Map issues - possible solution?

Padre

Mongoose
OK, so there are some problems with maps. Some need to be replaced, some don't look too good, some don't even exist yet. So, how about a map-pack? Such supplement could contain generic building floorplans, generic village maps as well as some more specific stuff. Besides, it could also contain a proper map of Shadizar and an improved map of Messantia as a bonus. Of course I don't think Mongoose should cancel the whole Shadizar map replacement operation or give up printing maps in other books, but with a map-pack we would have a choice - buy the supplement and recieve new stuff AND proper city box maps, or exchange Shadizar (and Messantia? :) ) maps without buying the pack. What do you think?

More and better maps...yes...

How about 'ambush' location maps...

Pict territory maps

Stuff that can be used with minatures but capture the feel of Conan

Agreed.
The maps must really show the flavour of Conan. Years ago there were all sorts of detailed floorplans available and with all this new technology I thought we would see some stunning battle mats/floorplans.

I think a book of maps may well be the best answer.
I would certainly prefer to buy a 'map pack' with the new Shadizar map and an improved Messantia map amongst others than go through the whole replacement map rigmarole.
Maybe some nice antique looking maps.

As long as the Map pack was adopted as an additional to replacing the ones in the box sets I'd probably pick one up as well as my replacement.

LBH

Very definitely, a great number of multipurpose maps. However I think people are looking for a pack of maps specific to the Conan mythology. I mean most people would want proper maps of Middle Earth if they were playing a LotR campaign wouldn't they?

LBH

I mean most people would want proper maps of Middle Earth if they were playing a LotR campaign wouldn't they?

That is a perfect example!
The maps that ICE produced for MERP were fantastic, both the colour landscape maps and the more detailed buildings and ruins etc.
Mongoose could do alot worse than have a look at what ICE did with MERP.

Allow me to rephrase that.

Can anybody help me find some nice, non-PDF battlemaps which I could use for Conan?

My group made several custom battle maps. They're essentially table (poster) sized with the infamous Conan border (from the game books) running along the edge. They're grided up with 1 inch squares and laminated so we can just draw whatever terrain/obstacles needed. We've got sand colored backgrounds and ocean waves (for ship combat). They look *very* cool.

If anyone can tell me how to post a pic I would.

We're also in the process of making PC tokens, using the characters' portraits in little framed circles a la the Shadizar tokens. I think this is far better than minis. Our characters aren't represented by bad minis, plus they're very easy and cheap to make, so we can also make'em for baddies.

Ralph said:
I think a book of maps may well be the best answer.
I would certainly prefer to buy a 'map pack' with the new Shadizar map and an improved Messantia map amongst others than go through the whole replacement map rigmarole.
Maybe some nice antique looking maps.
It could be an atlas that would be a companion book to the gazetteer Road of Kings.

One of our players recently posted this map of Greyhawk from a website detailing The City of Greyhawk Map. Okay, it's for the deedledee game, sure, but anyone around my age remembers the World of Greyhawk, and these guys are really detailing this city. It is interactive, and can be saved in other formats.

Wouldn't do for a Hyborian Age city, but just refreshing the posts of us fans who appreciate good maps. I don't know Javascript, I only do a little html trans updating of work web pages, I'm not a web designer, but maybe this will inspire some of you to come up with similar projects in the Conan arena? :)

I know the Mongoose Hyboria map is considered official. And I know that Dale Rippke's essay on Yaralet(?) ended up placing the city in Corinthia.

What about his latest essays on Zamora and the Black Kingdoms influencing the offical map?

It seem to me that the offical map should be as "correct" as possible.

BTW, even as a child of 12, I felt that the layout of the Black Kingdoms was wrong.

As a new Conan customer and GM, as well as a huge map junkie, I have to say that this issue is really my only "negative" impression the products so far. In particular, I was disappointed that the Road of Kings supplement didn't include more detailed maps for the various countries. I would absolutely love to see something akin to the Kingdoms of Kalamar atlas.

Anyways, I don't want to end my first post on a downer, so let me just say that in every other respect I find the products that I have so far purchased to be exceptional, and my gaming group seems quite excited about adventuring in Conan's world.

Lawdog said:
As a new Conan customer and GM, as well as a huge map junkie, I have to say that this issue is really my only "negative" impression the products so far. In particular, I was disappointed that the Road of Kings supplement didn't include more detailed maps for the various countries. I would absolutely love to see something akin to the Kingdoms of Kalamar atlas.

Anyways, I don't want to end my first post on a downer, so let me just say that in every other respect I find the products that I have so far purchased to be exceptional, and my gaming group seems quite excited about adventuring in Conan's world.
Yeah, I can agree with that; if there's one area where I feel I could have wished for more, its the map area!

Welcome to the boards, Lawdog! :)

Totally agree. Was HUGELY disappointed in the maps within Tales of the Black Kingdom. There definetly seems to be a trend within Mongoose on poor map development. I use props for my games and the map of the Ziggurat in the second scenario of the Tales of the Black Kingdom is forcing me to completely draw it up on my own.

Back