Magic of Glorantha - Preview

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

The first details of Magic of Gloranmtha are up on our site, along with two excerpts of artwork that grace this fine tome!

You can find them all at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=39

You know this is the first preview that makes me really feel that this is a new Runequest and not just and alternative version of what has gone before. I am now really looking forward to the new Gloranthan material.

andakitty said:
Oh, my. That is some nice artwork. The city on the cover looks...Melnibonean. :shock:

The EWF is really the Dragon Empire in it's prime. I don't think Elric comes about until sometimes in the fourth age.

Very nice Clanking City indeed. I especially like the implications of the billowing smoke - what are they using for fuel?!? If the content is as good as the piccie, we're onto something here. Like it. Like it a lot.

I don't like the generic D&D fireball though. What spell is that? Would've been nice to see a "Sunspear" or something like that. Or a Sever Spirit. :twisted:

TCC is nice, there are some brilliant British industrial/victorian paintings that could be used to give, Ahem! flesh to the Clanking city. And I'm sure Dickens could be used to describe it. I might try to find some.

All Hail their dark satanic mills!

sarahnewton said:
Very nice Clanking City indeed. I especially like the implications of the billowing smoke - what are they using for fuel?!? If the content is as good as the piccie, we're onto something here. Like it. Like it a lot.

I don't like the generic D&D fireball though. What spell is that? Would've been nice to see a "Sunspear" or something like that. Or a Sever Spirit. :twisted:

Maybe its your favourite spell: skybolt :)

I don't like the generic D&D fireball though.

You know, that's what I initially thought, but then realized, hey, there's only so many ways you can depict a blast of elemental fire scorching someone...

Besides the more I looked at the picture, the more RueQuest-y it started to feel. Weird bone armor, a creepy cultish guy casting the spell. I can't find fault.

What spell is that?

Presumably "firebolt," judging by the name of the image.

SteveMND said:
I don't like the generic D&D fireball though.

You know, that's what I initially thought, but then realized, hey, there's only so many ways you can depict a blast of elemental fire scorching someone...

Besides the more I looked at the picture, the more RueQuest-y it started to feel. Weird bone armor, a creepy cultish guy casting the spell. I can't find fault.

What spell is that?

Presumably "firebolt," judging by the name of the image.

So are you saying the EWF or God learners had access to D&D magic?!?!?!

No wonder they kept it a big secret.

So are you saying the EWF or God learners had access to D&D magic?

No, I'm saying no matter how many ways you draw a picture of a guy blasting another guy with elemetal fire, it's going to all look relatively similar...

3rd age magic seemed much more 'understated' to me (which I liked), but I would fully expect the sort of immense magics wielded by the 2nd Age powers to be far flashier and dramatic in scope.

Say, is the MRQ 2nd Age stuff canon?

118fs204378.jpg

I mean, will Greg be incoproating any of the 2nd age stuff into his works/timeline, or it is just all gonna go "boom". FOr instance, are any of the cults in the Cults of GLorantha book going to survive beyond the second age?

It's weird the way these thing work. The Clanking City pic just doesn't do it for me - too much smoke I think. It looks like a generic "factory", whereas in Glorantha with it's emphasis on magic (and the weird twist that everything gets) I would have always imagined something different. More claustrophobic, more "primitive/industrial" in feel, and certainly no chimneys. Something like a Borg cube, even.

Back