to buy MANY real supplements to flesh the LW RpG:
* Sommerlund sourcebook, or, better: Lastlands sourcebook
* Might of Magnamund (to have the little brother of Magic of Magnamund)
* Bestiary? Why not but a BIG one with "End Level boss" stats (Ixiataga, Cadak, and so on).
* big adventure for mid-level characters

I know this is not the direction the line is going and I am thankfull to have at least the S&P articles to sustain my hunger for LW RpG material but anyway... I like to dream on New Years Day...

Anonymous said:
Having a strong support in S&P is fine.
This is really really cool!

But...

But this is not the same as having REAL books printed that you can manipulate and turn every page with your little fat fingers!
What I'm saying is that I would like to buy MANY real supplements to flesh the LW RpG:
* Sommerlund sourcebook, or, better: Lastlands sourcebook
* Might of Magnamund (to have the little brother of Magic of Magnamund)
* Bestiary? Why not but a BIG one with "End Level boss" stats (Ixiataga, Cadak, and so on).
* big adventure for mid-level characters

I know this is not the direction the line is going and I am thankfull to have at least the S&P articles to sustain my hunger for LW RpG material but anyway... I like to dream on New Years Day...

they already did a good job on the darkelf-adventures, why not do the same for LW?

Sorry, the anonymous post is by me!

And, Methos: I completely agree with you!
This is just the kind of "mega-campaign" that I'm waiting for in the Magnamund world.

I'm with you guys here. Magazines are fine and dandy but they aren't the way a line should be suported. I have pretty much lost faith that they will make anything else in this line to draw my attention.

Unfortunate, I really liked the setting book and was looking forward to more on this than I was on Conan.

Rikki-Tikki-Tavi said:
I'm with you guys here. Magazines are fine and dandy but they aren't the way a line should be suported. I have pretty much lost faith that they will make anything else in this line to draw my attention.

Unfortunate, I really liked the setting book and was looking forward to more on this than I was on Conan.

Same here. Look at the other older Mongoose lines, such as Judge Dredd or Slaine or Armageddon 2089, they're only supported in S&P nowaday, if even that. The company is concentrating on its big horses, i.e. Conan, B5 and Starship Troopers. I guess that's where the money is to be made.

columbob said:
Same here. Look at the other older Mongoose lines, such as Judge Dredd or Slaine or Armageddon 2089, they're only supported in S&P nowaday, if even that. The company is concentrating on its big horses, i.e. Conan, B5 and Starship Troopers. I guess that's where the money is to be made.

Judge Dredd & Slaine did get a considerable amount of support, although they have both run their course. A2089 got products that covered each aspect of the world (space, infantry, etc). Remember that sourcebooks only sell a fraction of the numbers main rulebooks sell and sales diminish as more supplements are produced.

Jeremiah had one sourcebook and stopped, Wars seems to be drying up. I think both haven't done as well as hoped. I hope that isn't the case with LW, but if the sales of MoM and the Darklands weren't that good, then I guess we shan't see much more.

But who knows maybe millions will buy the pocket rulebook and something new will follow. :)

Yes, if the pocket book sells well (after taking into account that most ppl who already have the rulebook wont buy it since its the same thing minimized) then we could see future sourcebooks.

What I really care about though, is that might be released, along with a bestiary. After that while i will happily purchase any new supp's, I wont mind if mongoose stops producing more sourcebooks, since the line will then be complete, IMO.

Then maybe in a few years mongoose could restart the line, with a full color version 2 rulebook with updated d20 mechanics. (dodge bonus, armor = DR, powered down classes, deadlier combat etc etc kind of like in conan or a game of thrones rpg) Or with runequest coming out, and mongoose making it OGL, v2 lowrpg could be rune'd! :p

Xex said:
Yes, if the pocket book sells well (after taking into account that most ppl who already have the rulebook wont buy it since its the same thing minimized) then we could see future sourcebooks.

Well I know a fair few people bought the pocket B5 book, even though it was the same thing as the hardback.

LBH

If an LW Pocket came out I'd buy it to see if I liked the game, then buy the Hardback and supplements if I did.

LBH
Owner of all Mongoose Pocket Books

Back