Looking for Conan RPG Setting Information (Not Rules)

Amaril

Mongoose
I'm looking for some recommendations for Conan setting information, but I'd like resources that are more about the cultures and the locales rather than rules for the game.

I am considering acquiring these books to use with the Savage Worlds rules, but I don't want to waste money on books that are heavily loaded with d20 rules and stats.

As an aside, if anyone has a recommendation for a single world/setting reference that is not an RPG product per se, please post them here as well.

I appreciate any and all help.

The Road of Kings (or Return to the Road of Kings, in 2nd edition) is largely system-neutral and gives a detailed overview of the whole setting.

Most of the setting books are mostly about cultural information. Return to the Road of Kings is good place to start. Even Ruins of Hyboria can be useful in an SW game.

VincentDarlage said:
Most of the setting books are mostly about cultural information. Return to the Road of Kings is good place to start. Even Ruins of Hyboria can be useful in an SW game.
Thanks to both of you.

I guess what I'm looking for is a list of such titles. There are a lot of Conan RPG supplements to sort through.

With out digging out the books, pretty much any location book is mostly fluff. Stygia, Tales from the Black Kingdoms, Pirate Islands ect. Plus the ones already mentioned.

So far it seems most of the books are more setting fluff than anything else. If I get time later and remember I will look threw the ones I have.

Thank you, all!

I think I'm able to single out most of the setting books. I'll start with the Return to the Road of Kings.

Is Faith and Fervour more setting information or d20 rules?

PS - Here's a list I came up with so far. Is there anything I'm missing or should take out?
  • Across the Thunder River
  • Aquilonia - Flower of the West
  • Argos and Zingara
  • Cimmeria
  • Cities of Hyboria
  • Faith and Fervour
  • Khitai
  • Messantia - City of Riches
  • Return to the Road of Kings
  • Ruins of Hyboria
  • Shadizar - City of Wickedness
  • Shem - Gateway to the South
  • Stygia - Serpent of the South

Of the ones I have and or have read. Granted this is still going off memory but the following are all fluff/setting heavy. So take what I say with a grain of salt as i am doing this totally from memory.

# Across the Thunder River
# Aquilonia - Flower of the West
# Argos and Zingara
# Cimmeria
# Khitai
# Messantia - City of Riches
# Return to the Road of Kings
# Shadizar - City of Wickedness
# Shem - Gateway to the South
# Stygia - Serpent of the South

Don't have the following nor read them so no clue.
# Cities of Hyboria
# Faith and Fervour
# Ruins of Hyboria

Start with Return to the Road of Kings and you should be set, it's all setting. A lot of the books you mention either have a ton of d20 stat blocks (of which I'm very thankful for), feats, skills and other d20 specific stuff. Unless you're planning on doing some heavy conversions you'll only get use of 50-60% of the books.

flatscan said:
Start with Return to the Road of Kings and you should be set, it's all setting. A lot of the books you mention either have a ton of d20 stat blocks (of which I'm very thankful for), feats, skills and other d20 specific stuff. Unless you're planning on doing some heavy conversions you'll only get use of 50-60% of the books.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip!

If you want "purist" information (that is, only what Howard wrote), note that many of the books above also use info from pastiches and things invented by the authors of the rulebooks themselves.

Thanks everyone. Return to the Road of Kings seems to be the right place to start. I appreciate all of your help.

Back